Is Jack White the Greatest Guitarist of the 2000s?

Libertine

• Members
Guthrie Govan (born December 27, 1971 in Chelmsford, Essex, England) is a guitarist known for his work with the bands Asia (2001-2006), GPS, The Young Punx and The Fellowship as well as Erotic Cakes (a vehicle for his own music). He is a noted guitar teacher through his work with the U.K. magazine Guitar Techniques, Guildford

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I don't care if he won every {censored}in award in history and taught {censored}in hendrix to play; and if he was playing in his mothers {censored}in womb (played with Asia huh....there's something for the old CV eh???LOL
:rolleyes:
{censored}in ASIA for christ sakes...LOL) That video was {censored}in BOOOOORRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGG IN MY OPINION of COURSE! And obviously a few others here too....I guess they are just embarassing themselves to huh? (In case you need it spelled out for you M-Y O-P-I-N-I-O-N.)

• Members

hot damn, that was badass.

No doubt...thanks golias....that just further proves to me that jack white represents the evolution of blues music.

You know I've been youtubing alot the Joe Bonamassa dude cause he's getting alot of props on these posts and he is no doubt an awsome player and I enjoyed alot of it (especially the one on the TV show in Denmark) but....

to me the difference between JB and JW is that JB PLAYS the blues where as JW acutally LIVES the blues.

• Members

Stoopid question, but I'll point out that both Eric Clapton and Slash have recently gone on record praising him. Slash said he thinks Jack is the best guitarist going right now....he explained it's because of his feel for the blues, which is the key to rock n roll.

• Members

What did George Benson suddenly retire or something? Isn't John McLaughlin and Pat Martino still around. Allan Holdsworth didn't pass away, did he? What happened to Scott Henderson, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Bruno, etc, etc, etc...

Jack White? This is some kinda bad joke, right? :(

• Members

What did George Benson suddenly retire or something? Isn't John McLaughlin and Pat Martino still around. Allan Holdsworth didn't pass away, did he? What happened to Scott Henderson, Pat Metheny, Jimmy Bruno, etc, etc, etc...

Jack White? This is some kinda bad joke, right?
:(

I think the question is in reference to guitarists who emerged recently, not titanic legends of past decades that haven't gotten around to dying yet.

Yes, I'm looking in your direction when I say that, Jimmy Page... :poke:

• Members

To steal a line from Paul McCartney, "He isnt even the best one in his band"

Actually, it was John Lennon. After Ringo won top spot in a music paper's 'world's best drummer', JL was asked if HE thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world.Lennon replied, 'He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles.'

Which was funny, but unfair. Macca's drumming was better than competent, but Ringo's was idiosyncratic, empathic, uncluttered and swings like the clappers -- plus, as a left-handed drummer on a right-handed kit, he gave the world the immortal Ringo Fill, as mastered by anyone who's ever played drums for Oasis. Both as a player and as a personality, he was the perfect, ideal drummer for The Beatles. (Those who knock him and George H should consider whether The Beatles would have been as good a band, let alone a better one, if they'd had -- say -- Ginger Baker and Jeff Beck on board instead.)

As for Jack White, I love what he does: a totally distinctive and contemporary take on the bl00zr0kk Thang. Whether he is or isn't the 'greatest' anything in particular ... I could care less. He's a good'un and that oughtta be enough.

EDIT: Muddy Waters, when asked if he thought he was the best blues singer in the world, replied, 'No-one can be the best. All you can do is try to be a good'un.' I've always been inspired by the generosity of spirit behind that line.

• Members

Jack White? This is some kinda bad joke, right?
:(

Who the hell are all of those people? I thought Dave Mustaine and the guy from Slipknot were the best guitarists ever.

• Members

lol at all of the posters that think because he doesn't do chugga's and arpeggios he's a bad player, or not as good as Dave Mustaine. I'm positive Dave's skill is beyond Jack's physically...but IMO, I like a lot of Jack's songs more than Dave's. Just because he rips doesn't mean the music is good.

• Members
lol at all of the posters that think because he doesn't do chugga's and arpeggios he's a bad player, or not as good as Dave Mustaine. I'm positive Dave's skill is beyond Jack's physically...but IMO, I like a lot of Jack's songs more than Dave's. Just because he rips doesn't mean the music is good.

Now Dave Mustaine has suddenly become this technical monster? :confused:

• Members

I believe RaoulDuke was laying a little sarcasm down. It can be hard to tell in text, I realize.

Whatever man. Dave Mustaine and Marty Freedman are like a modern day Lennon/McCartney. I loved them during their blue period. I once paid $5000 for a pint of 'Staine's blood. Guess what? He's O(+)!!!

Archived