Washington DC Northern Virginia

realtree71

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

depends on your genre preference for local bands.

but for music shops...there's action music in arlington va for cool vintage stuff. they have lots of old fender/gibson/jacksons....and for amps, they have tons of old marshalls, some orange, sunn, matamp, and other botique stuff. its a small shop.

then there's chuck levins in maryland (thats about 50 minutes or so from woodbridge though)...and they have your prs, ernie ball, suhr, engl, bogner, h&k, krank, diezel, koch, fuchs

• Members

Since you wanted a
good
music store, I can't mention Guitar Center in Fairfax.

...Unless you go there before school ends.

Ugh, that's the GC I goto when I'm at home. Absolutely horrible. The last time I went, I was looking for EMG telecaster pickups and the guy was completely clueless and handed me a pack of Fender SCN Strat pickups.

Not to mention the annoying highschool kids that swamp the place during the weekends.

Next time you go see if they still have the "used" SLO that doesn't have a working clean channel but is still marked at only $300 below street price. :lol:

• Members

I second the tip for Classic Axe. Great guys there. And it's just barely into Manassas, more like the border between Manassas and Centreville. Just a few minutes off I-66 off of 28 South.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Route 66?

I loved the theme song to that old show with Buzz and Todd.

And their old late 50's vette.

• Members

Action Music in Falls Church, VA (good vitnage/high-end boutique store, high prices, but i bought a lot of stuff there)

Atomic Music in College Park, MD (great used shop, good prices)

Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD (best new gear store in the area)

Southworth Guitars Bethesda, MD (lots of *true* vintage goodies, but priced very high)

Clubs...

The Birchmere in Alexandria, Va., is mostly smaller national acts with high tix prices, as is the 930 Club downtown

The Black Cat downtown is usually smaller acts, famous for being co-owned by Dave Grohl

The Velvet Lounge won't have a national act, but it's a good place to get a drink and see live music if you're looking for a more 20-something crowd

Whitlows on Wilson in Arlington is a big restaurant/club that often has live generic bar-band music. It's mutated from being a big 30-something hangout to being more for the very young, just-moved to D.C., professional crowd that is quickly overtaking the Clarendon area of Arlington. Last time I was there I was 34, and felt 10 years too old.

Just down the street from Whitlows is Iota and Galaxy Hut, both of which is for more down-to-earth people and more likely to host long-standing natives. Iota books some great alternative national acts as well as local rock/punk/alt country. Galaxy Hut may be the bar I would prefer to get a beer at more than any other in No. Va., partly because of the extinction of so many others.

That's all I can think of, though I can think of dozens of bars and music stores that were there and are long gone....as am I (Los Angeles).

• Members

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Route 66?

I loved the theme song to that old show with Buzz and Todd.

And their old late 50's vette.

No, Interstate 66. A short interstate that connects DC to I-85 about 80 miles west.

Route 66 runs (ran) from Chicago to LA.

• Members

Ugh, that's the GC I goto when I'm at home. Absolutely horrible. The last time I went, I was looking for EMG telecaster pickups and the guy was completely clueless and handed me a pack of Fender SCN Strat pickups.

Not to mention the annoying highschool kids that swamp the place during the weekends.

Next time you go see if they still have the "used" SLO that doesn't have a working clean channel but is still marked at only $300 below street price.
:lol:

hah, i think that thing is gone. last time i just saw a krank, some crate heads, and a marshall avt head.

• Members

Action Music in Falls Church, VA (good vitnage/high-end boutique store, high prices, but i bought a lot of stuff there)

Mars Music in College Park, MD (great used shop, good prices)

Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center in Wheaton, MD (best new gear store in the area)

Southworth Guitars Bethesda, MD (lots of *true* vintage goodies, but priced very high)

Clubs...

The Birchmere in Alexandria, Va., is mostly smaller national acts with high tix prices, as is the 930 Club downtown

The Black Cat downtown is usually smaller acts, famous for being co-owned by Dave Grohl

The Velvet Lounge won't have a national act, but it's a good place to get a drink and see live music if you're looking for a more 20-something crowd

Whitlows on Wilson in Arlington is a big restaurant/club that often has live generic bar-band music. It's mutated from being a big 30-something hangout to being more for the very young, just-moved to D.C., professional crowd that is quickly overtaking the Clarendon area of Arlington. Last time I was there I was 34, and felt 10 years too old.

Just down the street from Whitlows is Iota and Galaxy Hut, both of which is for more down-to-earth people and more likely to host long-standing natives. Iota books some great alternative national acts as well as local rock/punk/alt country. Galaxy Hut may be the bar I would prefer to get a beer at more than any other in No. Va., partly because of the extinction of so many others.

That's all I can think of, though I can think of dozens of bars and music stores that were there and are long gone....as am I (Los Angeles).

Mars Music was a chain from the late 90s that is long gone. The store youre thinking of is Atomic Music and its on Bacon Rd. in Beltsville, Md. now.

Southworth Guitars is now appointment only. The actual store is closed as far as I know.

• Members

Mars Music was a chain from the late 90s that is long gone. The store youre thinking of is Atomic Music and its on Bacon Rd. in Beltsville, Md. now.

Southworth Guitars is now appointment only. The actual store is closed as far as I know.

Atomic has a second store in Rockville now, but it doesn't have nearly as much stuff as the College Park store.

Chuck's is worth the drive from Woodbridge if the OP is looking for something specific, since the prices kill.

• Members

Opps, thank you. Fixed.

I was thinking Atomic. Actually, half the time I slip up and say Mushroom Music (Alexandria), but they have existed in 15+ years.

The Southworth decision isn't a surprise, Gil treats the stores inventory as a personal collection (which he already has an impressive collection aside) and prices it like he doesn't really want to sell anything.

• Members

Opps, thank you.

I was thinking Atomic. Actually, half the time I slip up and say Mushroom Music (Alexandria), but they have existed in 15+ years.

The Southworth decision isn't a surprise, Gil treats the stores inventory as a personal collection (which he already has an impressive collection aside) and prices it like he doesn't really want to sell anything.

He can be a real pain. A friend went in there to buy a pedal. He tried to bargain and Gil immediately refused to sell him the pedal at any price. I had to go back a week later and buy it for him.

• Members

Atomic Music in College Park, MD (great used shop, good prices)

These are both great stores -- Atomic has a small shop in Rockville, too. If you feel like blowing your mind, go to Bill's Music House in Catonsville just south of Baltimore. (they have about twice as many guitars as your average guitar center -- many high and low end axes and tons of amps).

About clubs: don't know of any. I'm married.

• Members

Gee, it seems we in Maryland actually do pretty well music store wise (especially now that Mars closed). AAR if you are going to venture as far into MD as Chuck Levins and you don't feel like driving, oh 20 more minutes or so, check out Victor Litz in Gaithersburg. Medium-sized store and there's always a good deal or 2 around (http://www.victorlitz.com/).

And almost halfway between them is GC in Rockville, (http://gc.guitarcenter.com/locations/store.cfm?store=832).

Atomic (http://www.atomicmusiconline.com/) is like the used equipment mecca around here. But the main store (Beltsville) is east of Chuck's. So if you plan on hitting them all, my suggestion is Atomic, Chuck's, GC, Victor Litz. That'll keep you busy.

• Members

Crossroads Guitar Shop in Bailey's Crossroads.

http://www.crossroadsguitarshop.com/

Great guys, and you can see a Plek machine in action up close. Varied inventory, dealers for almost everything. Reverend, and a bunch of others.

Atomic Music is worth it just for a look. Rt1 in College Park MD, just OUTSIDE the beltway.

Actually, Atomic is now in Beltsville...and I'm pretty sure it used to be just INSIDE the beltway. For the OP, check Atomic's webpage for their new address, just in case they move again! ;) They're one of those "low-rent" kinda music stores, used only, with tons of stuff piled up everywhere. It's a lot of fun to dig through everything and there are definitely some surprises in there. The experience is a lot like going to a flea market or a thrift store, but it's 100% musical instruments! IMO, it's worth the trip around the beltway for Nova.

• Members

Chuck's is worth the drive from Woodbridge if the OP is looking for something specific, since the prices kill.

Man, Chuck's is like a madhouse these days. Around 5:30pm on a weekday, you can't take two steps in that store without running into another person. Quite the opposite from Victor Litz's which is always pretty subdued.

• Members

Nothing to add here. I know the stores in Maryland. Atomic is cool for a look around, prices can be a tad high for used gear sometimes (but there are some deals to be had as well, you have to hunt a bit).

My experience at Chunk Levin's has been mixed. I once was in there and asked a salesman if I could play a cheapie Jay Turser and he said he'd get it off the wall for me if I was *really* interested.

Well, if you don't want to make the effort, then I guess I'm not!

Archived