Is Jack White the Greatest Guitarist of the 2000s?

Libertine

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

guthrie govan is the best guitarist of the new millenium

/thread

As talented as that guy obviously is, personally I found that totally boring. Sounds about 25 years to late and I'll be damned if I could find one decent melody in that whole thing. To me that video is proof that there is much more to guitar than just technique.

• Members

Damn those North Mississippi Allstars are {censored}in tight.

The first time I saw the North Mississippi Allstars play (on some late-night talk show) I *ran* to the record store to buy their first CD.

The CD was about the most boring and lifeless album I've ever heard. It's languished on my shelf untouched ever since.

On the other hand, I don't think I'll ever get tired of hearing the White Stripes cover of "Death Letter" on De Stijl, even though it's even better live.

• Members

As talented as that guy obviously is, personally I found that totally boring. Sounds about 25 years to late and I'll be damned if I could find one decent melody in that whole thing. To me that video is proof that there is much more to guitar than just technique.

Guthrie Govan (born December 27, 1971 in Chelmsford, Essex, England) is a guitarist known for his work with the bands Asia (2001-2006), GPS, The Young Punx and The Fellowship as well as Erotic Cakes (a vehicle for his own music). He is a noted guitar teacher through his work with the U.K. magazine Guitar Techniques, Guildford

• Members

except something i'm remotely interested in listening to for longer than about 30 seconds, evidently.

Agreed.

Watching that video, all I see is the evidence of many years spent religiously practicing technique to a keen edge for several hours a day, and no time whatsoever cultivating soul or taste.

The Kenny G. of guitar shredders.

• Members

ok quantify "no soul" smart guy

You can't prove a negative, but here's the best I can do.

Watch the solo that starts at about 1:18 on this video. It's Willie Nelson struggling his way through a relatively simple solo, with his usual awful, awful technique.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Simplicity itself.

Now, play this performance for a few friends. The ones not deeply moved by it... they are my definition of "no soul."

Willie Nelson will never pick up a pointy guitar and play a showy 2-hand tap blur of notes, and probably couldn't if he wanted to, but I'll take that basic 40-second solo on a beat-up Martin acoustic over anything that other guy is likely to have ever played or ever will play.

Furthermore, if he's half as steeped in music knowledge as you say he is, he would probably agree with me.

But if you think shredding makes you a great guitarist, there's good news: You can be one too! All it takes is a couple years of studying music theory, and a few years of practice, practice, practice. It's like juggling, except it requires a little book learnin' on the side.

• Members

Simplicity itself.

Now, play this performance for a few friends. The ones not deeply moved by it... they are my definition of "no soul."

Willie Nelson will never pick up a pointy guitar and play a showy 2-hand tap blur of notes, and probably couldn't if he wanted to, but I'll take that basic 40-second solo on a beat-up Martin acoustic over anything that other guy is likely to have ever played or ever will play.

Furthermore, if he's half as steeped in music knowledge as you say he is, he would probably agree with me.

But if you think shredding makes you a great guitarist, there's good news: You can be one too! All it takes is a couple years of studying music theory, and a few years of practice, practice, practice. It's like juggling, except it requires a little book learnin' on the side.

You and I think alot alike sir.

Willie is another one of those national treasures (John Fogherty) that does'nt get enough credit.

• Members

You and I think alot alike sir.

Willie is another one of those national treasures (John Fogherty) that does'nt get enough credit.

LOL. It's ma'am, but you're far from the first one on this forum to assume I'm a guy.

I could listen to him play "Stardust" over and over all evening.

• Members

I also concur with Guthrie Govan, he was just voted Best New Talent by the readers of Guitar Player. He's been playing since he was 3 years old, and is truly one of the most talented guitarists around today, amazing abilities.

His solo album Erotic Cakes is chock-full of sweet songs and equally sweet playing. He could really teach these young guns a lot about guitar playing(which he also does, with his monthly columns in Guitar Techniques, not to mention his very comprehensive guitar books).

Archived