Why do people say that the JCM900 isn't an all tube amp? Doesn't it have tubes in it?

elsupermanny14

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the 900 has to be taken for what it is. I have (2) 900 dual reverbs, and a JCM 2000. It is a good amp, it is different than the 800 and the 2000, but it can really rock.

I also find it funny when people down the diode gain function, then use a stomp box for more gain....

• Members

I personally couldn't care less about the whole diode discussion. I have 20 amps in my collection (including many classics) and my JCM 900 is one of my favorites. I like it better than my JCM800, and I used to have a DSL50 that IMO had NO TONE compared to either of the JCM's (so I sold it). What this tells me is the whole diode issue means NOTHING to me... YMMV!

Brent

bgroupmusic.com

• Members

I think the 900 has to be taken for what it is. I have (2) 900 dual reverbs, and a JCM 2000. It is a good amp, it is different than the 800 and the 2000, but it can really rock.

I also find it funny when people down the diode gain function, then use a stomp box for more gain....

Its not comparable though. Boosting a tube amp tube drives the tubes harder to get more distortion. In the 900 you get you're distortion from diode clipping, not tube clipping. Its a totally different situation...

• Members

The gain is not all produced by the tubes, thats what the opamps are for

Direct quotes from Jamespeters, who owns an amp company

That was discussed earlier on in the thread. There is a model (maybe more then one? theres so many models of it) of the JCM900 that is as described in your quote. It is effectively a hybrid. There are several models of the JCM900 that have a pure tube preamp though with diodes at the end of the chain (MkIII's and SLX's I believe). To be honest the 900 line confuses the hell out of me. There hard to keep straight because they made so many models of them. I've played one once and thought it was ok. The dual reverb seems to be the least sought after and most avoided model.

• Members

Well, personally, I find the basic 900's really ratty and buzzy, not my cup of tea, but then I'm a '60's Plexi kinda guy. I think the address most of my complaints by the time the DSL came out, which was much later down the line. But, I realize they have their fans and place in the music world. I was just trying to explain where the "not all tube" mentality comes from. If I wanted something hi-gain and Marshall-esque, I think i would definitely go SLO and skip the 900 all together.

As to the pedal before the amp versus diode clipping comparison. I have not problem with SS OD pedals, I think most duplicate fat, crunchy power amp distortion better than pedals based around dual triodes like 12AX7's.

But with a pedal, I get my choice of pedal and none of mine use diode clipping -- they use transistor or op-amp stages for both gain and clipping stages, similar to old school tube amps, but using transistors instead; and I get to turn it off when I want to. I would never keep a pedal that was as buzzy as a 900.

• Members

To me the diode clipping is the same as using a distortion pedal in front of a tube amp. Either way you are getting some signal distortion from a non-tube element. Now, if you simply use a clean boost to overdrive the input stage of your tube amp, then that is different, but if you are using a dirt box, then you still have some amount of the signal's distortion being produced by a non-tube element.

It is after all, rock-n-roll we are talking about here and not some boutique Stereo tube amp for reproducing music from phonographs. Jimi loved his solid state distortion devices and so do most rock/blues players. If you get yours from the diodes in your JCM900, then more power to you.

I'm still experimenting with my SD twin tube classic in front of my 78 JMP. Its not quite as easy as setting a tube screamer in front of it. There seems to be some "organic" interactions between the first tube stage in the JMP and the twin tube classic (TTC). I can get good sounds out of the rhythym channel on the TTC, but when I switch to the lead I'm not yet satisified with the results. I think it has to do with the built in compression on the TTC lead channel and the compression caused by slamming the input stage with that amount of gain.

• Members

I'm still experimenting with my SD twin tube classic in front of my 78 JMP. Its not quite as easy as setting a tube screamer in front of it. There seems to be some "organic" interactions between the first tube stage in the JMP and the twin tube classic (TTC). I can get good sounds out of the rhythym channel on the TTC, but when I switch to the lead I'm not yet satisified with the results. I think it has to do with the built in compression on the TTC lead channel and the compression caused by slamming the input stage with that amount of gain.

I've never found a tube OD pedal I liked. I'm not a preamp gain kinda guy and that's seems to be what the best of them are best for, and they do it really well. But, for getting a bluesy Marshall- or Tweed Fender-style poweramp crunch, there just seem to be a lot of great SS options and no tube ones (IMHO). I mostly use small amps and crank them for what I need, but when I need a little something extra or just something at low volume for practice, I find pedals like the Guv'nor (Mk. I) or Crazy Horse or even the good ol' 808 seem to be best.

• Members

Yeah, the only SS OD/Dist pedal I have right now is the Metal Muff and its good at what it does, but its kinda a one trick pony. My plans are to get an AC Booster and a BB Preamp. Although the Marshall BB and Marshall Guvnor do sound like possible candidates as well.

I really like how the TTC adds some low end meat to the JMP on its rhythym channell, but I can't use the lead channel on the TTC yet. The BB Preamp in front of the TTC is probably the best bet, but I'm going to experiment.

I'll probably try trading my Metal Muff for one of the Marshall pedals though to give them a shot.

• Members

Just curious. As I was reading through the user reviews in the review section of Harmony Central I kept reading how people mention that the JCM900 isn't entirely a tube amp. What does it mean that it isn't entirely a tube amp? I thought the amp has tubes in it? It doesn't appear to be any less of a tube amp than other Marshall amps. Well anyways I'd really appreciate it if you guys can help me out with my question.

This might help . . .

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=27444301#post27444301

:)

• Members

All I know is that the 900 was when Marshall jumped the shark ... before their triumphant revival with the Vintage Modern series. I know a few Marshall players who wouldn't touch anything made between the JCM800 and the VM.

Are you a fan of the 'new' VintageModern too ?

I have not have Marshall GAS as badly as this since, ermmm, well, since never before !!! :love:

• Members

Be carefull with the 900. They make a JCM-900 5881 model that BLOWS. I also believe of all the amps I've owned the JCM-900 was the least reliable.

That said I liked the Tone on mine. I always prefered the JCM-800, but I had a 900 1/2 stack come in the pawnshop and I bought it for $400. I had a few issues with it. On-Off switch went on stage one night. And it started to cut in and out another night. So I had my issues with it. But I liked its Tone, probly one of the Brighter Marshalls I've played.

• Members

The diodes are clipping all tube distortion produced by the preamp. A distortion pedal is clipping distortion produced by resistors and crap. Everyone who says "its a distortion pedal built in" are just repeating what others say. Its not a distortion pedal built in. No distortion is produced by the diodes. Its just clipping a signal thats already there.

Good Reading this is . . .

http://amptone.com/

:thu:

• Members

The diodes are clipping all tube distortion produced by the preamp. A distortion pedal is clipping distortion produced by resistors and crap. Everyone who says "its a distortion pedal built in" are just repeating what others say. Its not a distortion pedal built in. No distortion is produced by the diodes. Its just clipping a signal thats already there.

"A distortion pedal is distortion produced by resistors and crap"? LOL No. Try transistors and diodes. Resistors and capacitors only shape the tone by affecting frequency response.

And "Its just clipping a signal thats already there"... Clipping is distortion. If you're going to disagree with something, know what you're talking about.

• Members

Although the JCM800 is a good amp - for that 80's metal sound, it didn't have enough gain unless you had it modified, or used a boost/OD in front of. I guess Marshall just wanted to build that in for you. I was excited when it came out for that reason because I was tired of having to use OD pedals.

Archived