i ask for new guitar for Xmas, girlfriend flips out

Argali

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

Again, that is just a stereotype. When I go to the mall, I see just as many guys there as I do girls, and their carrying just as many bags (even in the absence of a girl).

Also, a new shirt or pair of pants is hardly equals an amp or guitar, and clothes are also a hell of a lot more practical than guitar crap.

You talk about practicality without seeming to understand that guitar-related items can be more practical than clothing (or any other basic "need.")

For some people who already have everything they need clothes-wise, a gift of clothing can be quite annoying. I am one of these people, and there have been a number of years where someone in my extended family bought me clothes which I had no use or need for (and also didn't fit my personal style.) Since I was unable to return them, they sat around or took up space until they were given to the Salvation Army. While the person giving the gift may have felt good about it, I felt bad because I could never make use of the gift. I would have much rather they just given me the money for something I could really use, or at least given me a gift certificate to a music store so that the gift didn't come across as "Here, baby, go and pick out something nice."

Just going out and buying something for someone without giving consideration to what that person might want is an insensitive and uncaring act. I have no space for just "stuff" in my life-I have boxes of unused items that I never wanted or needed in the first place, most (if not all) of them gifts. While I would never tell the giver how I felt, the gift of an NBA throw blanket that I recieved one year was highly annoying, because it was not something I ever wanted or needed in my life. It currently sits on a shelf in my closet, taking up space. Had the person known what I wanted beforehand, they might have gotten the pleasure of saying, "Look at him play the guitar I helped him buy a few years back," instead of wondering where the ugly throw blanket they bought me went.

A sensitive and considerate gift is much more meaningful and memorable than one that says, "Oh look, I forgot to ask you what you wanted this year, so I bought you a (insert useless and unneeded object here)." The reciever will likely have to undergo the highly inconvenient ordeal of the after-Christmas return, rather than enjoying the gift, which was the whole point of buying the gift in the first place-for the enjoyment of the reciever. When I look at the gifts that meant the most to me because it was something I truly wanted or needed, I have all kinds of pleasant memories about the person who bought me the gift, because they took the time to consider what would really make that gift meaningful for me.

If the poster in the beginning of this thread finds that some people in his family find giving cash an uncomfortable notion, he could ask for a gift certificate to the store where the guitar he wants is, rather than pure cash, while at the same time placating his girlfriend. That guitar will be a memorable item for him, because every time he sees or plays it, he will be reminded of his family and their meaningful and memorable contribution to him, and every time his family sees the guitar or him playing it, they will be able to say, "I helped him to get that." Happy thoughts all around.

If he doesn't want another shirt, tie, or another badly designed and useless consumer thing that will likely just take up space, then that is a very mature and thoughtful consideration on his part, because he knows his wants and needs. If his girlfriend can't understand that, then perhaps she should take a look at all of the posessions she owns and consider how many she bought without a real want or compelling need.

An inconsiderate gift says something completely different than a thoughtful and/or considerate one, and it's usually not good.

• Members

I'm sorry that doesn't make sense. Do you mean "thought" instead of "taught"?

Anyway, anyone who has a stronger relationship with a guitar than a person (especially a girlfriend or wife) has a problem and needs to seek help. End of story. Anyone who feels that a woman is interfering with your relationship with a guitar has a problem and needs to seek help. End of story.

Some people take this crap too seriously.

You just wrote a 3 paragraph reply to a joke saying that people take "this crap" too seriously.

Hmm.

Are you {censored}ing yourself right now? Can you get on that soon? :wave:

//S

• Members

Originally posted by otaku1625

You talk about practicality without seeming to understand that guitar-related items can be more practical than clothing (or any other basic "need.")

For some people who already have everything they need clothes-wise, a gift of clothing can be quite annoying. I am one of these people, and there have been a number of years where someone in my extended family bought me clothes which I had no use or need for (and also didn't fit my personal style.) Since I was unable to return them, they sat around or took up space until they were given to the Salvation Army. While the person giving the gift may have felt good about it, I felt bad because I could never make use of the gift. I would have much rather they just given me the money for something I could really use, or at least given me a gift certificate to a music store so that the gift didn't come across as "Here, baby, go and pick out something nice."

Just going out and buying something for someone without giving consideration to what that person might want is an insensitive and uncaring act. I have no space for just "stuff" in my life-I have boxes of unused items that I never wanted or needed in the first place, most (if not all) of them gifts. While I would never tell the giver how I felt, the gift of an NBA throw blanket that I recieved one year was highly annoying, because it was not something I ever wanted or needed in my life. It currently sits on a shelf in my closet, taking up space. Had the person known what I wanted beforehand, they might have gotten the pleasure of saying, "Look at him play the guitar I helped him buy a few years back," instead of wondering where the ugly throw blanket they bought me went.

A sensitive and considerate gift is much more meaningful and memorable than one that says, "Oh look, I forgot to ask you what you wanted this year, so I bought you a (insert useless and unneeded object here)." The reciever will likely have to undergo the highly inconvenient ordeal of the after-Christmas return, rather than enjoying the gift,
which was the whole point of buying the gift in the first place-for the enjoyment of the reciever.
When I look at the gifts that meant the most to me because it was something I truly wanted or needed, I have all kinds of pleasant memories about the person who bought me the gift, because they took the time to consider what would really mean the most to me.

If the poster in the beginning of this thread finds that some people in his family find giving cash an uncomfortable notion, he could ask for a gift certificate to the store where the guitar he wants is, rather than pure cash, while at the same time placating his girlfriend. That guitar will be a memorable item for him, because every time he sees or plays it, he will be reminded of his family and their meaningful and memorable contribution to him, and every time his family sees the guitar or him playing it, they will be able to say, "I helped him to get that." Happy thoughts all around.

If he doesn't want another shirt, tie, or another badly designed and useless consumer thing that will likely just take up space, then that is a very mature and thoughtful consideration on his part, because he knows his wants and needs. If his girlfriend can't understand that, then perhaps she should take a look at all of the posessions she owns and consider how many she bought without a real want or compelling need.

An inconsiderate gift says something
completely
different than thoughtful and/or considerate one, and it's usually not good.

First of all, how is a second (or third, etc) guitar practical. You only need one.

Anyway, his family asked what he wanted. So it's not like he'll be getting some random crappy gift (unless they are left to their own devices). I seriously doubt that there is NOTHING other than a guitar in this whole world that he would like (or would find use in) to own. Like I said, drop me off at any random store and I could probably make a list of a bunch of cool things that I wouldn't mind having for free. If all he can think of is a guitar, than that is probably a strong signal that he needs to get out more.

Or he could just have them make him gifts. That's always fun, and I like it when people make me gifts. Those are the best of all as it requires the person to put thought into it.

A final option would be to have the relatives to use the money that they'd spend on buying him a gift to buy a less fortunate child or person a gift (there are those little trees with the cards on them everywhere). The person still gets to buy a gift and they get the added bonus of a feeling of altruism for helping out someone less fortunate. It's win-win--the relative is happy and the guy doesn't have "useless crap cluttering his house (assuming he can't think of ANYTHING but a guitar).

• Members
Originally posted by Shocker

You just wrote a 3 paragraph reply to a joke saying that people take "this crap" too seriously.

Hmm.

Are you {censored}ing yourself right now? Can you get on that soon?
:wave:

//S

His post was not a joke for some people (perhaps such as yourself).

And, yes, some people take guitar way too seriously.

• Members

First of all, how is a second (or third, etc) guitar practical. You only need one.

No one needs any guitars. Guitars are not essential for survival.

No one needs Christmas gifts. Christmas gifts are not essential for survival.

Thanks for the strawman, though. It was nice and crunchy.

We are already in the realm of wants. If someone doesn't think what you want is a good thing to want, they are an insensitive asshole.

//S

• Members

Also, a new shirt or pair of pants is hardly equals an amp or guitar, and clothes are also a hell of a lot more practical than guitar crap.

So if i understand what you are saying one guitar is enough but we can have multiple shirt or pair of shoes?

:)

• Members

Anyway, his family asked what he wanted. So it's not like he'll be getting some random crappy gift (unless they are left to their own devices). I seriously doubt that there is NOTHING other than a guitar in this whole world that he would like (or would find use in) to own. Like I said, drop me off at any random store and I could probably make a list of a bunch of cool things that I wouldn't mind having for free. If all he can think of is a guitar, than that is probably a strong signal that he needs to get out more.

Or he could just have them make him gifts. That's always fun, and I like it when people make me gifts. Those are the best of all as it requires the person to put thought into it.

A final option would be to have the relatives to use the money that they'd spend on buying him a gift to buy a less fortunate child or person a gift (there are those little trees with the cards on them everywhere). The person still gets to buy a gift and they get the added bonus of a feeling of altruism for helping out someone less fortunate. It's win-win--the relative is happy and the guy doesn't have "useless crap cluttering his house (assuming he can't think of ANYTHING but a guitar).

How is a second (or third) pair of pants practical? You only need one. :freak:

For a gigging guitarist (and even the hobbyist) I can imagine owning more than one. One to gig with, a backup and one (or more) that's kept for sentimental reasons. Not entirely practical, but not obsessive either.

His family asked him what he wanted. He wanted a guitar. Any other point is moot. While I can understand your above arguments, that's not what he wanted. And we're working under the assumption that has familly is going to get him what he wants, be that the guitar or gift certificates/money toward the guitar.

I proposed a way that he could do this without offending anyone's sensibilities-ask for a gift certificate. Happy thoughts all around, and the girlfriend doesn't have to complain.

• Members

For some reason I doubt that his girlfriend went "ballistic". All he said was that she was upset. That is understandable.

No, he said that she was upset and he finally hung up on her. Sounds like it was more than a little upset to me!

• Members
Originally posted by Chaos

So if i understand what you are saying one guitar is enough but we can have multiple shirt or pair of shoes?

:)

How many people where the same clothes everyday? I think just about anyone will agree that multiple outfits are a necessity. The only people that will agree that more than one guitar is necessary are diseased guitarists.

• Members

How is a second (or third) pair of pants practical? You only need one.
:freak:

For a gigging guitarist (and even the hobbyist) I can imagine owning more than one. One to gig with, a backup and one (or more) that's kept for sentimental reasons. Not entirely practical, but not obsessive either.

His family asked him what he wanted. He wanted a
guitar
. Any other point is moot. While I can understand your above arguments, that's not what he wanted. And we're working under the assumption that has familly is going to get him what he wants, be that the guitar or gift certificates/money toward the guitar.

I proposed a way that he could do this without offending anyone's sensibilities-ask for a gift certificate. Happy thoughts all around, and the girlfriend doesn't have to complain.

If his family is fine with giving gift certificates, that is fine. But I'm willing to bet that anyone that isn't fine with cash, won't be happy with the idea of gift certificates as they are basically the same thing. I think that he just needs to brainstorm on what gifts he would like. It really isn't that hard. I could probably think of 5 things in the next 10 minutes just by perusing the website for a store.

• Members

How many people where the same clothes everyday? I think just about anyone will agree that multiple outfits are a necessity. The only people that will agree that more than one guitar is necessary are diseased guitarists.

While many would agree that wearing the same clothes everyday is boring, a single outfit is all you really NEED.

Following the above logic, why should I use the same guitar at every gig? What if I want a Strat tone one night, and a Les Paul tone the next? Your argument just doesn't add up.

• Members

If his family is fine with giving gift certificates, that is fine. But I'm willing to bet that anyone that isn't fine with cash, won't be happy with the idea of gift certificates as they are basically the same thing. I think that he just needs to brainstorm on what gifts he would like. It really isn't that hard. I could probably think of 5 things in the next 10 minutes just by perusing the website for a store.

I can't go into Kroger's and spend my Barnes and Noble gift certificate. The whole point of getting a gift certificate to a specific store is that it will be spent there, not somewhere else, as cash could be, even though the cash was given in the assumption that it would be spent at Guitar Center or whichever store the guitar is at. Thus, the giver knows where the certificate will be redeemed, and at least has some notion of what it will be spent on.

He wants a guitar. Obviously, he has given this decision some thought already. Why should he try to think of something that he'd want, when he already knows what he wants? :freak:

• Members

Then join the diseased guitarist club then , by looking at your sig...

you're in need for a shrink consultation too.

• Members

While many would agree that wearing the same clothes everyday is boring, a single outfit is all you really NEED.

Following the above logic, why should I use the same guitar at every gig? What if I want a Strat tone one night, and a Les Paul tone the next? Your argument just doesn't add up.

Apparently you haven't heard his "questing for tone is stupid", "one guitar is all you need" and "guitar playing is a stupid hobby" troll rants before.

You must have also missed him buying the one and only guitar he'd ever need after selling a bunch of good ones only to sell that one and only as well.

Then you might have missed when he started threads asking about several different types of guitars, of course not on a quest of tone.

You might also come to the conclusion that the multiple guitars listed in his signature makes him a hypocrite. Well, yeah, he is.

But that's okay, because his opinion's the only one that matters and so long as he doesn't think he's a hypocrite, he isn't.

Must be fun. :wave:

//S

• Members

Well, first of all, unless you live in Hawaii or some other tropical area, you simply need more than one outfit due to the change in temperature inherent with season change. Also, if you only have one outfit, that means you're probably going to have to wash it very often, which will not only cost you a poop load of money to wash one little outfit, it'll also wear it out quickly leading you to have to buy more clothes more often.

Having more than one outfit IS a necessity, which is why not providing your children with adequate clothing is grounds for neglect.

No one is going to argue that having multiple outfits is a necessity (at least in our culture). But the only people that are going to backup the necessity of multiple guitars are diseased guitarists.

There is no practical reason for a guitar player to own more than one guitar, regardless of at what level they are at--beginner to professional.

I'm sorry, but the clothing:guitar analogy is a poor one at best.

• Members

What's not to understand about women?

Any bedroom banger or weekend gigger that takes guitar as more than a hobby (and lets it interfere with relationships) has a problem.

Really ? I guess you know all about women then? I don't think so! Not the way you are posting!

What about when the person in question (the original poster) only makes a SUGGESTION and gets treated bad for it? Sorry, but your excuses for her behavior are full of holes! Face it, what she did was WRONG.....PERIOD!

Frankly, if she can't even handle how to let him know in a decent manner why she objects to this, then as I have said before and will say it again......she has problems!

All you are doing is wanting to put the guy down for making a suggestion and acting like it is totally his fault and she was totally justified for acting like an ass! Sorry, but I don't buy that. !

• Members

I can't go into Kroger's and spend my Barnes and Noble gift certificate. The whole point of getting a gift certificate to a specific store is that it will be spent there, not somewhere else, as cash could be, even though the cash was given in the assumption that it would be spent at Guitar Center or whichever store the guitar is at. Thus, the giver knows where the certificate will be redeemed, and at least has some notion of what it will be spent on.

He wants a guitar. Obviously, he has given this decision some thought already. Why should he try to think of something that he'd want, when he already knows what he wants?
:freak:

I don't think that it's so much the fact of where the money is being spent as it is that the giver is no longer able to put thought into a tangible present. That is the fun part of giving presents. If the reciever can't think of anything to recieve, that is a problem of the reciever, not the giver. There is no excuse of only wanting cash. There is always something in any price range that would be fun or useful to anyone. Like someone said, you can never have too many pairs of socks.

• Members

Or people like you who post that having more than one guitar is bad or not necessary are fruitcakes!

• Members

Originally posted by Chaos

Then join the diseased guitarist club then , by looking at your sig...

you're in need for a shrink consultation too.

I only own three, and I gave one to my sister (the Tele) and the acoustic was a Christmas gift a few years ago. One of the three amps was a gift, and one was a trade for some junk that I had lying around (I never use that amp either). The other amp costed $89.

• Members

Well, first of all, unless you live in Hawaii or some other tropical area, you simply need more than one outfit due to the change in temperature inherent with season change. Also, if you only have one outfit, that means you're probably going to have to wash it very often, which will not only cost you a poop load of money to wash one little outfit, it'll also wear it out quickly leading you to have to buy more clothes more often.

Having more than one outfit IS a necessity, which is why not providing your children with adequate clothing is grounds for neglect.

No one is going to argue that having multiple outfits is a necessity (at least in our culture). But the only people that are going to backup the necessity of multiple guitars are diseased guitarists.

There is no practical reason for a guitar player to own more than one guitar, regardless of at what level they are at--beginner to professional.

I'm sorry, but the clothing:guitar analogy is a poor one at best.

Then why do you, you poor, sick person, own multiple guitars? My mind is not following your logic. Even if you own two, that is still more than one, which is all you apparently need.

• Members

Or maybe he has no tolerance for people disagreeing with him. It can go either way.

Yeah, BUT YOU MADE THE ASSUMPTION THAT HE WAS WRONG..... WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW THAT! And STILL DON'T! Kinda makes the point for me that you are just posting about something you know completely nothing of!

Archived