Funniest thing a Guitar Center Employee has told you?

rock-lobster

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No need to pick on GC employees. They are just regular people just like you guys here.

One level I agree with you - but this thread has included examples from many different music stores including the mom and pops where they don't bother to learn the first thing about the gear. GC claims expertise and spends large heaps of cash pushing its hipster image - which makes the real-life experience of visiting a GC such a surprising, occasionally off-putting one.

I will say that the acoustic, pro audio and drum sections of GC are VERY different animals - the sales staff there are usually knowledgeable and serious - occasionally to the point that it's intimidating!

It seems that the guitar/amp department staffing mirrors the product mix and sales approach - turn and burn and wait for the next lot.

• Members

I was in GC yesterday and I overheard a customer asking a salesperson about a particular feature on a new Fender amp. The saleperson didn't know the answer, so the customer asked to see the manual. The salesguy was probably to lazy to go in the back and get the manual, so he tells the customer that they don't come with manuals. The customer looked surprised and question him about that, but the salesperson was adamant. I was tempted to go over and tell him I just bought a new Fender amp and it came with a manual (not much of a manual, but it had the basic info the guy was looking for).

I asked for a manual with an item I bought (probably a pedal). The GC counter guy did the 'stare at the monitor for 10 min' trick then disappeared only to emerge with some sheets of paper stapled together. He had simply brought up the manufacturer's web site and printed it off. Thanks I suppose but I could have done that at home without standing around waiting!

• Members

GC claims expertise and spends large heaps of cash pushing its hipster image - which makes the real-life experience of visiting a GC such a surprising, occasionally off-putting one.

Hipster image? Every GC ad I've ever seen screams out "We are a liquidation warehouse where you can get a strat for under a hundred bucks, even when we don't have any sales going!!!1!!"

If you're a poor kid looking to form his first garage band, picking up a Squier Bullet and a cheap amp from GC seems to make a certain amount of sense (though you can do MUCH better with used gear with a little effort and somebody with a little experience helping you out.)

However, I'm in my 30s, and I'll take the modest mark-up of a quality mom-n-pop store any day.

Archived