Funniest thing a Guitar Center Employee has told you?

rock-lobster

• Members

So I worked for a year and half in a photo store and I've seen lots of {censored}ed up situations.

The boss and co-workers were such ***holes, you can't imagine!

- Once, there was a smelly customer who came in. (I didn't even mention he was smelly, but apparently, my boss thought so,...)

My boss came to me and whispered in my ear: "that guy so stinks, could you help him?"

I helped the customer without any problem, while seeing the boss taking a wind-turbine putting on the counter in front of the customer.

- There was a customer complaining about his pictures that had bad colours. The normal procedure was to send the photos back to the lab so they can reprint again.

No, my boss was so frustrated that day that he went outside on the street and threw the pics in the air!

- As that same boss was a dog-instructor at an idiot dog-school, he always talked about that... every normal conversation with a customer ended up in dog-school-talk...

Boss: "yes I know what you mean, that behaviour is similar with dogs, in our dog school, they always.... blabla".

After half an hour, boss says: "I wrote a book about dogs last year, if you're interested..." *gets bored*

- The boss couldn't stand that people went just for information and than buy the camera in a different larger store where it's cheaper.

He said to customers: "when you give me

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My buddy who was a GC store manager told me......."I'm leaving. I'm tired of babysitting".

This has to be the saddest story I've ever heard.

Funniest thing I've heard recently is this:

So I went in to try out a VM vs a Swamp Ash vs an SG Special Faded, and I'd talked to this guy Tyler the day before and told him I'd be in to consider my purchase. Despite my age, he was really accommodating, and we even had some really intelligent guitar discussion while we were at it. So while I'm waiting for him to get done with another customer (before we started talking), another guy walks up to me and asks if there's anything he can do for me. I tell him I'm waiting for Tyler, but I'd like to try out a VM, so he goes up, grabs one for me and says "when you're done, you can just put it back there...or...you know...buy it..."

I lol'd :lol:

• Members

Go visit your boss someday and tap around on his walls when he isn't looking. he sounds like the kind of guy who would keep a parallel family inside his house's walls.

Hehe, well, it's been 4 years ago since I worked there...

But a few weeks ago, I went out with some friends in the city where that shop is located, and I walked next to the shop, they still exist :(

Well, they've had some burglings (duuh) and lost tons of money already. It's a wonder how he still keeps his business done.

• Members

I was in the acoustic room and this kid picked up a banjo and says to me, "This is a banjo. It's a cross between a drum and a guitar."

The employee who said that is a cross between a donkey and a dead rat.

• Members

Read throught the whole tread this moring. So much fail on the part of these idiots. Reminds me why I stay the heck away from that place.

One time I was looking at pedals and a guy pointed out a Boss Blues Driver and just started rambing about what the controls did. Of course, all he said about them was that the one labled "drive" affected the drive, "level" changed the volume, and "tone" changed the tone.

• Members

Okay so here we go..... true fekcin st:evil:ry!!!

I walk into a guitar center a few years back, this of coarse is when I actually played often and had some chops....I walk in and I hear this kid playing crazy train ( sucking it up b.t.w. ) Here is how the convo went

Kid: *playing intro riff to crazy train and hitting every string somehow on an ibanez...*

Salesmen: Awww dude that is so heavy, you should be in ozzy in a few years, I heard Zakk is on his way out!!!

Kid: do you think im good enough for that, I've only been playing 2 months?

Salesmen: Yea but you know, if you buy this gibson les paul zw custom, you'll be ready to go....

Kid's mom after seeing the price tag: Come on (forgot kids name) lets go to a pawn shop instead, they won't try and bend us over!!!!

Okay one more involving me about 6 months ago

Rob walks into guitar center, finds one of these olp guitars just to see what the fuzz is about... I start playing this thing through a 5150 at super low volume (if thats even possible hehe)... So then I see a salesmen with that "rich kid" look in his eyes...... so I began the setup...

Salsemen: What can I help you with man???

Rob: *Starts playing AWFULLY BAD* ahh, just trying to see if I like this amp or not...

Salesmen: Oh thats the new peavey 5150 ( yea, this was 6 months ago at best...... the "New 5150...."....

Rob: Why is it called 5150?

Salesmen: thats because Van halen wanted an amp to match their record title (nice try I guess..... )

Rob: So why didn't they call the amp Van Halen???

Salesmen:.....................So how do you like the amp???

Rob: Im not sure....... I just don't feel like it's that good..... (bare in mind im playing AWFUL, I mean Tom Delonge sounded like Satch compared to how im playing...)

Salesmen: Well you know, once you take this bad boy home you'll get it dialed in and it will sound great!!!

Rob: Can you dial it in for me?

Salesmen: Ahh no way man, thats up to you, you have your own sound man, it sounds great!! you should pick this thing up and get started!!

Rob: Im just not feeling it, can you hang here for a second???

Salesmen: Sure!!

Rob: *Gets up, walks away and grabs 2,000$$$ Gibson*

Salesmen: Man thats a sweet guitar too!!!

Rob: *Starts playing the song Mr.Crowley and then the solo and just freaking NAILS IT*

Salesmen: .................*Dazed and confused*

Rob: Man!!! All I need is this better guitar and the amp!!! I'll take them both!!!!

Salesmen: No Sweat man, I'll even throw in the cable for the guitar!!!

Rob: Oh man...... I forgot.... Im not wealthy..... sorry dude..

Salesmen:................knowing he just got pwned for being a dum#$@#$..... Priceless!

• Members

Well, I've found the build quality to be VERY close as of late...a pup change and you have essentially the same guitar.

With good planks, and a pup swap, I think you can get a budget guitar to sound great. But, there is a definite difference in feel between the MIA and MIM Fenders. You can get a bad example, or good example of either one. However, most of the people who own good examples of both will tell you that there is a quality difference as it relates to the feel of the guitar. You might not notice it within a single hour of playing, but with more time to compare it might become apparent to you.

I'm not dissing MIM Fenders. I have played some good ones. But, generally, they don't measure up to the best example MIA Fenders in my experience. Still, with a neck and pup swap on the right MIM Fender, I know I could be very happy.

• Members

Haven't heard employees saying stupid stuff at my local GC, but that doesn't mean driving an hour to get there is without it's rewards.

Funny things I saw/heard at GC

*Kid playing (very crappy) metal on an Epi Broadway in Drop-D

*A Gretsch electromatic hollowbody that some kid left in drop C

And finally-

*A woman going into the drum room and asking for new sticks for her Rock Band game. It turns out that she hadn't broken them yet, but she was "an intense drummer".

• Members

I bought a "new" amp at the NYC GC that had been on the floor for about 2-3 years. I was told I could return it at any GC, no problem, if I didn't like it within 30 days.

I return home and decide, after a week, that I don't like it since it had some cosmetic and mechanical issues and for a "new" amp I wasn't satisfied. So, I head to my local GC to return it. They said it would be no problem but they'd have to call the first GC to ok the return....

So, they talk to the guy who sold me the amp and he freaks out. He says that I can't return it because it was a "special" amp that they gave me a good price on and that you can't return items that are on sale and such....

In reality, he just didn't want to lose the commission. So, I tell him that on the back of my receipt, in the return policy, it says that ALL items are returnable within 30 days UNLESS otherwise stated on the receipt.

He basically broke down and started saying how I was being unreasonable and mean and that he spent 7 hours helping me; which is just plain false.

I basically had to threaten him by saying I would call the police because he was, for all intents and purposes, stealing my money.

After 3 hours of standing around in the store, I finally got my money back.

Also, one time, I wanted to try out a Soldano SLO they had setup in the "loud room." The salsman actually kicked everybody out for me and said, "You might want to leave...this is going to be really freakin' loud!"

• Members

With good planks, and a pup swap, I think you can get a budget guitar to sound great. But, there is a definite difference in feel between the MIA and MIM Fenders. You can get a bad example, or good example of either one. However, most of the people who own good examples of both will tell you that there is a quality difference as it relates to the feel of the guitar. You might not notice it within a single hour of playing, but with more time to compare it might become apparent to you.

I'm not dissing MIM Fenders. I have played some good ones. But, generally, they don't measure up to the best example MIA Fenders in my experience. Still, with a neck and pup swap on the right MIM Fender, I know I could be very happy.

unless of course you're talking about MY deluxe player's strat :mad::mad::mad::lol:

• Members

Okay, I have a good one. Last year, I was shopping for an acoustic in one of the New England GC's. So I headed off into the quiet room and started trying out various models. I'd been in there for a little over a half hour when this youngish employee comes running in, and tells me that I should have waited for some assistance. I replied, " So where were you a half an hour ago? I could use a bit of help here, I'm looking at a few of those nicer ones on the top pegs." No word of a lie, he says.... "Well to be honest, I was getting chewed out by my asshole boss for not making any big sales yesterday. So would you PLEASE buy one of these {censored}ing things so I can make a little money and get him off my back?" Little did he know(untill it was too late) that his boss had the door cracked open enough that he heard every single word the kid said.

• Members

I was told to stop playing a sweet vintage Mustang bass out of a sweet vintage Bassman amp. When I told him about how the Bassman is actually a bass amp that guitarists adopted, he covered by saying that he thought I was playing out of the Hot Rod Deville 4x10 next to it. I then told him that the Hot Rod Deville is actually just a modified Bassman. He just kind of shrugged and let me be. They should understand that young people can afford expensive gear. I had a '59 Bassman LTD RI. I know what I'm talking about. Sheesh.

the hotrod deville is not a modified bassman,

beyond you not knowing what you are talking about, I will leave it at that.

• Members

my dad was getting me a first guitar but for whatever reason wanted a brand new one with it's box.

so we talk to the salesmen and he says that they don't come in boxes, they just get the guitars.

i spot a manager nametag (turns out he was the keyboard manager) on a guy walking past me a few minutes later and explain to him my situation (i needed a price match to their site and i needed it in the box) and he was very happy and friendly and went to the computer and ordered one for us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

2 weeks ago I went tot a guitar shop and the salesguy was some young dude telling something with an arrogant tone to me. He mentioned guitar brand names with a wrong intonation to impress me.

And in that conversation we had, he said at least 5 times "I have that guitar at home too... " for every guitar we discussed.

• Members

MIM Fender is just as good as MIA. It's the same thing!

Well...at least the guy wasn't lying.

Don't see the problem with that statement. Honestly....buy a Standard MIM Strat and have to change out the electronics and PUs. Switch out the tuners and maybe put on a bone nut. Buy an American Standard Strat and....you guessed it...change out the electronics and PU's, switch out the tuners and put on a bone nut. :D

But hey, you get a hard-shell case thrown in with the American Standard!

But anyway, I was in a GC last night and was looking around. The employees there were okay, didn't hear anything too bad. But WOW...every kid that came in there to test out guitars ALL played "Smoke on the Water". Four different kids were doing that. Is this like one of the songs you learn when playing "Guitar Hero" or something because I think they were all in there with their mom's to look into getting starter guitars.

Hey, if it gets more kids into music I'm all for it!

• Members

It wasnt funny at the time to me but i kinda laugh about it now.

I called my local GC asking if they had a Tele in Arctic white. He says yes, so i ask him to look it over and make sure its not f-ed up as I am 30 miles away. He tells me its mint. I get there and theres a half inch crack in the neck. I felt like hitting him with it. They had 4 other MIM teles in stock and every single one of them had issues.

• Members

" I dont give advice,I sell my talents"....... My reply as i walked away..." I hope you have another job other than this one"............Have'nt been back since

I get calls constantly that start out "I just need to ask you a question...."

I'm usually patient, polite and complete in my answers since the dolts on the other end of the phone won't comprehend the info provided anyway but I've always been tempted to say: "I made a deal with the Salvation Army....they don't work in IT and I don't act as a charity."

Haven't done it yet - probably won't - but I'm tempted.

Still, most luthiers I've met have been a bag of quirks.

Archived