Is Jack White the Greatest Guitarist of the 2000s?

Libertine

• Members

I agree. Has unique, expressive, memorable riffs, and exceptionally good command of his instrument and the sound he makes. You may not like the White Stripes, or the raconteurs, but he is a talented guitar player, and musician on the whole. Put that up with the fact that Rock music has had very little new guitar players worth anything within the last few years, and I think he could easily get that title.

I know everyone is saying "What about: Derek Trucks, John 5, Synyster Gates, etc" but, only ONE of those guys really deserves any credit, and he plays in a fairly unpopular genre.

White has made a large impact in a short time, using only a guitar and a drummer. I think he deserves that title.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A lot of people saying no way, but besides Mayer (who I also like), not many other names are coming up in any number. Remember, the question is who stands out in the last 8 years?

Frusciente, Trucks, Mayer.....anybody else?

If not, then Jack wins. If only for shear audacity, originality and never being boring.

• Members

Ability-wise he's merely "Very good". Realitically not even in the top 100 guitarists of the 2000's if you are, in fact, going by only ability. But he has a lot of style, intensity, and mojo.

You can't practice your way to mojo. You got it or you don't. And that counts for a lot in my book.

• Members

yesterday i suggest to my band that we pick out a the black keys song for our lineup. Bass player asked(obviously never listened to either band), 'isn't the black keys the gay version of the white stripes?'

I asked, 'aren't bass players the gay version of guitar players?'

If you're 29-years-old you are officially too old for 'gay'

Choke your bassist and have pedo bear do what he pleases with the body.

• Members

Bonamassa,Trucks > Mayer and White.

And by a long shot.

White is at least quite original whereas Mayer merely copies others work and injects his own sappy poppy vocals to mold it into his own.

Both are deffinately Not on my Greatest guitarist Radar.

• Members

I would have to say no, but he is better than he is given credit for around here. He certainly has his own sound.

The White Stripes are mostly musical performance art. Not my thing, but interesting.

I have kind of liked what I have heard of the Raconteurs so far.

• Members

I really don't like weird, artsy bands.

???

I don't think of them as weird or artsy. Just straight-up lo-fi rawkinroooll.

I'm not a big fan, and I sure don't think of Jack White as a great guitar player at all. But he's great within the context of what he does.

• Members

Yeah he is ALOT better than people around here make him out to be. John Mayer may be technically better but he is also 20 time more boring (the best the guy can come up with is bigger than my body). JW could out "hook" him with one arm tied behind his back.

The guy obviously has a huge respect for the history of music just judging by the sheer diversity of songs on his records. Everything from punk to garage rock to folk to country to full on blues that would make buddy guy proud. Never afraid to try something strange. Plus I beleive he plays alot of the strange instruments on his albums. He's obviously super talented. I get the impression alot of people around here only listen to the singles or something.

And finally EVERY guitarist on this board should THANK him for preventing guitar based music from being totally pushed out of the mainstream. He single handedly has kept guitar rock from being just another side show. Cause I tell you what....Lenny Kravitz and Slash certianly aren't doing it anymore.

• Members

I saw Jack White live in Minneapolis during the "Get Behind Me Satan" tour, and it was the best live guitar performance I had seen in 20 years.

And before you ask, I have seen A LOT of great and even legendary guitarists in that span. He changed the very way I look at the guitar with that show. Amazing.

That "Under Blackpool Lights" DVD doesn't come close to doing justice to the experience. Either he got a ton better between when that disk was made and the making of the next album, or it just wasn't that great of footage.

Oh, and Meg White: Also underrated. Everybody who complains about her time-keeping doesn't get it. She's not doing the job of a traditional rock drummer, but rather using her kit to provide accents on top of Jack's guitar, in the vein of the old pipe & drum groups of the early days of blues. It's a completely different role and a completely different style than what most people are used to, but she's doing exactly what she's supposed to within the context of what they are playing.

That said, she should not be allowed to sing.

• Members

fair enough, hence why i made this post to see what others thought of him.

who would you guys say is the best guitarist of the decade?

just curious

Hey, i like him !

I also think he is a very good guitarist, with a very distinct style.

I am sure that the metal-heads WILL disagree with you, because most guys today think that you must play like Via, or that Micheal Angelo Beaty(sp?) before someone thinks you are "good" :rolleyes:

But in todays world everyone will throw their thoughts to you trying to make you believe it "fact".

Archived