Is Jack White the Greatest Guitarist of the 2000s?

Libertine

• Members

A friend of mine really believes that Jack White of the White Stripes and Raconteurs is the greatest guitarist of the young millenium. I know that he was in the top 20 of the Rolling Stones greatest guitarists list, and I have to say I love his wide range of styles. You also have to love his unique guitars, some of which I had never seen before watching him play them. So what do you guys think of his abilities? I personally believe he is a little overhyped, but still great.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pAScaWxLutU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=03YUgHAshSo

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't dislike him, or the White Stripes.. They've got some cool songs. 7 nation army and Conquest to name just a couple. But to call him "the greatest" is way premature and just flat out wrong.. If you want to talk about guitar players "on the scene" right now, there are tons of people that put him to shame as far as technical guitar playing goes.. And I'm not talking about shred vs. whatever you wanna call his style. John Mayer for example. Sure, he's an idiot, and alot of his songs are utter crap, but get him alone on the guitar and he's magical at times. Kenny Chesney, to name another.. That boy can flat out play some geetar.. Both can play circles around Jack White...

• Members

He is verry unique and his style is not for everyone. It all depens on your personal bias. I really like his stuff in the raconteurs but not the white stripes. Personally I think he has good ideas (musically) but there are better players.

• Members

yesterday i suggest to my band that we pick out a the black keys song for our lineup. Bass player asked(obviously never listened to either band), 'isn't the black keys the gay version of the white stripes?'

I asked, 'aren't bass players the gay version of guitar players?'

If you're 29-years-old you are officially too old for 'gay'

Archived