i ask for new guitar for Xmas, girlfriend flips out

Argali

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

Seriously, why wait for xmas? Just go buy the guitar.

Because I don't have the money to do that. I'm actually saving to buy a house and preparing for a cross-country move. If all my relatives gave me just a little bit of money, I'd be able to pull together about $500, which is plenty to buy a good used guitar. But I don't have $500 of my own cash to spend on a guitar right now.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I didn't mean to glase over the fact that she flipped out. Not sure about that, but it seems to me that there is more to the story (with her). If she's that concerned, ask for some simple stuff so that she can wrap them and all that stuff so you have something to open from her.

I sent everyone my MF wishlist this year. I added a bunch of little stuff to it so that there was something in just about every price range. You can never have too many strings, picks, etc. Course I also added some more expensive stuff and just gave the disclaimer "things I'm looking to buy myself". Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will buy them. :) This way they are happy cause they give me something besides money and I'm happy because it is still guitar related.

• Members

Originally posted by Argali

Because I don't have the money to do that. I'm actually saving to buy a house and preparing for a cross-country move. If all my relatives gave me just a little bit of money, I'd be able to pull together about $500, which is plenty to buy a good used guitar. But I don't have $500 of my own cash to spend on a guitar right now.

Ah, I see. I'm in the same boat, been watching the bucks all year, buying the house next month. Priorities...

Well don't forget, whatever gifts you do get can be cashed out if you do it soon enough after the holiday. Gifts get exchanged, it happens, people know this and usually don't mind.

Good luck with the house and the relocating!

• Members

My wife and I are in the same general boat, so I can sympathize. We don't really have that many wants or needs and what we could use is, oh, a replacement car. New tires. A really good air cleaner. In general things that are either too expensive or not glamorous enough for people to get us. So we've just knuckled under and are letting people get us whatever. It makes them happy. And we'll just take the clothes back to the store and buy a bunch of stuff on clearance with the credit.

• Members

Originally posted by hare.29

That said, I have heard the phrase "you are NOT getting another guitar" from my wife a few times in the last month or two.

One of the first things she said after I brought up my whole "oh just give me money" statement was: "But you already have four guitars."

To which I replied, "I really hope this isn't an argument we're going to have over and over for the next 70 years."

• Members

This is so {censored}ing retarded. My family is bugging me about what to get me for Xmas. Honestly, at 28, I don't need much. So I decided, {censored} it, I'll just ask everyone to give me money, and I'll go out and get a new guitar, which is really what I want. So I tell my girlfriend this five minutes ago, and she flips out, saying I don't get the "real meaning of Xmas" (lol) and that asking everyone for money is impersonal and unfair. My response was, christ, I'm 28 years old, I don't need to open {censored} under the tree on Xmas morning anymore, why not just give me money and I'll get what I want? Doesn't that make it easier for everyone? But no, I'm completely wrong and bla bla bla, so I hung up on her for making me feel like an asshole.

:confused:

I'm sorry, I agree with your girlfriend.

Your argument would make an economist proud, but asking for cash contributions ain't what Christmas is about.

Now if you could give them a laundry list of guitars you'd like to have and they could pool together and surprise you with one of them, that would be closer to appropriate.

Or maybe they will listen to you and give you a MF or GC gift certificate. But peeling off some green, uh uh.:(

• Members

Your 28 and you still go through that BS? I'm 15 and I pick out exactly what I want for christmas and I ask for money from relatives. I'm a very picky person myself and if they get me something I dont like I return it, simple as that. Its not that its not the spirit of christmas by asking for money, christmas is about giving. If they give you money they still get the feeling of giving you something you enjoy. The wish list seems like a better idea too. If they know thats something you want everyone can pick something to get you if it isnt too exspensive.

• Members

For my birthday last year I had a digitech gnx4 on my e-bay watch list. I gave hint after hint and showed the listing to my wife and all my family members. Everyone pooled their money together and surprised me. i suggest that you find a guitar on e-bay and do what I did.:idea:

• Members

Originally posted by timmy210

Your 28 and you still go through that BS? I'm 15 and I pick out exactly what I want for christmas and I ask for money from relatives.

damn right. i just say to my dad when approaching christmas 'how much then?' get a figure and go huntin' when i find what i want i purchase it and talk it into my hands as soon as it arrives non of this away till christmas bs

• Members

This is so {censored}ing retarded. My family is bugging me about what to get me for Xmas. Honestly, at 28, I don't need much. So I decided, {censored} it, I'll just ask everyone to give me money, and I'll go out and get a new guitar, which is really what I want. So I tell my girlfriend this five minutes ago, and she flips out, saying I don't get the "real meaning of Xmas" (lol) and that asking everyone for money is impersonal and unfair. My response was, christ, I'm 28 years old, I don't need to open {censored} under the tree on Xmas morning anymore, why not just give me money and I'll get what I want? Doesn't that make it easier for everyone? But no, I'm completely wrong and bla bla bla, so I hung up on her for making me feel like an asshole.

Man if she flips out about that, it isn't about what the "real meaning of Christmas is" 'cause it ain't about presents at all....

But back on task. If she's that anal to demand that you open up little presents under the tree than it's flat out not about you. It's about her and her desire to have this picture-perfect little Christmas with her beau where he's opening up all the cute little presents on Christmas morn. That way she can have this sweet little memory of 2005 to tuck away in her head.

Well B.S. on that. Girls like sentimentality and guys like practicality. If she wants a guy than she'd better learn to respect the practicality. Otherwise she can go hunt for some feminist raised piece of WOman-byproduct that answers "Yes mommy dearest!!" to every chick that snaps at him. :mad: :mad:

Seriously though, your request is not outlandish!! I just did the very same thing for my birthday earlier this month and I ended up getting a brand new Randall RM20 with a JTM module. My wife didn't even bat an eyelash. She knows that I like practical gifts and not the "foo-foo" crap that people buy for $40.00 or less.

So there ya go man. You're in the classic battle of the wills. Is she gonna let you be the man you are, or are you gonna let her mold you??? :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

--Phrostbit

• Members

Here's what ya do: After she shoots you down for the new guitfiddle, ask for a threesome with her sister. If you still have a GF after that, you might just get the guitar.

All seriousness aside, I've been married for YEARS and my wife just asked ME for a Christmass list, like I'm 10 or something... (I'm 40). She should and does know me by now, she's just to lazy to put any effort into it...

But maybe I'll get that Agile I slipped in...

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

ouch...laying down the smack on yo ass, Argali
:p

:D

lol

Seriously, what my relatives want me to do is give me the list of specific crap I want, which is what I've done for the past few years. But this year, I dunno, I just don't want anything other than a new guitar and very specific items to mod my existing guitars with.

• Members

I don't think it's impersonal at all! What you really want is a new guitar, and unless your girlfriend and/or family are loaded it's a bit too much to ask one person to buy - so asking for that as a group gift is perfectly fine! It happens at 'baby showers' all the time where an office will all collect money and get either a big present or a gift certificate to 'Babies-R-Us' or something like that. Just tell you you were being honest - would she rather you LIE to her?? She asked - you answered what you really wanted. There is no problem with that on any level.

• Members

Dude, thats exactly the way I feel (I'm 35, and buy myself what I need) and I tell my family and friends if they want to get me something (I try and say please dont get me anything) for the holidays a little cash never hurts :)

I wouldnt get too worked up about it - nothing wrong with being practical.

AJC

• Members

I know wat you mean.

I have given up asking for money for christmas...my parent/relatives feel that, that is not the real christmas.

So i tell my mom and dad something gear related every year....and cds and cheap ($30-$50) stuff from my grandparents.....all well..

I will get that Mesa F-30 eventually...and my gibson....and my marshal...

Archived