Is Monster Cable all that?

fantastico

• Members

I posted about this earlier in the week. I agree with most people on here, you're paying for a name brand when you buy Monster. And as was brought my attention, you're supporting a pretty {censored}ty, and deceptive company, at that. They sue a lot of other companies with the word "monster" in their titles. Pretty {censored}ty if you ask me. Go with Mogami, Lava, or Planet Waves.

• Members

I play several gigs each week. I can tell you I like Planet Waves cords but the ONLY cords that do not go bad over time are the Monsters. Also, there is no doubt that they pass the hotest signal, but, if your signal path is not clean to start with you may not notice the high quality.

• Members

the ONLY cords that do not go bad over time are the Monsters. Also, there is no doubt that they pass the hotest signal, but, if your signal path is not clean to start with you may not notice the high quality.

There is not a trace of fact in this quote. Monsters go bad all the time, as often as any decent cable, and they have no unique properties. You pay for the guarantee and the marketing. You can make your own cables at least as good, for around half the cost, and ten minute's time.

• Members

I use em and they do go bad. The only reason I use them is they do seem to last a lil longer and I just send them back and get new ones every so often when they do fukk out on me, no questions asked, to me that's worth a little more.

• Members

I just ran into this dilemma. Here are my impressions:

1. 20' Canare GS-6 cable with Neutrik ends (homebrew)- I really like these. They give my instruments a rich, dark feeling. Unfortunately, they round out a bit of the top end as well. Great for rhythm work, for bass and for acoustic. Really no irritating qualities other than the jacket seems a bit susceptible to cutting. I built these for $25 a cable with silent plugs.

2. 18.5' Whirlwind Leader Elite- GREAT ends, strain relief. Very durable braided shell. These have tons of "cut", very good for bringing out articulations in a muddy or too dark instrument. Too harsh for a bright instrument (i.e. tele) or an acoustic. They are very difficult to coil, even when you do it right. I stole these off eBay for ~$10 a piece.

3. 20' Monster Performer 500- This used to be my "go to" cable, until the homebrew came along. Big, thick cable; big, thick connectors (though, strangely, the connectors don't appear to be the same quality of the Whirlwind, the Neutrik, or the G&Hs). These have a noticeable midrange dip, and the tone's kind of "dirty". It's hard to explain, but I can tell I'm not getting an absolutely pure signal when I A/B it with my other cables. Overall the tone is fairly balanced, but "muffled" and not very pleasant to listen to in comparison to the other three. Decent for all-round type stuff, but for the price, I'd look into Whirlwind or having Lava Cable solder you up a Canare GS-6 set. I bought this for $40. pwnt.

4. 15' Lava Cable ELC- I have two of these, one with a right angle G&H plug, one with two Neutrik straight plugs. Yes, I bought into the hype. Yes, I'm satisfied (mostly). They're very, very sturdy, well built cables, and the construction is IMMACULATE. If you ever want to feel badly about your soldering skills, unscrew the end of one of this guy's right angle connectors (the straight ones are 100% sealed). Top-notch. My problem comes in the tone. Don't get me wrong, it's great to hear every nuance I've never heard in my playing before, but it's not so great hearing all those sloppy little shortcuts I've been taking. The tone is fairly even, with a bit more treble and mids than the Canare, more bass than the Whirlwind and crystal clear signal transference. I use these in every situation I'm not looking for a specific tone. $60, and a good buy. Never thought I'd say it.

In short:

1. Lava Cable ELC- all-rounder with excellent balance and clarity > $60 for 15' (lavacable.com)

2. Canare GS-6- great, rich rhythm cable, questionable durability > $25 for 20 ft. (homebrew) or $33 for 20' (lavacable.com)

3. Whirlwind Leader Elite- good "cut", durable but difficult casing > ~$30 for 18.5' (eBay)

4. Monster Performer 500- great warranty, dirty signal > $40 for 20' (anywhere, but don't)

Don't let anyone tell you cables don't make a difference; they do. The difference between the Whirlwind and the Canare is stark.

I'd recommend this guy 100/100. He's great, and his prices are reasonable:

If you're handy, make your own:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1870580&highlight=cable

• Members

I have noticed a difference betweent he cheapy monster cables and the expensive monster cables. The expensive one has much less hum and better clairty. I have no idea if they are worth the money compared to others. My guess is NOT.

I am going to get cables by other companies and see how good they are.

fiddler

• Members

I have noticed a difference betweent he cheapy monster cables and the expensive monster cables. The expensive one has much less hum and better clairty. I have no idea if they are worth the money compared to others. My guess is NOT.

I am going to get cables by other companies and see how good they are.

fiddler

For $150 they had darn well have some voodoo in them wires. You can pick up a silver-coated, twin solid core cable for a touch more dosh that's highly rated by the audiophile bunch: http://lavacable.com/vovox.htm

• Members

oh boy here we go with the audiophile bull{censored}.

AUDIOPHILE BULL{censored}

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

audio: from Latin, meaning to hear; philos:from the Greek meaning to love, bull{censored}: from the English, meaning the spent droppings of bovine mammals...

To write off as irrelavent or meaningless audio mumbo jumbo, because it is not clearly understood by HCEG forumite JoshuaTSP and has therefore been discounted as nonsense.

• Members

For $150 they had darn well have some voodoo in them wires. You can pick up a silver-coated, twin solid core cable for a touch more dosh that's
highly
rated by the audiophile bunch:

$150?!? holy cow. i'm pretty sure mine didnt cost that much otherwise I wouldnt have gotten it. But mine may be the shorter version...lol.

fiddler

• Members

I own one. It failed after about a month. I've never had a cheap Rapco fail that quickly.

I replaced it with a Mogami Gold (around $50). It has seen weekly gigging for five years with no problems. I bought another Mogami recently. Great cables for the price.

• Members

To write off as irrelavent or meaningless audio mumbo jumbo, because it is not clearly understood by HCEG forumite JoshuaTSP and has therefore been discounted as nonsense.

:thu:

i know of another forum that had a couple of cables loaned from lavacable.com to A/B against standard run of the mill cables. the results were promising, but whether the extra scratch was worth it was another. in the studio, i'd definitely try them out. but if i were gigging, carrying around a bunch of hundred cables might not be the best idea :idk:

• Members

There's a ton of great cable companies to buy from out there.

The key to a good sounding and long lasting cable is the type and quality of termination used. How the plugs are attached to the cable is the most important thing.

I really enjoy my Spectraflex cables. Mogami makes a damn good cable, but can be a little dark sounding. Dark (accurate) sounding cables are best for non-instrument apps, where-as guitar and bass need bright sounding cabling to help overcome the limitations of full range speakers in the cabs. This all my opinion, of course. :)

• Members

AUDIOPHILE BULL{censored}

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

audio: from Latin, meaning to hear; philos:from the Greek meaning to love, bull{censored}: from the English, meaning the spent droppings of bovine mammals...

That is why the most highly respected and sought after sound companies don't fall for all the false claims? Cable is cable. Any decent quality wire and good ends will pass the signal just fine.

Archived