What's the general consensus on PRS SE models?

ttiw

• Members

I've been thinking about picking up an SE Custom or Singlecut... they appear to look pretty cool and I think they'd make a nice "fixer-upper" guitar with some new pickups and hardware. I haven't gotten a chance to play one just yet but does anyone have any experience with their quality, how they play, and what hardware should be swapped out to make it better?

• Members

I got a new Custom SE for $450 and replaced the pickups & tuners. Plus $100 of fret & nutwork. It's a great sounding and playing guitar but with the total cost somewhere north of $860 with tax and the case parts and labour...

• Members

I just traded for a Santana SE in Black. I like it, but do plan to do some mods. I hate the pickguard, so that came off but now I have the screw holes that stick out like a sore pecker. I am mulling over a refinish on it but I don't know what is underneath(I'd like to do a faded semi-transparent finish). Also as has been said, new Pickups and upgrade the nut. Probable the Seymour JB/Jazz or '59. As is it's a pretty nice guitar though. I'm glad I traded for it.

• Members

I have the Soapbar II and played the Custom and Singlecut. I liked them all. I see no need for changing any hardware except maybe the tuner (but only on the Trem models)

The only lower line Korean guitars that IMO are better than the PRS SE's are the Michael Kelly's. I own both and the MK is just awesome and I've never played a bad one.

• Members

I had an SE Custom. Decent guitar for sure. Better buys if you get them used generally. I like the Singlecut a lot, and would probably go for that.

I sold mine eventually, it just didn't have the kinda "soul" I was looking for in a guitar. A bit generic if you know what I mean. The USA models on the other hand...

• Members

The only lower line Korean guitars that IMO are better than the PRS SE's are the Michael Kelly's. I own both and the MK is just awesome and I've never played a bad one.

Can you define "lower line Korean guitars"? Is there an "upper line"? :confused:

• Members
Can you define "lower line Korean guitars"? Is there an "upper line"?
:confused:

I'm sorry to confuse. I meant lower line guitars, not lower line Korean. Out of all the Korean guitars I've owned or played the MK's and SE's are the best IMO

Oh, and FWIW, I recently bought a Gibson, and I've played it twice in 4 weeks, always reach for the MK :thu:

• Members

I've had my PRS Allender model for a few weeks now. It has turned out to be my favorite guitar of all those listed in my sig. I play it every night and in fact is right here now about to be played. Want hot pickups? It come with them. I haven't changed a thing. The more I play it, the better it stays in tune. If I ever do mod it, it will only be tuners.

My next SE will be the singlecut trem. A couple of guys at the local GC told me that of all the guitars they handle, the SE's are the most bang for the buck.

Below is my earlier review of this guitar.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1997371

• Members

Our other guitarist has a PRS SE. I think it plays great, but doesn't stay in tune very well. To be fair, it hasn't had a professional set up, but still. I also think the stock pups are too dark sounding. So, I guess with a decent set up and a different set of pickups it would be a pretty sweet guitar. Came with a nice gig bag too, if you like that sort of thing.

• Members

the other guitarist in my band has an SE double cut. while it does sound very good for its price, it seems like the finishing touches just arnt there. for one, it goes out of tune like crazy. so i would recommend getting locking tuners, especially if you plan on using the trem. the frets are kind sharp too and could use a filing.

but there are all really superficial blemishes. Its still a great guitar for the price. the pups are HOT. great for screaming blues and modern rock/metalish stuff.

• Members
The singlecuts kick ass. I would definately go for that if you purchase an se.

+1. The singlecuts and Soapbars are the only ones that I have played that were good-to-great. For whatever reason, the other double-cuts do nothing for me :idk:

• Members

I have an older Santana SE. I filed the nut slots and it stays in tune perfectly now even with heavy whammy use. I also installed PRS Phase II locking tuners but it really didn't need them.

I replaced the pups with PRS HFS & Vintage Bass pups and it sounds nearly identical to my old CE24.

It's an excellent guitar and I have less then $500 in it.

• Members

i have a santana SE and the soapbar II SE and both are fantastic. i never thought a korean guitar would match the quality of japan but i've been very surprised at the workmanship. the prs SE gig bag is second only to the G&L bag. very padded and cool (embroided logo on front makes it cooler). both guitars are very very light.

• Members

The SE One I have absolutely SCREAMS! I LOVE the P90 in it... Mine stays in tune for weeks at a time... I don't understand others tuning problems.

The nut and fretwork on mine is perfect as is the fit and finish.

I did by mine in person after playing it on 3 or 4 different occasions.

Gary

Archived