Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitar Songs Of All Time

Lock

• Members

I dont believe there is a BEST anything outside of the subjective but Monkey Man by the Stones is truly a GREAT, pure, raw, and genuine lyric and riff driven song. Nothing contrived or pretentious about it. It is the song that yanked me in to understanding what a {censored}in great band they...WERE.

edit: Oh....I thought this was a Rolling Stones inspired thread. My bad

• Members

No Trower? Cool that Buddy Guy's Stone Crazy is on there but it's not even the best song on the album-I Smell a Rat should have beat it. Speaking of Beat It, what's it doing on there? I know it's Eddie but the song kinda sucks. Overall, not a bad list, but some obvious ommisions.

• Members

Decent selection, far from all inclusive and really screwed up order of best IMHO.

Born to Run? Only thing that I remember about that song is the sax and lyrics.

Where's Mississippi Queen? How can you have a guitar song list without that in there?

The Pink Floyd songs are horrible too. Interstellar Overdrive is interesting, but Money is all about the bass for the most part. Shine on you Crazy Diamond or Comfortably Numb are much more important moments in guitar history.

• Members

I'm a huge Rage fan, but what the hell is "Killing in the Name" doing that high on the list? Above MoP? :freak:

Sleep Now in the Fire and Bulls on Parade are better than Killing in the Name anyway, IMO.

• Members

+1

:eek:

M

+2

Immediately these came to mind:

The Loner

Song of the Wind

Parissiene Walkways

And if I thought about it for 5 minutes I would think of many more that should be included, as well as some that should be excluded.

I don't dislike John Mayer, but Gravity in the top 100? :confused:

• Members

Lots to disagree with in that list.

It's Rolling Stone which is People Magazine for a slightly different crowd. They haven't been relevant in over 25 years.

Their "experts" don't even know what a guitar is as proven by their top 100 guitarists list.

• Members

Well, they got #1 pretty much spot on. I find the rest of the list very strange. For example, Weezer and Smashing Pumpkins have songs ranked higher than La Grange or Under the Bridge. Just go to YouTube and see what you find more people covering, Sweet Child o Mine or My Generation. Even as a popularity list I don't see how this it makes any sense. It's like they had 20 people with different tastes in music pick 5 songs, then randomized it.

• Members

Damn! Aren't "modern" bands creating anything worth a {censored}? Most of the song on that list are from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Guess that says a lot about Metal guitar players right there.

Na....what it really says is rolling stone is a magazine written and edited by either washed up baby boomers who can't get their heads out of their classic rock asses, or gen Xer's who have fallen for the bull{censored} hype about classic rock sold to them by the baby boomers.....

Archived