Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitar Songs Of All Time

Lock

• Members

Rolling Stone is locked into a late 60's - early 70's mindset.

But as much as they disregard music out of their "sweet zone," I think a lot of the people who rank on them are locked into their own 90's mindset and sometimes disregard earlier music in the same way.

Case in point - Growing up hearing early Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, or even "oldies" as part of the aural wallpaper, it took me awhile to really hear some of that music and appreciate how great it was/is.

Can somebody born in the late 80's appreciate how "Eruption" smacked us across the face any more than someone born 10 years earlier appreciate "Purple Haze" for the mind blowing experience it was?

• Members

90 The Smiths - "How Soon Is Now?"

I love The Smiths and think Marr was a good songwriter but really, nothing special about his guitar playing, ESPECIALLY on this track.

77 Pearl Jam - "Even Flow"

Great debut album, good song but does not belong on this list.

70 Smashing Pumpkins - "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"

Out of all the good SP songs they pick the lamest (from their lamest album - 28 songs and only around 12 or 13 good ones).

65 The Police - "Message in a Bottle"

Great band, no question about it, and love Andy Summers' playing. But not sure about it being on this list.

28 U2 - "Where the Streets Have No Name"

Again, good band (in their heyday) and one of the best albums of all time but the guitar playing is the last thing I think of when I hear this song...could have gone with "Bullet The Blue Sky" instead or "Bad" or heck, "Acrobat" from Achtung Baby had some great playing on it.

10 Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

What a joke - they could have gone with a Pixies song instead. Nirvana were overrated and this is coming from a fan.

Wow, amazed that there is no mention of:

Soundgarden

RUSH

Yes

Melvins

And they could have gone with KC's "Fracture" or "Frame By Frame" instead of "Red"

• Members

I'd have to put "Satisfaction" on there.

Totally agree, though I don't know why I bother to reply to subjects like this, mags like Rolling Stone know that making controversial choices in these kind of lists will usually generate more outrage/publicity and more importantly web traffic for their site than a sensible list, it's the publishing equivalent of trolling. :blah:

• Members

Lots to disagree with in that list.

It's Rolling Stone which is People Magazine for a slightly different crowd. They haven't been relevant in over 25 years.

That's what they said about it 25 years ago.

• Members

When people complain about how there's too much old {censored} on this inconsequential list, it sure makes me feel old...I looked at it and thought "What/Who the hell is THAT?"; referring, of course, to anything on there from after, oh, 1990 or so.
:evil:

In my original post, wasn't a complaint about the old music being there, just the opposite!

I think it's funny there's not much "new" music there, which goes along with my thinking that most of the new stuff is prepackaged crap. I also thought it funny there's none of the Metal that some here wank over was missing too.

Of course, all the younger guys that are into that stuff stated right away that the list was {censored} because "their" music isn't on it and that RS is crap. Here's the link to the original article with an explanation for most of the songs and some sound bytes too.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/20947527

• Members

Over the years I continue to be convinced how utterly useless the Rolling Stones "Greatest" lists are.

I guess for "youngins" they're a good list to start a search, but they are far from definitive and are merely lists from groups of paid "youngins". And such a fair share of it just continues to be pumped up hype that gets perpetuated in list after list after list.

I barely even find them interesting to look at anymore. :bor:

Not that I don't appreciate the OP though - it's certainly worthwhile for an HCEG topic. :thu:

• Members

I found it fascinating that they put "Keep Yourself Alive" on there...not that it isn't a great Queen song, but it sure as hell isn't one of their biggest standards.

As with most Rolling Stone lists, this is mostly a bucket full of crap. :bor:

Archived