Strat guys, like your Les Paul?

Honky-Tonk

• Members

I used to have an Epi Les Paul standard. I never really bonded with it, and I sold it.

Maybe I'll give Les Pauls another try sometime when I can afford a Gibson one, but I'd say I'm much more likely to go for an SG (although something about the geometry of an SG seems a little strange to me - the bridge is quite high and the pickups are very high off the body)

• Members

I love my LP's I don't have a problem with the scale or the weight.
I do like the contours on the Strat better and I typically like the tones out of my Tele's and Strat's more than the LP's.
But it's good for a change. I can't think that I would ever be without at least one LP.

• Members

I've been playing strats since '89, but always wanted a Les Paul, right up until I tried a bunch. I did find one that was fantastic, but it was stupidly overpriced at the time and I wouldn't buy it. I eventually bought a Heritage, which is nicer *to me* than all but one Gibson I've played, but the bonding thing's never happened, even though it sounds fabulous.

MIJstrat.jpg

Heritage.jpg

I have, however, found the right compromise.

full02.jpg

This is a Godin Radiator. It has a roughly Les Paul shaped body and scale length, 2 smooth, fat pickups, hardtail stringing and 6 a side tuners. Yet at the same time it has a bolt-on maple neck and fingerboard, the pickups are single coils and everything is mounted on a scratch plate. The shorter scale makes it very sweet and easy to play and the neck joint gives great access to the top of the (24 fret) neck. The pickups handle overdrive more like PAF types than strat singles, which is a great thing, but behave much better than buckers run clean.

If it would quack like a strat then I think it would be a very serious rival, but there are no ducks at all in that guitar.

Archived