i ask for new guitar for Xmas, girlfriend flips out

Argali

• Members

This is so f-ing retarded. My family is bugging me about what to get me for Xmas. Honestly, at 28, I don't need much. So I decided, f- it, I'll just ask everyone to give me money, and I'll go out and get a new guitar, which is really what I want. So I tell my girlfriend this five minutes ago, and she flips out, saying I don't get the "real meaning of Xmas" (lol) and that asking everyone for money is impersonal and unfair. My response was, c****, I'm 28 years old, I don't need to open **** under the tree on Xmas morning anymore, why not just give me money and I'll get what I want? Doesn't that make it easier for everyone? But no, I'm completely wrong and bla bla bla, so I hung up on her for making me feel like an asshole.

:confused:

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Give her the options of A: the new guitar that you want and B: a portion of the money that it will take to buy the guitar, and ask her what she would rather do for the love of her life.

If she's smart she'll give you the money, but she might be up to it if you let her "buy" the guitar with that remaining money for you.

• Members

On one hand I agree with your girlfriend in that money and/or gift cards are a rather impersonal gift. On the other hand I agree with you in that once you get older you want to just get the stuff you want yourself. I'm 34 and don't need anything either. I only have wants and they are more expensive than most people are willing to spend. If everyone gives money, you're that much closer to getting those expensive wants on your list.

So don't be too hard on the girl. A lot of people really enjoy watching others open their gifts and such on xmas. Cards with money aren't as much fun to watch open.

Just my .02 though.

• Members

Originally posted by Crank-N-Jam

On one hand I agree with your girlfriend in that money and/or gift cards are a rather impersonal gift. On the other hand I agree with you in that once you get older you want to just get the stuff you want yourself. I'm 34 and don't need anything either. I only have wants and they are more expensive than most people are willing to spend. If everyone gives money, you're that much closer to getting those expensive wants on your list.

So don't be too hard on the girl. A lot of people really enjoy watching others open their gifts and such on xmas. Cards with money aren't as much fun to watch open.

Just my .02 though.

I see what you're saying. And I wouldn't even be pissed right now if it wasn't for the fact that my girlfriend seriously just flipped out and was talking to me as if I asked her to buy me a Mustang for Xmas or something. Also, I'm asking everyone for money, which in th elong run means they can spend less on me so I can buy something I'd rather have. This makes a lot more sense to me than opening up presents that people bought me, in a sense, to make themselves feel good that they bought me something.

• Members

When someone asks me what I want for Christmas, and I say money, I also tell them that it is not impersonal to give someone what they ask for so that they may apply that money to something they really want, but no single person can afford to buy for me on their own.

I never thought getting money for any reason to be impersonal.

I wish it would happen more often!

• Members

If you're old enough to not need to open gifts under a tree xmas morning then you're certainly old enough to not ask for gifts like some slobbering kid sitting on Santa's lap, no?

Here's a novel idea...

You want a guitar, go buy one. They sell them everyday, you don't have to wait for xmas.

Lastly, feeling like an asshole is a self-inflicted wound.

• Members

I'd just ask for GC gift certificates or gift cards from one of the online sellers like MF. That way you get a bunch of little envelopes under the tree!

I am with ya though, I am 40 (yikes) and don't need anything for christmas, plentry of ties, socks, shirts, underwear, DVDs, sweaters and {censored} already. I just want a guitar as well. Maybe a couple of CDs. Even a new delay pedal would be cool. Tools work for me as well, I need a new circular saw to make my guitar project for next year!

I've asked for guitars over the past 10 years three times and have gotten them though! Not going to push it this year.

• Members

You should get her absolutely nothing for Christmas that she asks for. When she complains that you got her a pinball machine, tell her that she's forgetting the true spirit of Christmas - which apparently is to not be given what you actually want.

• Members

haha I never expect guitar gifts for christmas, luckily my family knows I am very picky so they just give me money, and being an only child, and having an uncle with no kids helps on that front lol...

I remember when I was younger, my parents asked me what I wanted for christmas, and I would say music related stuff, and it was like some taboo.... they would buy me a new PC, SLR camera etc, but not guitar gear which actualy cost less on some accounts:freak:

• Members

Originally posted by Burgess

If you're old enough to not need to open gifts under a tree xmas morning then you're certainly old enough to not ask for gifts like some slobbering kid sitting on Santa's lap, no?

Here's a novel idea...

You want a guitar, go buy one. They sell them everyday, you don't have to wait for xmas.

Lastly, feeling like an asshole is a self-inflicted wound.

lol the internet is serious business.

Archived