F*#& it-It's late at night-most everyone's gone to sleep, let's bring out the Monkees

GAS Man

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^^^ Kinda reminds me of the Batmobile!

I grew up on The Monkees, as well. Thanks for the memories, guys!

A few years ago, I suggested to my band-mates we do a hopped-up version of "I'm A Believer".

I thought it would be cool. They thought I was insane.

Then... Smashmouth did it for the Shrek movie.

* sigh *

We did a heavy version of Daydream Believer back in the 80's/90's, and it wasnt the most popular choice for the guys in our band at the time. We were pretty much an all original band by that time and we would pull out just three or four covers the whole night.

I pushed really hard for doing that song even though the other guys didnt really care for it much.

It was one of the most popular songs with any audience that we ever played.

This was many years before Smashmouth came out with it.

• Members

Make that another that built the model.
:)

If my memory isn't failing me, I think the car was designed by George Barris, who also designed the batmobile, the munster koach and the Green Hornet car.

While I'm at it, yes I have a soft spot in my heart for the Monkees. I'm sure that I still have cards and other memorabilia back home in my parents attic.

I'll have to take a look the next time I visit.

I remember the cards too...unfortunatly all that went into the garbage can when we moved my Mom out of her house decades ago. Watching the vids brings back memories for sure.

Back in those days The Monkeys were naturally and consistently compared to the Beatles, a comparison I look back on and don't find fair, and one that does not seem so cut and dry as it did back then. In a very real way, the pre-fab four were more 'authentic' than alot of stuff that gets on the radio these days. Within the constraints of having the burden of being actors and in a least a couple of cases, learning musicians, they did OK for themselves.

Good thread!

• Members

In the summer, Davey Jones lives pretty close to me. I ran into him about two years ago and chatted with him for a while. He was very nice to talk to. He is kind of short and wears glasses. He struck me as being a really classy guy.

• Members
We did a heavy version of Daydream Believer back in the 80's/90's, and it wasnt the most popular choice for the guys in our band at the time. We were pretty much an all original band by that time and we would pull out just three or four covers the whole night.

I pushed really hard for doing that song even though the other guys didnt really care for it much.

It was one of the most popular songs with any audience that we ever played.

This was many years before Smashmouth came out with it.

You obviously had more influence with your band-mates than I did with mine. ;)

Did you do "Daydream Believer", or "I'm A Believer"? The first was a ballad, and I don't think Smashmouth covered it. Did you mean, "I'm A Believer"?

• Members

Back in those days The Monkeys were naturally and consistently compared to the Beatles, a comparison I look back on and don't find fair, and one that does not seem so cut and dry as it did back then. In a very real way, the pre-fab four were more 'authentic' than alot of stuff that gets on the radio these days.

Good thread!

I do remember it well. For a while the Monkeys were an equal, alternative to the Beatles. Some peoples were Monkeys fans, some Beatles.

I was a Monkeys man (boy). Show was what made me pick up a guitar.

• Members

Back in those days The Monkeys were naturally and consistently compared to the Beatles, a comparison I look back on and don't find fair, and one that does not seem so cut and dry as it did back then. In a very real way, the pre-fab four were more 'authentic' than alot of stuff that gets on the radio these days. Within the constraints of having the burden of being actors and in a least a couple of cases, learning musicians, they did OK for themselves.

Good thread!

That's a hell of benchmark for comparison and I'm sure that is what the Monkees creator was shooting for.

I was a fan then I discovered King Crimson, Yes, Gentle Giant, Genesis and Camel.

But the Monkees still bring back pleasant memories, for the most part.

• Members

Some more trivia for you: Stephen Stills auditioned for the Monkees. The producers thought he was great, but his teeth looked horrible (he had them fixed after he made some money with Buffalo Springfield). They asked him if he knew anybody similar to him, but with better teeth. He recommended his folksinger friend, Peter Tork (originally Torkelson).

Mike Nesmith's mother invented White-out correction fluid. That's why he was willing to tell off Don Kirschner, he knew he had money to fall back on.

• Members

Some more trivia for you: Stephen Stills auditioned for the Monkees. The producers thought he was great, but his teeth looked horrible (he had them fixed after he made some money with Buffalo Springfield). They asked him if he knew anybody similar to him, but with better teeth. He recommended his folksinger friend, Peter Tork (originally Torkelson).

Mike Nesmith's mother invented White-out correction fluid. That's why he was willing to tell off Don Kirschner, he knew he had money to fall back on.

I'd heard about the White-out fluid.

Tork's folk background would explain the banjo pickin' in some of the songs.

• Members

Yeah, he inherited it, then sold it up a few years ago and got a crazy amount of money for it, iirc.

I got into the Monkees in the early 80s, via various repeats of the TV show (which was {censored}ing genius - only when I watched it bakc years later did I fully appreciate the depth of the humour in it. Surrealist genius at its best). Saw then in 1997 - th only reunion tour which featured all four of them. {censored}ing loved every minute of it - pure pop genius and damn all their critics.

• Members

Mike Nesmith had already had some pre-Monkee success as a songwriter, with Distant Drum being recorded by The Stone Poneys (lead vocalist: Linda Ronstadt) and Mary Mary by, of all people, The Paul Butterfield Blues Blues Band (you'll find it on their second album, East West).

• Members

It was "Must see TV" when I was in fourth grade, along with Rowan and Martins Laugh in, which was a truly hysterical show.

I remember seeing a Monkees prime time "special" during that time. It was not a regular episode, but they kind of followed the boys around town, that kind of thing, like a "behind the scenes" kind of thing.

Mickey Dolenz, who is never at a loss for words, said something I've always remembered, I guess just for the sheet "chutzpah" that it showed.

I think they were in some type of studio control room, and somebody asked them about the Beatles. Dolenz thanked the Beatles joining them at the top of the charts, or something of that nature (it was 40 years ago!). Even at that age, I grasped how ridiculous that was! Here's Mickey Dolenz of the Monkees acting like the Monkees were above the Beatles in the pecking order of rock and roll! What a pair on that guy!

But, they were cool in their own right, and that TV show was revolutionary and extremely entertaining for a 10 year old!

• Members
Mike Nesmith had already had some pre-Monkee success as a songwriter, with Distant Drum being recorded by The Stone Poneys (lead vocalist: Linda Ronstadt) and Mary Mary by, of all people, The Paul Butterfield Blues Blues Band (you'll find it on their second album, East West).

Erm... I think that's "Different Drum"... :lol:

• Members

You obviously had more influence with your band-mates than I did with mine.
;)

Did you do "Daydream Believer", or "I'm A Believer"? The first was a ballad, and I don't think Smashmouth covered it. Did you mean, "I'm A Believer"?

Yeah, I'm a believer.

I said daydream believer didnt I?

My ex girlfriend used to love that song and I would play it for her on the piano.

My band covered "I'm a believer."

Archived