i ask for new guitar for Xmas, girlfriend flips out

Argali

• Members

I just have a hard time believing that there is NOTHING that the original poster would like other than a guitar or similarily expensive gifts. He just comes off as a pouting child. It's actually kind of sad that he can't think of SOMETHING; it seems like an indication that he needs to leave his guitar practice room or something. Go to a store, look around. If I spent a 1/2 hour at a store, I could probably find a bunch of things that I wouldn't mind having.

Even if your life is myopically focused on guitars, there are still tons of guitar items that will fit into ever budget. Like someone said, you can never have too many picks or packs of strings. How about a pedal or some nice expensive cables or something?

Personally, I'd be content with a crummy sweater as long as it fits OK.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My wifes a stay at home mom, so any big ticket gifts I get from her on xmas I ussually pay for. I'm fine with it, because I ussually wait until christmas to buy stuff for myself indirectly that I wouldn't normally feel comfortable buying. I personally hate how commericial xmas has gotten. My son gets spoiled rotten (this is his second xmas) and I'm afraid he may end up missing the point of xmas, too. My families thing has always been that xmas is for the kids and once we moved out we stopped buying gifts for each other. My wifes family all exchange gifts so it's kind of nice to get cool little stuff again. I prefer gifts with some thought to money, but money is always appreciated. People can always use it. But i can always use another pair of socks :)

• Members
Originally posted by voneville

My wifes a stay at home mom, so any big ticket gifts I get from her on xmas I ussually pay for. I'm fine with it, because I ussually wait until christmas to buy stuff for myself indirectly that I wouldn't normally feel comfortable buying. I personally hate how commericial xmas has gotten. My son gets spoiled rotten (this is his second xmas) and I'm afraid he may end up missing the point of xmas, too. My families thing has always been that xmas is for the kids and once we moved out we stopped buying gifts for each other. My wifes family all exchange gifts so it's kind of nice to get cool little stuff again. I prefer gifts with some thought to money, but money is always appreciated. People can always use it. But i can always use another pair of socks
:)

You can never have enough pairs of socks.

• Members

Originally posted by Paul J. Edwards

Buy her something with diamonds in it and you will understand the true meaning of Christmas.

Most women are as stupid as a rock.

Ask for socks and buy a guitar on sale on 12/26..

^^^Has no clue. He's probably just fuming that he gets a fool made out of himself by most women.

Sorry.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

^^^Has no clue. He's probably just fuming that he gets a fool made out of himself by most women.

Sorry.

Now here is someone who just proves that he does not understand.

What I said just goes way over his head.

Dude, you do not know how to read between the lines.

• Members

I'm gonna just throw this out there in case no one has thought of it: She already bought him an expensive present. Just a thought. . . not much else would make her more pissed off than buying something that she saved for, and then finding out that he wants something else, or that he spoiled her surprise.

Anyway, resume your . . . conversation.
:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Paul J. Edwards

Now here is someone who just proves that he does not understand.

What I said just goes way over his head.

Dude, you do not know how to read between the lines.

What's to not understand? You said most women are stupid, which makes you look like a uneducated, bigoted redneck.

• Members

i might as well jump in on this.

A)Women get the long end of the stick in relationships. Always. They will give you the long end in one or two things, or be fair with you on one or two things. (i get this on guitars...as long as it's not out of control she leaves me alone). I've learned to compromise. I've quit smoking weed and cigarrettes for my girlfriend. I drink only if she's around/she approves. My attention is usually diverted towards her if we're in each others presence (not because she asks, but because i cant take my eyes off her, BUT thats another thing)

B) Compromise is they key to relationships.

That being said, girls should compromise on some levels. As long as they're fair about it (and guys, you know when they're being fair about it...if you have 8 {censored}ing guitars and you want another one, trade one, will ya?).

It's balance and compromise where the women always win a little bit.

It's the art of love.

• Members

Ironically enough, it seems that the folks that really disagree with me are the antisocial heavy metal I-Hate-Humanity types. I really feel sorry for you guys. You guys demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of people, especially women.

If people feel uncomfortable about giving you money for Christmas, that is the end of it. They don't have to give you money; they don't HAVE to give you anything. To contine on about it, complain about it, or God forbid, talk to them about it, you appear extremely childish and selfish. Just be grateful that there are people out there that like you enough to give you gifts. You must realize that there are people out there that will get nothing for Christmas, and would just love to have people to spend the holidays with, let alone recieve a crummy brown sweater (PS: I've love a crummy brown sweater. It's cold here).

Some of you guys REALLY need to grow up and develop a larger sense of reality. Please tear down that periscope from your one open eye.

Wow, you really are clueless.

To start, I'm plenty social and a majority of music I listen to isn't even metal....LOL...you really fouled up that assumption...

What's even funnier is that I have a completely happy and functioning family who ALL operate this way every season and we all respect each other.

I think you need to look in the mirror and realize why most people here aren't agreeing with and then understand that it has to do with your inability to process simple logic. I think someday you'll grow up and understand that not everyone thinks as you do in your own little world. Every family operates differently.

So much for all your holier-than-thou posturing....LOL.

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

To start, I'm plenty social and a majority of music I listen to isn't even metal....LOL...you really fouled up that assumption...

What's even funnier is that I have a completely happy and functioning family who ALL operate this way every season and we all respect each other.

I think you need to look in the mirror and realize why most people here aren't agreeing with and then understand that it has to do with your inability to process simple logic. I think someday you'll grow up and understand that not everyone thinks as you do in your own little world. Every family operates differently.

"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina, Chapter 1, first line

Russian mystic & novelist (1828 - 1910)

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Look it up.

Don't have to - already know what it is. Still, he wasn't pissed. It was a symbolic gesture - every prophet before him had to "cleanse the temple". Its part if the deal.

I stand behind my assertion that Jesus was always willing to take care of business, but he didn't get pissed. It just wasn't in his nature.

• Members

Originally posted by affy

Just got back to this thread and was about to post about this. Nothing like yelling, kicking over tables, and using a cat-of-nine-tails whip to let folks know you are pissed. They got off lucky from what he could have done.

Okay, back on topic.

Yeah, that may be a bit more hollywood than the real thing ...

• Members

Welll that sucks.... I didn't even ask... and my wife went out and bought me a new PRS for christmas :)

Your problem is that its your girlfriend...... you just gotta find a woman that understands, then marry her before she gets smart and realizes you are actually a Guy and that really we are the dumber ones most of the time.

• Members

Really, this problem is very simple.

Some people - doesn't have to be women - just feel that a gift should be an item, and that a part if gift giving is that they get to see your "joy" in receiving it.

If your girlfriend feels that way, then you should tell her, no problem, please get me whatever gift you would like (she SHOULD know you well enough to know what you might like) or think up something totally different on your own. She should have no say in what you ask of your familly and friends - and if she DOES, she should keep it to herself (though she may disapprove). If she insists you tell her what you want, show her the guitar you want and say "that!"

Nothing unreasonable about that. You ARE compromising, you are understanding her feelings about the gift she gives you. She needs to compromise with you and agree that if your familly is OK with money for a larger gift, and you are OK with it, its not any skin off of her back. In all seriousness, the "meaning of Christmas" has *nothing* to do with how much a gift costs, or if it is given by one or many, or opened in front of the giver, or bought before or after Christmas. A gift is a gift and there aren't rules about gifts and how they are given, except by those who give them.

I think the larger issue though is all this gift giving in the first place. When I think about it, We buy a gift for every one of my wife's sibling's kids, and each sibling buys a gift for our kids. We buy one for each of our parents, and they by one for us. In the end it would make a lot more sense to skip all of the gift giving and buy ourselves something nice for Christmas (and of course we buy something for our own kids). As far as I can see the gift hunting has become largely a hassle, and the give opening is mostly mechanical. None of it really relfects on Chrismas itself. Further, the whole gift thing isn't really and truely an important aspect of Christmas at all. It was only a couple generations ago that typical Christmas presents were a book, or a sweater, and a few treats, and that was it. In total. Its only in the last 50 years it has become such a spend-fest.

When my wife and I were young and on our own we would buy each other all kinds of presents for Christmas, and open them after midnight Christmas Eve, just the two of us. That is the last time I really saw the present buying and giving as a significant part of the Christmas season. In my mind, the issue is why do we give gifts at all? Once we decide to do so, all these rules about them are meaningless except one - it is the gift GIVER who decides what to give.

• Members

no women should ever change who you are. before you get into the relationship they should know perfectly well who you are, and if they want to change that, too {censored}ing bad.

why would you want to be with someone who wants you to be different than you are anyway.

how much of a {censored} could you possibly be to say that changing for a women is part of a relationship? it is not part of a relationship at all, which is why most people are retarted and go through a million relationships without ever being truly satisfied.

it is truly vain to say you should compromise on the way you act/live your life because your "partner" wants you to. If its something that is detrimental to your health, her reasons should be simply that. she should want you to change because shes concerned your health is at risk, not because she doesnt want to be with someone who smokes or drinks or whatever.

if she doesnt want to be with someone who drinks, let her be with someone who doesnt drink, dont change your life cause some dumb bitch doesnt have the mind to go out with someone who has what she wants.

also, the question of the original post was not about the spirit of gift-giving or relationships or whatever, it was whether or not it was wrong of him to suggest to his family that they give him money so he can get what he really wants, because no one person could get what he wants.

and since that is the case, i say no, because you are being reasonable.

you dont want your parents to buy you a new guitar cause its too much, same for anyone else, so for that matter, you asking for money so you can get the guitar is much more sensitive to the situation of your family. you understand they dont have a lot of money to just spend, so you come up with an alternative.

not selfish at all.

• Members

You're right, he doesn't need anything. So he doesn't NEED a guitar. If people find it insulting to give cash as a Christmas gift, you need to grow up and realize that it's not all about you.

He's in the process of moving, so I assume that they're will be things that he will NEED.

Some of you folks REALLY need to grow up. I really hope that some of you guys truly don't believe in and behave in the ways that you allude to in your posts.

YOU are the one that NEEDS TO GROW UP...all you can do is insult people that have different opinions than you do. Not EVERYONE has the same exact lifestlye as you OR has the exact same relationships with their spouses as you, so why is your opinion the only one that counts? And WHY the hell should THEY be expected to ACT like you want them to?

If someone wants money for christmas, then what the hell is your problem? Not everyone thinks like you do, so give it a REST!

• Members

Originally posted by ranalli

Here's the difference:

That's just your family. The family of the OP poster doesn't like the idea of cash as a gift. Discussion over. Any more ranting about it on his part makes him childish.

• Members
Originally posted by super_dark

Welll that sucks.... I didn't even ask... and my wife went out and bought me a new PRS for christmas
:)

Your problem is that its your girlfriend...... you just gotta find a woman that understands, then marry her before she gets smart and realizes you are actually a Guy and that really we are the dumber ones most of the time.

Yeah, because there is something wrong with a woman that thinks that excessive guitar purchasing/playing is a problem...:rolleyes:

It's just like how most alcoholics don't think they have a problem, yet everyone else does. So everyone else except the drunkard are wrong, right?

• Members

Originally posted by myname1

YOU are the one that NEEDS TO GROW UP...all you can do is insult people that have different opinions than you do. Not EVERYONE has the same exact lifestlye as you OR has the exact same relationships with their spouses as you, so why is your opinion the only one that counts? And WHY the hell should THEY be expected to ACT like you want them to?

If someone wants money for christmas, then what the hell is your problem? Not everyone thinks like you do, so give it a REST!

No, the problem is that people with whom he is in relations with have problems with his behavior. If his girlfriend, friends, and family don't mind giving him cash, then that's fine. But they aren't comfortable with it. They don't want to. I don't care if they do or not. But him continuing to insist upon it and let problems with his relationship arise with it clearly shows that he has a significant problem on his hands. He is being childish and immature.

• Members

Originally posted by Sex Machine

no women should ever change who you are. before you get into the relationship they should know perfectly well who you are, and if they want to change that, too {censored}ing bad.

No offense dude, but if excessive GAS and excessive guitar playing that interferes with relationships and overtakes your life to a point that you consider it a personality trait or part of you self concept, you've got a HUGE problem. Seek help. Please.

A woman disagreeing about purchasing a 5th guitar is not grounds for breaking up a relationship. If anything, she has more reason to be pissed off than the disturbed guitar player.

Some of you people take this little guitar hobby WAY too seriously.

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

If you're old enough to not need to open gifts under a tree xmas morning then you're certainly old enough to not ask for gifts like some slobbering kid sitting on Santa's lap, no?

I'm doing the same thing that this guy is doing this year with my family. I don't have an electric guitar, and I can't justify spending enough of my money to get one that I would want.

If nobody gave me a damn thing I'd be just as happy. But since I know they're going to spend money on me whether I tell them to or not, it might as well go towards what I want.

I don't have any needs that I can't provide for myself, and I really don't want anything but a guitar right now.

• Members

Here's the difference:

That's just your family. The family of the OP poster doesn't like the idea of cash as a gift. Discussion over. Any more ranting about it on his part makes him childish.

You're still not getting it.

If the family is going to ask what is wanted, then they better be prepared to get what the person asks for since they are putting zero thought into it anyway.

If someone asked you what you want for Christmas and you said get me a tie and they brought you a pair of pants you didn't need/want.....well that's just inconsiderate and wasteful.

Unfortunately, your childish "I'm going to get whatever I decide to get that person" approach is just that....childish not to mention selfish. The gift isn't for you so don't try to make it out to be.

If someone close to me asked for a gift that was completely ridiculous or something I didn't agree with I would get it for them.....I'm there to make THEM happy...not myself. It would be selfish of me to bicker with them over it.

Archived