i ask for new guitar for Xmas, girlfriend flips out

Argali

• Members

Wait, you're moving across the country and buying a house? I hope you're not taking her with you. If you are, I think you're nuts. I wouldn't make that kind of investment with someone who isn't my wife.

If she isn't going with you, just dump her now.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Argali

Just to be clear here, I'm not asking my girlfriend to buy me a guitar. I'm just asking her - and everyone else - for money that I can put toward purchasing a new axe.

I hear ya.

I asked my family for money for a new TV. Didn't {censored}ing get it though....

:mad:

• Members

I specifically told my girlfriend what I want (furman rack power thingy, nothing big. I dont want her spending too much on me)

the whole "surprise!" thing is big with girls. I think my girlfriend's a little upset that I told her what I want and that I revealed 2/3 of our christmas/anniversary gift (anniversary = new years, I combine everything...although technically it's not an 'anniversary' anniversary...we arent married, that's only when we started dating...I'm 17 for chrissakes)...i'm taking her out to a nice dinner and getting her a necklace...and then i'm finding something else she wants.

My girlfriend has learned that guitars are like my second girlfriend, like her with her.....lead singer of something corporate...jesus god you should see her face glued to the TV whenever he comes on.

Maybe I'll buy her that guy for a night.

My family also does the early-christmas present thing. Major purchases (xbox 360, Marshall 1960B...cough...) are christmas gifts. (the xbox is for my brother, he payed 1/2 himself, the other half is christmas cash...same thing with the marshall which was for me) are considered to be for christmas/birthdays.

I already bought my brother his gifts, which he also specifically told me. I get a nice shiny rack case in return.

My mom and dad are in the "need nothing" boat. They just ask me to keep working good enough in school to keep my full scholarship..

• Members

Actually, your girlfriend just knows what's best for you better than you do. Do you really NEED another friggin' guitar?

Geez people. Life exists outside of guitars.

Anyway, stop being so damn selfish and just let everyone buy you crappy gifts so that they can feel good too. Half of the fun of Christmas (for normal, well-socialized individuals) is giving gifts to others. Giving a card with cash in it is just...well...you get the idea.

If you really want a new guitar (which is unnecessary probably), just save up and buy one. Don't hassle everyone else and ruin their holiday spirit over your selfishness.

Seriously, you have to grow up someday.

No offense, but how the hell do most of you guys get girlfriends/wives. It's almost as if you guys have no clue whatsoever on how to interact with and understand other people. We're trying to live in a society here, dammit.

• Members

Originally posted by Crank-N-Jam

I sent everyone my MF wishlist this year. I added a bunch of little stuff to it so that there was something in just about every price range. You can never have too many strings, picks, etc. Course I also added some more expensive stuff and just gave the disclaimer "things I'm looking to buy myself". Maybe I'll get lucky and someone will buy them.
:)
This way they are happy cause they give me something besides money and I'm happy because it is still guitar related.

That's a pretty neat idea.

• Members

One of the first things she said after I brought up my whole "oh just give me money" statement was: "But you already have four guitars."

To which I replied, "I really hope this isn't an argument we're going to have over and over for the next 70 years."

No offense, dude, but if you're arguing over the number of guitars with your girlfirend, YOU'RE the problem not her. Anyone that lets their GAS interfere with a relationship is sick and needs help. I'm being totally serious here.

THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN GUITARS!

Period.

And if you can't see that either, you are sick and need help.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

No offense, dude, but if you're arguing over the number of guitars with your girlfirend, YOU'RE the problem not her. Anyone that lets their GAS interfere with a relationship is sick and needs help. I'm being totally serious here.

THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN GUITARS!

Period.

And if you can't see that either, you are sick and need help.

I agree, guitars and music are a very important part of my life, but family is first.

A lot of the comments in this thread make me wonder how many of the posters are actualy in relationships or have had any significant ones. You dont leave a good woman every time she disagrees with you over something trivial, its a mutual relationship, you dont own her, shes allowed to question what you do:p

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

I agree, guitars and music are a very important part of my life, but family is first.

A lot of the comments in this thread make me wonder how many of the posters are actualy in relationships or have had any significant ones. You dont leave a good woman every time she disagrees with you over something trivial, its a mutual relationship, you dont own her, shes allowed to question what you do:p

Definately.

Some people just put guitars and music crap at the top of the heap as if it's more important than anything else. It's just ridiculous and a huge sign of immaturity.

If you're being selfish and putting guitars and GAS before relationships, which upsets a girlfriend or wife, it's YOU that should be walked out on, not the other way around.

Some people here REALLY need to grow up.

• Members

Actually, your girlfriend just knows what's best for you better than you do. Do you really NEED another friggin' guitar?

Geez people. Life exists outside of guitars.

Anyway, stop being so damn selfish and just let everyone buy you crappy gifts so that they can feel good too. Half of the fun of Christmas (for normal, well-socialized individuals) is giving gifts to others. Giving a card with cash in it is just...well...you get the idea.

If you really want a new guitar (which is unnecessary probably), just save up and buy one. Don't hassle everyone else and ruin their holiday spirit over your selfishness.

Seriously, you have to grow up someday.

No offense, but how the hell do most of you guys get girlfriends/wives. It's almost as if you guys have no clue whatsoever on how to interact with and understand other people. We're trying to live in a society here, dammit.

Substitute something else other than guitar and your point is completely invalidated.

So you're basically saying that if you got a {censored}ing moldy shoe for Christmas you should enjoy it because the person giving the gift knows better than you do what you need/want.

I think you need to get a grip and understand that not everyone works as you do. My family decided we were going to stop giving crap-ass gifts to each other years ago.....doesn't matter if it's guitar related or not.

It's pretty INSULTING to waste a gift buying what YOU think that person wants.....rather than what they really want.

Why do kids bother asking Santa Claus for toys when Santa probably knows better that they need a pair of socks instead??

I would hate to be in your family because I'd get tons of garbage I don't need from people that THINK they know best for me....how condescending.

• Members

Originally posted by Armitage

"Don't know the meaning of X-Mas??? This is the guitar I want to buy!"

esp3-large.jpg

But when you hang it on the wall it becomes an inverted crucifix, and unleashes the evil fury of Satan. Or something.

And when you play it too, sort of.

EVIL!!!! :evil:

• Members

Originally posted by Bbreaker

Just go to Monmouth Music; have a nice conversation with Nick; pick out a guitar (with your girlfriend in tow); play it thoroughly till you're happy and buy it.

You know you want it.

I bought my LP Custom there, my Marshall DSL 100 and 1960A cab, and I plan to buy a few Fenders there in the coming years. Those guys rule.

• Members

I see what you're saying. And I wouldn't even be pissed right now if it wasn't for the fact that my girlfriend seriously just flipped out and was talking to me as if I asked her to buy me a Mustang for Xmas or something. Also, I'm asking everyone for money, which in th elong run means they can spend less on me so I can buy something I'd rather have. This makes a lot more sense to me than opening up presents that people bought me, in a sense, to make themselves feel good that they bought me something.

I can kind of see it both ways too.

It's possible that she's taken it personally though - like you're saying "I don't want the sort of present you'll buy me, I'd rather you give me the money to go out and buy something i want"... that could come over as a rejection of sorts, especially if she's really made a big effort in the past to buy you something that she thinks you'll really love.

• Members

90% of my waking thoughts on HC are just that...

• Members

Ah, finally.....a thread involving a female, a guitar, and Christmas......and it's not about me. In my thread, the best advice I was given was to say,

"Get me that axe, ho! I'm Rick James, biatch. Then, get in the kitchen and make me a sandwich!"

Boy, did that work for me!

• Members

Definately.

Some people just put guitars and music crap at the top of the heap as if it's more important than anything else. It's just ridiculous and a huge sign of immaturity.

If you're being selfish and putting guitars and GAS before relationships, which upsets a girlfriend or wife, it's YOU that should be walked out on, not the other way around.

Some people here REALLY need to grow up.

Oh my God.

Did you miss the part where he said he doesn't need anything?

You know, when you get a certain age, especially if you're a man, you get to the point where you don't WANT anything for Christmas. Gifts are nice, but Christmas is a kids (and secondarily, it seems) a women's holiday. Guys get the "shaft", but that's okay. The things we like cost a lot of money, generally, and we don't want to impose, especially because the holiday is largely not about us.

So the guy asks for money TOWARDS a guitar which is what he would want. I'm sure he'd be happy if everyone spent that same money on their own kids/wives/parents rather than on him, but if they're going to insist, they could at least do something useful.

//S

• Members

Originally posted by Shocker

Oh my God.

Did you miss the part where he said he doesn't need anything?

You know, when you get a certain age, especially if you're a man, you get to the point where you don't WANT anything for Christmas. Gifts are nice, but Christmas is a kids (and secondarily, it seems) a women's holiday. Guys get the "shaft", but that's okay. The things we like cost a lot of money, generally, and we don't want to impose, especially because the holiday is largely not about us.

So the guy asks for money TOWARDS a guitar which is what he would want. I'm sure he'd be happy if everyone spent that same money on their own kids/wives/parents rather than on him, but if they're going to insist, they could at least do something useful.

//S

You're right, he doesn't need anything. So he doesn't NEED a guitar. If people find it insulting to give cash as a Christmas gift, you need to grow up and realize that it's not all about you.

He's in the process of moving, so I assume that they're will be things that he will NEED.

Some of you folks REALLY need to grow up. I really hope that some of you guys truly don't believe in and behave in the ways that you allude to in your posts.

• Members

Originally posted by Stinkfoot

You really can't win an argument with a woman. You may be right, but you'll still lose.

Boy, you said it. My stepkid went shoplifting week before last - after that the kid was sneaking around the kitchen with the lights off at night, probably to snack. Because of the shoplifting incident, I said to the kid, "why are you sneaking around the kitchen - you're acting as if you did something wrong - you probably did." Right on the phone to her mother. The mom wants me to apologize, so I said no. The argument and cold shoulder continued til we were supposed to go to Fla. for T'giving. The wife took the shoplifter kid and my other stepdaughter to the airport and went to Fla without me. So I was alone for Thanksgiving. Whether I was wrong or right, I'm always wrong - go figure. At least I'm not alone.:(

• Members

Originally posted by smurfco

You should get her absolutely nothing for Christmas that she asks for. When she complains that you got her a pinball machine, tell her that she's forgetting the true spirit of Christmas - which apparently is to not be given what you actually want.

OH YEAH? Wellllllll, send ME the {censored}ing pinball machine - you won't hear a peep from me!:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by hare.29

That said, I have heard the phrase "you are NOT getting another guitar" from my wife a few times in the last month or two.

That doesn't stop her from going out and buying DVD boxed sets or shoes - those are "necessities" to her.....:rolleyes:

Archived