Is Jack White the Greatest Guitarist of the 2000s?

Libertine

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

ringo sucks:thu:

actually it borders on the funniest thing I've ever heard personally.

I dunno man. I wouldn't say that in the least. Paul decided that everyone other than him sucked, Paul got to be kind of a controlling dick at the end. Ever seen "Let It Be"?

And that's not to say that he didn't have some right to be controlling, because I'll admit that his post-beatles career had more songs that I enjoy than any of the others, but the fact of the matter is that The Beatles kicked out a drummer to bring in Ringo, and I would bet that at the time Paul said that, he would've said that He himself was the best musician in the whole band.

• Members

ringo sucks:thu:

actually it borders on the funniest thing I've ever heard personally.

Ringo is actually a pretty solid and versatile time-keeper, and Paul was obviously giving him the needle in a good-natured way.

If he really believed that Ringo sucked, he wouldn't have brought Ringo along to play with Wings, or countless solo efforts in which Ringo sits in on at least the recording, if not the tour.

• Members

I don't want to critique Jack White's guitar playing in a technical sense as compared to other guitarists in the same way I won't critique Dick Dale's playing. I like Jack White. I like The White Stripes..and I like Dick Dale. I like the sounds they make and the artistic way they make them. And they're all a lot better than I am.

Everyone knows that claiming a guitarist as 'The best in the world' makes no sense in a world of extraordinary guitarists in all genres.

I listen to them, I like how they sound, I declare them to be good...at least in my own little world, and that's all that matters in the end.

• Members

I don't want to critique Jack White's guitar playing in a technical sense as compared to other guitarists in the same way I won't critique Dick Dale's playing. I like Jack White. I like The White Stripes..and I like Dick Dale. I like the sounds they make and the artistic way they make them. And they're all a lot better than I am.

Everyone knows that claiming a guitarist as 'The best in the world' makes no sense in a world of extraordinary guitarists in all genres.

I listen to them, I like how they sound, I declare them to be good...at least in my own little world, and that's all that matters in the end.

That is an opinion that I can respect.

Guitar playing is not a zero-sum game. To say one is good does not require the tearing down of another.

• Members

Everything I've heard from Jack White sounded like something I heard 30 years ago.

Everybody is doing {censored} done 30 years ago......you don't think Mayer and Bonamassa ain't derivitive of SRV or Hendrix or Guy?

Same with the shred/metal kings mentioned on here. Same {censored} warmed over.

Jack White's the closest thing in the last 8 years to anyone pushing the sonic window. Avante garde yet retro, often pushing to the point of an almost train wreck with barely the support of a drum and no bass. Wild tones on cool instruments. Minimal self indulgent solo's. Love em or hate em you got to appreciate the effort (and success) in keeping guitar relevant in rock.

• Members

man, the more i hear from this guy, the more i like him.

Ok, prepare to change "like" to "love" then when you watch this:

[YOUTUBE]Gn09Xn9JF5s[/YOUTUBE]

I just bought tickets a couple days ago to see Bonamassa at the Grand County Blues Festival in June!

• Members

I never hear of the North Mississippi Allstars mentioned on this forum, but they are a great band, and Luther Dickinson is another amazing young-ish guitar player. Right up there on my list of favorites with Bonamassa, Trucks, Warren Haynes, etc.

Check them out:

[YOUTUBE]vBYNAmhAkF8[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: I wasn't putting Warren haynes in the "young" group, just in my favorites group

• Members

Bonamassa is pretty killer alright.:lol: White is great at what he does, but not 'skilled' enough to compare with alot of others.

Guthrie does not move me much with his playing. He has the 'fret hand like a spider on speed' thing going.

• Members

Jack White is one of the most talented people I've seen come down the pike in quite awhile. Not only is he a great guitarist, he's also an excellent musician (singer/songwriter) and a very competent showman. Glad to see him get some acclaim. Greatest guitarist of the century I would reserve for Travis Goode of The Sadies:

He also plays a mean fiddle.

• Members

i just learned that 2nd lick. #1 is kinda one we all play in some shape or form. #3 is gonna be next.

thanks again to whoever posted this. i knew about Joe way back when he was a kid we're about the same age so i didn't really appreciate him like i do now:thu:

• Members

Jack White's a great songwriter, a solid guitar player, and an innovative showman.

I don't know if that makes him the "greatest" guitar player of the 2000s, but I like his stuff more than almost any other guitar players of this decade.

I'm glad he's out there pushing guitar-driven rock/blues. But I'm not sure my definition of "greatest" is any more valid than anyone else's.

• Members

Matthew Bellamy is in my top 5 of best guitarists out now

Although I think Matt Bellamy is an incredible musicain (along with the other 2 of Muse), I don't think he's one of the best guitarists. Just like I think of myself as a good guitarist, but a horrible musician. :p

Oh, and Jack White is not even close to being near the top of the list of Great Guitarists. Not this decade, not even this century. Hell, I think Jack Black is a better guitarist! lol

• Members

It's funny that anyone would even judge Jack White by his guitar playing. The whole White Stripes vibe is about minimalism. I would never bash him, as I think there is such a purity to him that few others have. (Look what he did for Loretta Lynn)

As for Ringo sucking.........try to imagine "a Day in the Life" or "Come Together" without his drumming. The Beatles would not have been the same without him.

Archived