Strat guys, like your Les Paul?

Honky-Tonk

• Members

Well, there's strat guys, then there's LP guys, and their Gibson Lover counterparts. And then there's the hate Fender and Gibson camp. This is aimed at the people who prefer strats or strat like guitars...

How many of you also have a LP, or LP like guitar, consider it your second guitar, but totally love the LP. If you had to choose one guitar and it was between the strat you love oh so dear, and the LP that you pick up on a regular basis and remember why you bought it, would your head explode?

I would hate to have to choose between mine...

2use1.jpg

• Members

I favor my Reverends (which are very Fender-like in their construction), but also own a Les Paul. I find it difficult to enjoy playing the LP simply because of the neck...my left hand is just much more comfortable on a Fender-style neck than it is on the Gibson.

That being said, I love the sound of the LP so much that I would never part with it. Live, however, I only play Fender style necks. They are just more comfortable for me.

• Members
Get those furry cloth sleeves for your rubber tubing on the guitar stand of that nitro LP, fool!

I recently received a nitro friendly guitar stand. Luckily, no damage to the finish, except from playing. :wave:

I favor my Reverends (which are very Fender-like in their construction), but also own a Les Paul. I find it difficult to enjoy playing the LP simply because of the neck...my left hand is just much more comfortable on a Fender-style neck than it is on the Gibson.

That being said, I love the sound of the LP so much that I would never part with it. Live, however, I only play Fender style necks. They are just more comfortable for me.

I had that problem with an epiphone that I had years ago, so much so that I got rid of the epi. It was horrible anyway.

My current two guitars are a little different, more noticable in length than in shape, so I don't have much trouble switching between them.

• Members

I like going to a shorter scale with my LPVM, and I like that beefy sound for some music. It also sounds better with certain pedals and amps than my Strats. I still prefer single coils though, and the humbuckers always sound slightly muddy in comparison, and although I love my Strats, lately, I have been favoring my Telecasters.

• Members

Id choose the LP but that doesn't mean I hate strats. I quite enjoy both guitars. The LP still gives me that feeling of amazement that I don't get from the strat. But that doesn't mean that I don't love the way the strat sounds caus I do.

• Members

I'm not an LP guy although I own one. My new am. std. is coming in the mail next week. I like the comfort of my lag which is strat shaped much better than the LP so I can say that I'm more of a strat type. My main guitar is a semi-acoustic, though so that makes me an f-hole, I guess.

• Members

At the moment I have a strat only, but, soon I'll buy an LP. Love'm both. Maybe the strat a bit more... but just a bit more... I'd say 60/40.

Actually, strats, LPs, 335s, teles... they're all great guitars, love them all...

Dudes, don't bother too much about the equipment, just play... :cop:

• Members

2use1.jpg

You have to lose that truss rod cover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OT though, I've played primarily Fender-y guitars, mainly a MIM tele and i do find it awkward playing them but its the sound I just can't get used too, lovely in someone else's hands but I just can't get on with it!!

• Members

Love the LP tones, looks and the (bigger) necks. My back hate the weight of most of them :(
I have a Hamer Special FM that can get close enough to a LP with a bit of eq'ing. Very glad to have those sounds available to me

• Members

I can't say that I love either one more than the other. I play my strat and think, " I don't need any other guitar to play. This thing has it all." Then I play my lester after that....and it's the best guitar I've ever played. But the strat is amazing.

• Members

I've tried several times to bond with a Les Paul, and I just can't do it.. Strats and other strat-like guitars jsut suit me more than Les Pauls do. And it isn't the weight, nor the tone, cuz my Carvin CT easily outweighs a typical Les Paul and the tone coloration is in the same neighborhood.. It's just the physical geometry of the Les Paul design that I don't like. LOVE the look, it's a beautiful, classic design.. But it just don't jive with me..

• Members

Got one I Love, few Hamer's that I would never ever part with.

jan28_05.jpg
body3.jpg

Out of the LP's I actually play this Studio more than my Standard. It has a BB-Pro-Neck pup, and the 498 Bridge. That combo of pups sounds superior to me than the dual BB-Pro's in my Faded Standard.

CIMG1708.jpg

Then A/B the LP to the Hamer's? The 25.5 scale with the Wilkinson Trems just give the Hamers a punchier feel to the fret-board. All the guitars have PAF style pups with the Alnico Vs being the hottest. The KOA has a set Custom built by DiMarzio out of 4-Rail s-c size buckers. A Cruiser, Chopper, and two Fast Track IIs. Then the bottom and top plate are custom built by Larry. A Switchcraft 5-way is added for the single-coil Tones. Versitile guitar that doesn't give up anything in tone next to the Gibsons abd Seymour Duncans. The Kool Blue has the SD 59/JB set which are stock to this model Hamer. Sound just fantastic in his guitar. I don't know what it is, but that set of SD's sound better in the Hamer than any other guitar I've heard them in. And I've tried that set in a few electrics with mixed results. In the Mirage II....Outragous

This is my latest STRAT. And I STILL don't have an updated photo since it has a Pearloid PG and Trem plate, Tele Chrome knobs, and White Pearl Buttons on the TMs.

feb08_04.jpg

I love these New HWY-1 though. When I un-plug a LP or Hamer then plug in the HWY-1? I don't feel like I'm losing Volume like I do with my Vintage Style Strats. These babys are definatly more on the Rock and Roll side than the Glassy, Bell like Tone side of the Strat spectrum.

• Members

I'm actually a tele guy, strats being secondary, but I do have a couple LPs which I also enjoy.

If you had to choose one guitar and it was between the strat you love oh so dear, and the LP that you pick up on a regular basis and remember why you bought it, would your head explode?

I can't see ever having to make that choice, but if I did, obviously, since teles are my personal favorite, that's the one I would keep.

• Members
I'm gassing for a strat, but if I had to choose Tele or LP.....

HPIM0194.jpg
Can't do it. Gotta have both (and the strat!)

How do you like that model Valvetronix? BTW you can't go wrong with those two electrics. Meat and Potatoes of the game there. A newer used HWY-1 Strat?

Hell, you'd be Good to Go.

• Members
Well, there's strat guys, then there's LP guys, and their Gibson Lover counterparts. And then there's the hate Fender and Gibson camp. This is aimed at the people who prefer strats or strat like guitars...

How many of you also have a LP, or LP like guitar, consider it your second guitar, but totally love the LP. If you had to choose one guitar and it was between the strat you love oh so dear, and the LP that you pick up on a regular basis and remember why you bought it, would your head explode?

2use1.jpg

fix your truss rod cover:mad::mad::mad:

• Members
fix your truss rod cover:mad:
:mad:
:mad:

I want to make one that matches the wood on the body of the guitar!:lol:

I put it that way just messing around, and never changed it back. At least it matches the nut. Today is my day off, maybe I'll fix it.

Archived