Anyone store their LP with strap attached? Safe?

J.L.C.

• Members

Everything I read seems to say that nitro finishes are super delicate. Gotta watch out for the foam/rubber on stands etc or risk leaving marks on the finish.

What hanging an LP with it's strap (or putting on a stand)? Will a suede strap interact with the finish and mess it up?

Here's how I'm 'storing' my toys:

IMG_0130Small.jpg

Strat is poly and the middle one is tung oil so I'm not worried about those; is the LP okay with it's strap attached, or should I be removing that?

The hangers are hercules and I think those are supposed to be safe for nitro.

• Members

I hang all of my guitars and basses.

The Gibby's are fine.

I've used suede straps before...but there are different types of suede...some are softer and stretchy some are harder and not so stretchy...

So far *knocks wood* they've been fine with hanging, hard suede and soft suede, and the foam rubber on the hanger. No problems.

I thought the main issues with nitro had to do with surgical tubing???

I've never had an issue

• Members

Make sure you don't have surgical tubing on your hangers, and make sure your straps aren't vinyl and I *think* you ought to be ok.

On a side but related note, I had a customer who had an early G&L model which I'm pretty sure was a nitro finish, and he left it in his band's trailer one day during the summer, and some of the fur on the back of the guitar case actually stuck to the back of his guitar. I was able to get it out, but you could feel the texture of it in the finish from then on, so I would make sure to never, ever leave a nitro finished instrument in a car on a hot day. Better safe than sorry, for sure.

• Members

To be entirely safe, I put a polishing cloth on the hanger. Gutiar never touches anything but cotton that way..

btw, your picture sort of answers all the questions that can be asked musically.. All bases covered in the most classic of ways.. Nice!

• Members

Make sure you don't have surgical tubing on your hangers, and make sure your straps aren't vinyl and I *think* you ought to be ok.

On a side but related note, I had a customer who had an early G&L model which I'm pretty sure was a nitro finish, and he left it in his band's trailer one day during the summer, and some of the fur on the back of the guitar case actually stuck to the back of his guitar. I was able to get it out, but you could feel the texture of it in the finish from then on, so I would make sure to never, ever leave a nitro finished instrument in a car on a hot day. Better safe than sorry, for sure.

This is true. A local shop that deals with older Gibsons had the finish flake off after sitting on the surgical tubing type of hangar.

• Members

I use only quality leather straps and "approved for nitro" stands and I still have a black "cloud" on the back of my Les Paul that is spreading to the sides and binding. For the life of me, I can't figure out what's going on.

• Members

I use only quality leather straps and "approved for nitro" stands and I still have a black "cloud" on the back of my Les Paul that is spreading to the sides and binding. For the life of me, I can't figure out what's going on.

Could it be the shirts you are wearing? What else touches the back of the guitar?

• Members

I don't, only becaseu I use Schaller straplocks on all of my Les Paul's and they don't fit in the case properly if you leave the strap on.

Really? I use the same but mine fit in the regular Gibson case just fine.

• Members

Could it be the shirts you are wearing? What else touches the back of the guitar?

I wonder if it could just be sweat? I don't know if you gig or whatever, but I know that the finish of my SG gets grungy feeling really quick just from playing at home. I can't imagine what a couple good sweat soaked nights would do to it.

Just a thought.

• Members

I keep leather-end straps on mine and have not had any issues.

There was someone here a while back who reported that he had one of the straps with the embossed silver Gibson logo and that the actual logo reacted with the finish and left a nasty mark.

Edit- this was with the strap curled up in the case with the guitar- the logo would not touch under normal use.

• Members

It's not a big deal to take the strap off before hangin 'er up (schallers on all of em).....I'm just lazy so I prefer just wiping the strings and hanging it back up. This R8 is my first LP and so far I'm lovin it, I just don't want any funky marks in the finish from being lazy - anything that happens to it from playing is just fine though ;)

btw, your picture sort of answers all the questions that can be asked musically.. All bases covered in the most classic of ways.. Nice!

That's what I figure :)

The one in the middle has a pull on the tone knob that splits the coils so it get can some almost strat-ish tones as well.

I've also got an old MIK Fender acoustic and an MIK EX360 Ibanez with a floyd (HSH) that were my first guitars (almost 20 years ago) - I just need to get a couple more hangers so they can all see the light of day.

I still need a Tele and an ES-335 to round out the collection though. Then all that's left is to learn how to play :p

Archived