Why do people say that the JCM900 isn't an all tube amp? Doesn't it have tubes in it?

elsupermanny14

• Members

Just curious. As I was reading through the user reviews in the review section of Harmony Central I kept reading how people mention that the JCM900 isn't entirely a tube amp. What does it mean that it isn't entirely a tube amp? I thought the amp has tubes in it? It doesn't appear to be any less of a tube amp than other Marshall amps. Well anyways I'd really appreciate it if you guys can help me out with my question.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It has a silicon diode in the input stage to aid in preamp tube clipping... Much like a Jubliee did.

That's what I thought too.

I have a buddy that's got a 50 watt dual reverb. I never really cared for the sound of it until we flipped it to 25 watts and ran it cranked into my isolation cabinet. That really brought out the creamy rich goodness I always thought it lacked.

Unfortunately, running it through his 1960 cabs with the master volume pretty low didn't even come close to reproducing that tone.

• Members

It has a silicon diode in the input stage to aid in preamp tube clipping... Much like a Jubliee did.

And what are silicon diodes? lol sorry I don't know anything about internals when it comes to amps and guitars for that matter. So yeah what are they what do they do? And what is different about amps that don't have these?

• Members

I'll throw in my take. My main gigging amp is a 4100 100W DR. Most venues I play dont allow me to get my master volume past 9 o'clock(yes even at half power mode). To have the saturation i like, I have to run the gain at about 3 o'clock. With those settings, it really sounds like a tube amp with a pedal outfront. If I roll the gain back to about 1 o'clock and the MV at noon, it definitly sounds more tubelike, but way too loud. I recently purchased a Weber Mass 150 that I am experimenting with. As a side note, there is a 4500 50W in my rehearsal room that sounds amazing with the 1 o'clock gain and Noon MV settings. Moral? F opinions, plug in and fiddle till you find a good tone. If not, move on.

• Members

All I know is that the 900 was when Marshall jumped the shark ... before their triumphant revival with the Vintage Modern series. I know a few Marshall players who wouldn't touch anything made between the JCM800 and the VM.

• Members

That is interesting.How many modern "tube amps" have SS rectifiers?

Almost all non-tweed Fender amps have a solid state recto. Just about every Marshall has a solid state recto except the original JTM45.

As far as the JCM900s... Anybody who mentioned diodes in the signal path for clipping hit the nail on the head. It's like having a built-in distortion pedal instead of relying on the tubes for distortion.

The reason that is a big deal is because classic amps, even those that could be considered high gain like some JCM800s with a master volume, don't have anything in the signal path but tubes, resistors and capacitors.

• Members

Ive owned 6 Marshalls so far. 2 were early 70's Plexi's 2 Jcm800's,1 TSL and 1

50/100 Silver Jubilee.

Guess which one Kicked the most ass and consistantly.

The Silver Jubilee and it has clipping diodes much like the 900.

I played an 900 on a few ocassions and it had a nice clean as well as Mucho useable Gain.

Again VG amps and a steal for under $600.

• Members

It has nothing to do with the SS rectifier, Fender has been using SS rectifiers on their amp heads since they were introduced in '60 or so, and the Twin Reverb, Marshall Plexi and dozens of other famous amps are all SS rectified as well. Rectifiers convert AC to DC, and while they do have an affect on the tone and performance of an amp, they are in the power supply and not the signal path.

Several people here got it, it is the clipping diodes in the 900 mean that the preamp distortion isn't all tube. Clipping diodes are an old-school solid-state fuzz design. It was Marshall's cheap way of getting more distortion without having to use dedicated tube gain stages like Mesa, Soldano and the other high-gain big boys use. People feel it makes the 900's overdrive too artificial and "buzzy." And some of the other drive stages...like the effects loop...are op-amp driven, but I don't think anyone cares about that.

EDIT: GilmourD beat me to my post.

• Members

it is, most assuredly, a tube amp. my carvin bel air has diodes in the preamp stage too but it is, again, a tube amp. in fact there is a procedure for the bel air that you can do to bypass the diodes but honestly, i like the way it sounds so i'm not doing it. besides, about 75% of the time i run the clean channel with a dirt box out front which is great gives me, in effect 3 channels. clean, clean+od pedal and then there is the gain channel (carvin calls it "soak" whatever that means). however, the "soak" channel with a lot of gain dialed in with an od on top doesn't sound very good. the "soak" channel by itself though is very, very good.

long story short (too late) the 900 is a tube amp.

• Members

As usual a lot of people just repeat what they've heard without using their ears. I hear the JCM900s get knocked all the time because they used diode clipping, but everyone sings the praises of the Jubilee series which did too.

Marshall probably added this in for a good reason: people wanted more gain from the amp, and adding valves just becomes impractical. I have one of the later jcm800s and it has 5 preamp valves (one more than the TSLs I believe), and I'm paying for it now they have to be replaced...

• Members

It has
nothing
to do with the SS rectifier, Fender has been using SS rectifiers on their amp heads since they were introduced in '60 or so, and the Twin Reverb, Marshall Plexi and dozens of other famous amps are all SS rectified as well. Rectifiers convert AC to DC, and while they do have an affect on the tone and performance of an amp, they are in the power supply and not the signal path.

Several people here got it, it is the
clipping diodes
in the 900 mean that the preamp distortion isn't all tube. Clipping diodes are an old-school solid-state fuzz design. It was Marshall's cheap way of getting more distortion without having to use dedicated tube gain stages like Mesa, Soldano and the other high-gain big boys use. People feel it makes the 900's overdrive too artificial and "buzzy." And some of the other drive stages...like the effects loop...are op-amp driven, but I don't think anyone cares about that.

EDIT: GilmourD beat me to my post.

What's the difference between that and running a distortion pedal in front of an "all tube amp"?

• Members

What's the difference between that and running a distortion pedal in front of an "all tube amp"?

The clipping diodes come after the preamp tube gain stages. You don't get to pick the pedal. And you can't turn it off.

• Members

Damnit there are way to many threads about this. In truth the 900 only has like a 1/2 tube gain stage. The preamp is mostly SS. As proclaimed by the lord Pames Jeters

Here's some reading

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1219091.html

This doesn't apply to all 900s, the SLX and Mk III are all tube. And I'm not saying they're bad amps, but they are definitely not all tube. SS preamp into tube power section

• Members

Damnit there are way to many threads about this. In truth the 900 only has like a 1/2 tube gain stage. The preamp is mostly SS. As proclaimed by the lord Pames Jeters

Here's some reading

This doesn't apply to all 900s, the SLX and Mk III are all tube. And I'm not saying they're bad amps, but they are definitely not all tube. SS preamp into tube power section

Actually, from the schematic, it appears there are 3 tube gain stages that I can absolutely see (given the crappy quality of the schematic). I'll link to it here because it's too big to embed in the post. I'll check my schematics at home, too, because I'm sure the Aspen Pittman books have better copies of them.

http://www.drtube.com/schematics/marshall/jmp52-02.gif

Archived