i ask for new guitar for Xmas, girlfriend flips out

Argali

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

And how is my "disease" dysfunctional? I think it's a worthy hobby, but that's it. Some people turn it into a lifestyle, which is often counterproductive.

It's jamming your head directly up your ass, which I hear, can cause serious spinal problems and halitosis.

//S

• Members

Originally posted by myname1

How can you even say he was CHILDISH? You are making a JUDGEMENT CALL of him when you admit you know VERY LITTLE of the situation!

You don't even know this guy, his past financial history and yet you make posts that he is immature because he wants another guitar? Good grief I wish for ONCE you would read what you posted!

You imimediately take the position of his girlfriend being right and him being wrong when you KNOW that you very little of the situation....and you want to call that fair? I call it Bull{censored}!

I don't think either of them is necessarily "right or wrong". I don't think in terms of dichotomies. Sorry.

But his bickering and whining about it makes him childish. His girlfriend wasn't stopping him from asking relatives, so I don't see the problem. Obviously, she doesn't want to give cash, but that's her own opinion that he has to respect.

• Members

And how is my "disease" dysfunctional? I think it's a worthy hobby, but that's it. Some people turn it into a lifestyle, which is often counterproductive.

Ahem.. how can't it be a lifestyle when your earning your life playing guitar ?

It's not everyone who plays for a hobby , wake up

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by otaku1625

Yes, but you are avoiding the point (we CAN live with one outfit.)

OUTFIT OUTFIT OUTFIT. See, I can say it.

I just bought a pair of jeans tonight that were carefully considered in the context of my other clothing so that I bought the right pair. But this is beside the point.

As to your point about child neglect, I would NEVER put guitars ahead of my children. However, if their basic (and not-so-basic) needs are met, and I have met all mandatory (including charitable giving) demands on my finances, why not buy something that I'll enjoy and use?

I never said that owning several guitars in a context that does not create problems was bad. If you own several guitars and everything is fine and everyone is OK with it, then there is no problem. The problem is when you let it interfere with relationships and necessities. Many forumites allow this to happen.

• Members

Endlessly wasting money to find "the tone" so that it interferes with other things is dysfunctional. End of story. I thought playing guitar was about making music, not scrutinizing over the perfection of your tone.

No, posting {censored} like you do is dysfunctional..END OF STORY!

Again, you have no idea what I do with my equipment so how can you automatically "assume" anything about me? Or even the first poster and that HE was WRONG?

And how can you judge anyone when you don't know the first thing about getting a "tone"??

Heres your answer: You can't, but you do try to put it in with your garbage of "me looking for a tone", when I am not looking for anything!

Fact is you don't know what the hell I have or how I use it. So you try to save face by saying that everyone but you is wrong.

Sorry it ain't gonna fly!

• Members

A HELL of a lot more than YOU! At least I don't make stupid posts that make no sense at all.

And I couldn't give two {censored}S how many posts you do or don't have. On this or any other board. So I could care less how OFTEN you post, it is WHAT you are posting that is frightening. Anyone can post dumbass remarks and do it over 5,000 times!

5,000 dumbass remarks? No one even knows who the hell you are? What the hell have you contributed? Anything? Half of your posts were probably bitching in this thread. Before you start calling people trolls, you should probably reevaluate your own position in the forum.

• Members

"I can't believe..."

That is you. He is someone else, perhaps not gifted with the wonderful powers of meditiation on the act of wanting things that you have demonstrated to us tonight. He wants a guitar, end of story. Need I say more? (I hope I do need to, because this is a great way of practicing my writing skills while increasing my post count at the same time.)

If the givers don't want to give him what he wants, that's fine, but his original post indicated that his famly was going to buy him what he wanted. Clear enough?

They said that wanted to know what he wanted for Christmas. They never indicated that they would buy him a guitar. If my folks asked what I wanted for Christmas, and I told them I wanted a new car, it doesn't mean that I'm going to get it.

If they give him certificates or pitch in to buy him a guitar, great for him. But no where was it indicated that that is the case.

• Members

No, posting {censored} like you do is dysfunctional..END OF STORY!

Again, you have no idea what I do with my equipment so how can you automatically "assume" anything about me? Or even the first poster and that HE was WRONG?

And how can you judge anyone when you don't know the first thing about getting a "tone"??

Heres your answer: You can't, but you do try to put it in with your garbage of "me looking for a tone", when I am not looking for anything!

Fact is you don't know what the hell I have or how I use it. So you try to save face by saying that everyone but you is wrong.

Sorry it ain't gonna fly!

When did I say that? All I ever said was that the search for "the tone" and the resulting GAS is often dysfunctional.

• Members

I never said that owning several guitars in a context that does not create problems was bad. If you own several guitars and everything is fine and everyone is OK with it, then there is no problem. The problem is when you let it interfere with relationships and necessities. Many forumites allow this to happen.

Ha. I ain't buying it, brother. :freak:

You call owning more than one guitar a "disease", whether in the context of a relationship or not. Dual standard again.

His girlfriend is not opposed to the buying of another guitar as she is to the concept of asking for cash as a Christmas present. So is the guitar really the issue?

• Members

I don't think either of them is necessarily "right or wrong". I don't think in terms of dichotomies. Sorry.

But his bickering and whining about it makes him childish. His girlfriend wasn't stopping him from asking relatives, so I don't see the problem. Obviously, she doesn't want to give cash, but that's her own opinion that he has to respect.

NO the problem is NOT about him, it is HER ATTITUDE....not that she cannot have an opinion, but it was the way she expressed outrage at his suggestion and it was ONLY A SUGGESTION!! He has a RIGHT to make a SUGGESTION without fear of someone going bannanas! That was what made it wrong. Period!

• Members

Can you explain without the arbitrary insults or do you have no point?

You ask how is your "disease" dysfunctional.

The answer is that I can't say, because I don't have enough information. Moreoever, I don't really think you have a disease. I do think you have a problem understanding/interpreting sarcasm and jest.

In addition, I would never make a blanket statement (in seriousness) that anyone with over 5000 posts on a message board has a disease.

Yet you seem perfectly happy making generalizations like that, then providing no justification or backup for them, with no care for or understanding of every person's unique situation.

Now, I could say all of that, which sounds nice and rational, or I can assert that you have your head lodged betwixt the cheeks of your ass and still get the same effect.

I am a terse man.

//S

• Members

Ha. I ain't buying it, brother.
:freak:

You call owning more than one guitar a "disease", whether in the context of a relationship or not. Dual standard again.

His girlfriend is not opposed to the buying of another guitar as she is to the concept of asking for cash as a Christmas present. So is the guitar really the issue?

Nope. Owning several guitars is only a "disease" when it causes dysfunction at some level (financially, relationship, etc).

I wasn't necessearily referring specifically to the original poster. However, I do recall him saying something about his girlfriend not understanding why he needed more guitars. That sounds like a problem.

• Members

5,000 dumbass remarks? No one even knows who the hell you are? What the hell have you contributed? Anything? Half of your posts were probably bitching in this thread. Before you start calling people trolls, you should probably reevaluate your own position in the forum.

YOU are the one who is BITCHING.... FOOL! You make all of these DUMBASS COMMENTS about things you know nothing of!

And I have contributed more to this thread than you have, because I have at least accepted others opinions and not gone off on a tangent about people only needing ONE guitar!

It is YOU that should go back and READ what you posted! Mabye then the word TROLL will sink in!

Archived