Guitarists

Knottyhed

• Members

You cant set your own internal benchmarks for behaviour based on what you think others would appreciate or not. Pretty simple really.

In my humble opinion.

Are we still talking about cake?

Of course you can, the whole point of what is and isn't acceptable is what society and other people consider it to be. In some societies murdering and eating an enemy is considered acceptable...

I'm not sure what that has to do with their being a high ratio of douche baggery amoungst guitarists?

• Members

Are we still talking about cake?

Of course you can, the whole point of what is and isn't acceptable is what society and other people consider it to be. In some societies murdering and eating an enemy is considered acceptable...

I'm not sure what that has to do with their being a high ratio of douche baggery amoungst guitarists?

I reckon there are always outsized egos and people who like to trash others in every walk of life. It's human nature, well at least for some people. The question is who can talk the talk and who can walk the walk, and who cares?

• Members

No, I disagree. The whole point of whats acceptable is what you feel crosses a line you've set for yourself. Not what others tell you is the line and pressure you to cross with them.

The old "if you saw your friends jump off a bridge, would you jump off too" comes to mind.

Seems to me you were asking about people disparaging others for what they see as failings in a performance or something similar. I dont see how thats any different than life in general. You can be a considerate conscientious compassionate person, or an asshole. It's your call is what I'm saying, nothing more.

• Members

Oh thats cool yeah.. I'm not much of a social type these days, so I guess if people are trash talking alot then thats what they're doing.

Maybe they just need a big honking musclebound shredder to tell them to f*** off and things'll change, heh.

Oh and yeah I didnt mean things like murder or kidnapping, just that narrow margin more like etiquette or civility or whatever.

• Members

I'm sure far more than 50% of the people that play guitar out there are better than me, but I just do it because I like to. Of course people will be constantly comparing themselves to others.

Competitiveness is human nature. We all want to excel above the rest. Everything in this world is RELATIVE. We compare and contrast everything on a relative basis, not on the substance of an isolated definition.

Accept this, move on, and live without worry. It's nothing worth worrying about, because it won't help you enjoy playing guitar in the first place.

• Members

There's so many posts on how many guitars we should own, on whether someone is worthy of their expensive gear, on whether it is right to have great chops and show them off in an aledgedly tastless manner. If they go to a gig see another guitarist who has more skill they get depressed and winge about how they feel like giving up (or simply disparage that persons achievements), if they see someone with less skill they stand around telling their buddies they could do the gig better. Whenever i'm on forums I read all this crap, often when i meet other guitarists the conversion turns to this sort of crap... I just feel like I'm adrift in a sea of ass-holes sometimes.

Sounds like your hanging around the wrong crowd.

• Members

If they go to a gig see another guitarist who has more skill they get depressed and winge about how they feel like giving up (or simply disparage that persons achievements)

I don't think this is completely true. When I listen to guitarists, especially people who are genuinely nice people and whom I have known from outside the guitar world, and then hear them play the guitar, it inspires me. I think if that seemingly ordinary person I know can do it, then I can do it too. These people are often the same ones who will tell you that you can do it too.

That being said, I know that not everyone falls into this category. If they don't, however, it's likely I won't be able to respect them as a guitarist or a person, anyway.

• Members

I've never heard a drummer slag off another drummer for having too many drums/drum kits

as a drummer for longer than ive played guitar, here's what drummers bitch about:

1 - "wow, another fill, this asshole think he's neil peart?"

2 - "what sort of asshole needs 2 bass drums, 8 toms and 20 cymbals? {censored}er think he's terry bozzio?"

3 - "double bass? john bonham didn't need two kick drums for good times, bad times. learn heel-toe triplets, you loser."

4 - "are you {censored}ing kidding me? pearl exports? LOL"

etc.

not that *I* ever did this, mind you.

oh, and DW gets the hate that gibson gets in the drum world.

• Members
I hang out with
a lot
of guitarists ranging from big money making pro session guys to dudes who can only play a few songs. I generaly find that most of these people are pretty supportive of each other. We all tend to tell each other what geniuses the other guys are.

Maybe it's a maturity thing, I don't know how old you guys are, but the crowd I hang with tend to be at least over 30.

This thread reminds me a little of the stories I've read, when Clapton and Beck first saw Hendrix live and they thought that their days where numbered. All that competitive gun slinging stuff is for kids. You never hear Clapton or Beck talking like that now. Just like those guys, I think I'm good but I know there's always somebody better who's gonna show up an blow me away.

Weather it's Allen Holdsworth or Johnny Ramone I just try to relax and dig it.

:thu:

I think its a matter of maturity as well, from what I can tell ppl on this site who bash other players for one reason or another are probably acting out because of jealously. Sure they may be a better player than the one there putting down but it must make them feel good to put down a less talented player.

Archived