i ask for new guitar for Xmas, girlfriend flips out

Argali

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

You're right, he doesn't need anything. So he doesn't NEED a guitar. If people find it insulting to give cash as a Christmas gift, you need to grow up and realize that it's not all about you.

He's in the process of moving, so I assume that they're will be things that he will NEED.

Some of you folks REALLY need to grow up. I really hope that some of you guys truly don't believe in and behave in the ways that you allude to in your posts.

+1 I wonder how old the posters making these comments are, as I recall about half the forum population is 18 and bellow (I appologise to those who are younger and not making stupid comments, dont mean to generalise about you)..... its just hard to believe that if someone has been in a successfull relationship with a woman that they could suggest some of the things they do..

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Bbreaker

Just go to Monmouth Music; have a nice conversation with Nick; pick out a guitar (with your girlfriend in tow); play it thoroughly till you're happy and buy it.

You know you want it.

bbreaker, you're a bad influence

focus:

23, just out of college and i'm in the same boat:

someone:"what do you want?"

me: "nothing really, except ."

someone:"what's that run?"

me: "more than you are spending on me, here are some cds and dvds, and i need shirts and ties because i keep spilling coffee on myself. if you buy me something other than shirts or entertainment media, i will cry. or buy me strings. i need this type or this type, here is a link on MF."

• Members

Cash is fine. Nobody wants most the crap people buy for them anyway. {censored} shopping, {censored} the mall, {censored} being a consumer whore at christmas time.

I've been getting money from everyone since i was 15. Why ask for a bunch of crap when you can just get money and buy what your really want..... a big bag of pot!

haha, anyway girls don't like guitars because they are attention whores, and guitars take our attention away from them. Either teach them to deal with it early on in a relationship, or sit in the {censored} stew you made for yourself.

• Members

Originally posted by Shocker

Congratulations. You've just stated my and the OP's stance.

:rolleyes:

//S

Perhaps you have a problem with reading comprehension, but I'm telling the OP to grow up. While you guys think that it is perfectly acceptable to recieve cash as a Christmas gift, the rest of us less selfish members of society realize we are part of a larger process here in which we need to respect the beliefs, feelings, and needs of others (family members, in this case, no less).

• Members

Originally posted by SoundwaveLove

Cash is fine. Nobody wants most the crap people buy for them anyway. {censored} shopping, {censored} the mall, {censored} being a consumer whore at christmas time.

I've been getting money from everyone since i was 15. Why ask for a bunch of crap when you can just get money and buy what your really want..... a big bag of pot!

haha, anyway girls don't like guitars because they are attention whores, and guitars take our attention away from them. Either teach them to deal with it early on in a relationship, or sit in the {censored} stew you made for yourself.

Spoken like a true 15 year old without the slightest inclination for the understanding of women or people in general. It looks like you have already prepared yourself for a lifetime of failed relationships (because of you, not them) at such an early age.

FIRST PRINCIPLE OF RELATIONSHIPS: They are about compromise and egalitarianism. It seems as if 90% of the folks around here fail the most basic principle.

When you let something as stupid and insignificant (in the grand scheme of things) such as GAS or guitars interfere with a relationship, you are a glaring case of a person who needs immediate counseling.

Some of you people need to learn that there are more important priorities that playing guitar and, even more so, acquiring guitars and gear. Any person that lets guitar disrupt a relationship (even the most insignificant) in even the slightest way needs immediate help. I'm serious.

• Members

Originally posted by T113

my wife just asked ME for a Christmass list, like I'm 10 or something... (I'm 40). She should and
does
know me by now, she's just to lazy to put any effort into it...

But maybe I'll get that Agile I slipped in...

My wife has done the same thing, every year since we've met. The first year or two, ok, I can understand. But after 5 years? And to make things worse, she asks me for, like, 10 lists... and gets me stuff that's not even remotely similar to what's on the list. This years lists have a carryover from last Xmas- Ibanez S470 DXQM. Her Xmas present- she got in october- a car. My guitar? About 3 weeks after never. Women.

• Members

Perhaps you have a problem with reading comprehension, but I'm telling the OP to grow up. While you guys think that it is perfectly acceptable to recieve cash as a Christmas gift, the rest of us less selfish members of society realize we are part of a larger process here in which we need to respect the beliefs, feelings, and needs of others (family members, in this case, no less).

Perhaps not. I found it funny how ironic that statement was. I'm sorry you couldn't enjoy that with me.

As others have said, her giving him some random gift he didn't ask for and likely doesn't want has nothing to do with making HIM happy, it has everything to do with making HER happy.

She doesn't really understand guitars or guitar players, so she thinks that collecting or even enjoying them is a trite hobby that's not worth spending money on.

Since he's a grown man who can fend for himself, he doesn't technically NEED anything. Also, since he's a grown man, his WANTS tend to be out of the price range for most single buyers to afford.

But if people give him money towards some big ticket item he actually wants, then he can get closer to doing that, which will make him happy, which was supposed to be the point of the whole thing in the first place.

People act like when they give someone money for Christmas, they go out and buy $5 office desk fountains, Far Side Calendars and picture frames. If they did (which no one in the history of time has ever done), then you'd have a point.

See, I made that really simple and I didn't even need to call you a simpleton to do it. Amazing how adults are capable of that, right? ;)

//S

• Members

People are selfish for requestion cash instead of being subjected to receiving junk they dont' want/need??

You are delusional man....really.

Not an OUNCE of sense in that. How selfish are YOU to decide what other people want/need for them??

I feel bad for anyone you buy gifts for this seasons. I hope you get a brown knitted sweater.

• Members

Hey,

Here's a thought. Why don't you take the money you'll spend on your girlfriends present, and all the money your asking for and go do something good with it.

Like go to a shelter on christmas day and offer your time. Give the guy running it your money. You'll feed a whole bunch of people for days and days and keep them warm. Make sure you take your girlfriend with you.

THAT is the true meaning of Christmas. The love you receive is often greater than the love you give. You two will have karma for months.

PS. It's also a tax deduction.

• Members

Spoken like a true 15 year old without the slightest inclination for the understanding of women or people in general. It looks like you have already prepared yourself for a lifetime of failed relationships (because of you, not them) at such an early age.

FIRST PRINCIPLE OF RELATIONSHIPS: They are about compromise and egalitarianism. It seems as if 90% of the folks around here fail the most basic principle.

When you let something as stupid and insignificant (in the grand scheme of things) such as GAS or guitars interfere with a relationship, you are a glaring case of a person who needs immediate counseling.

Some of you people need to learn that there are more important priorities that playing guitar and, even more so, acquiring guitars and gear. Any person that lets guitar disrupt a relationship (even the most insignificant) in even the slightest way needs immediate help. I'm serious.

He's right about that, at least up to a point.

I would never expect my wife to get me something like that. Now my mom - that's a different story! :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by CrackerD

This whole thread must be really pissing Jesus off.
:mad:

Nah, Jesus doesn't get pissed off - otherwise he wouldn't be Jesus. Of course that one time on South Park he DID get a bit uppity! But that wasn't pissed off, he was just takin' care of business. You know takin' care of business is his thing!

• Members

Originally posted by progguitar

Hey,

Here's a thought. Why don't you take the money you'll spend on your girlfriends present, and all the money your asking for and go do something good with it.

Like go to a shelter on christmas day and offer your time. Give the guy running it your money. You'll feed a whole bunch of people for days and days and keep them warm. Make sure you take your girlfriend with you.

THAT is the true meaning of Christmas. The love you receive is often greater than the love you give. You two will have karma for months.

PS. It's also a tax deduction.

true meaning of christmas? there is no real meaning of christmas, at least in the way we celebrate it. its the celebration of the birth of jesus christ.

personally i dont believe in jesus, or god, so the holiday is meaningless.

at least for me

somehow christmas became a holiday about giving {censored} away. a truly american holiday. everything around here is about money

well, if you ask me its horse{censored}.

what would be the point of going to a shelter?

it would be much more selfish and condescending to spend a day there and expect all the kids to run up to you and love you cause you gave them something.

if i was living in a shelter and somebody just came by to help out for a day i would hate them.

its christmas time so im going to help. what about all the other times of the year. they are hungry, cold, hot, sick all year round.

this is why i really hate christmas, everyone things that if they act good during christmas they are a good person, but if someone doesnt try and act "nicer" during christmas they are a grouch or a grinch or whatever the {censored} that gay {censored} is.

this makes no sense btw...

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Look it up.

Just got back to this thread and was about to post about this. Nothing like yelling, kicking over tables, and using a cat-of-nine-tails whip to let folks know you are pissed. They got off lucky from what he could have done.

Okay, back on topic.

• Members

Ironically enough, it seems that the folks that really disagree with me are the antisocial heavy metal I-Hate-Humanity types. I really feel sorry for you guys. You guys demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of people, especially women.

If people feel uncomfortable about giving you money for Christmas, that is the end of it. They don't have to give you money; they don't HAVE to give you anything. To contine on about it, complain about it, or God forbid, talk to them about it, you appear extremely childish and selfish. Just be grateful that there are people out there that like you enough to give you gifts. You must realize that there are people out there that will get nothing for Christmas, and would just love to have people to spend the holidays with, let alone recieve a crummy brown sweater (PS: I've love a crummy brown sweater. It's cold here).

Some of you guys REALLY need to grow up and develop a larger sense of reality. Please tear down that periscope from your one open eye.

• Members

Getting money is nice and practical. But I can honestly say as I have gotten older that I much more appreciate a thoughtfull gift, even if its a cheesy sweater. A lot of times money is like "ohhhh, its a holiday right? I guess I have to give you something right?? ok well I dont have time for that, heres some cash"..

The gifts I get from people whether big or small are the ones I cherish more, they show that the person cared enough to go out and buy something for me, just for me, yay! (makes me feel special, maybe I'm selfish or sentimental). It gives pleasure for everyone, the person probably enjoyed buying me the perfect gift, and enjoyed watching me recieve it.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

Getting money is nice and practical. But I can honestly say as I have gotten older that I much more appreciate a thoughtfull gift, even if its a cheesy sweater. A lot of times money is like "ohhhh, its a holiday right? I guess I have to give you something right?? ok well I dont have time for that, heres some cash"..

The gifts I get from people whether big or small are the ones I cherish more, they show that the person cared enough to go out and buy something for me, just for me, yay! (makes me feel special, maybe I'm selfish or sentimental). It gives pleasure for everyone, the person probably enjoyed buying me the perfect gift, and enjoyed watching me recieve it.

Alchemist- I totally agree with that.

I think my point is that if someone actually asks you what you want, and the only things you can really think of are too expensive for them to buy, it still shows that they were thinking about what you might want by giving you money towards that- whether it's a gift card or actual cash.

Of course, some people in this thread would expect that anyone holding my position doesn't have a heart or understand sentimentality- there's nothing further from the truth. Last year, my friends went out and bought a bunch of us (in our group) gift bags that had, among other things, $2 Gumby DVDs (I didn't even know they made those!), $5 giant Heineken bottles, candy and other things. I thought that was awesome of them. This year, they are definitely going to be high on my Christmas list because, regardless of the value of the items, it meant a lot to know I was being thought of.

So I totally get where you're coming from. :thu:

//S

Archived