How Many Distortion/OD pedals do you use?

Beckman

• Members

Amp OD included. I am looking for a small amp by the TV, but also a new Distortion pedal. I have a TS7, Supra Distortion that does not really work well, a newly found muff fuzz, and a Arion Distortion that I used to use for 10+ years. I want a new one. I tested a bunch, and I have to say, I kinda liked the BOss DS-1. I had that 80's EVH sound to it. But, I am still looking.

I know some of you only use the amp, but I play at home, and can't always crank the amp. I have seen pro pedal boards online and they usually seem to have a TS, some fuzz pedal, and sometimes some other DS.

• Members
Amp OD included. I am looking for a small amp by the TV, but also a new Distortion pedal. I have a TS7, Supra Distortion that does not really work well, a newly found muff fuzz, and a Arion Distortion that I used to use for 10+ years. I want a new one. I tested a bunch, and I have to say, I kinda liked the BOss DS-1. I had that 80's EVH sound to it. But, I am still looking.

I know some of you only use the amp, but I play at home, and can't always crank the amp. I have seen pro pedal boards online and they usually seem to have a TS, some fuzz pedal, and sometimes some other DS.

I use the channels of my two onstage amps for my main core overdrive. I have three different pedals also for boosting and seasoning.

• Members

I use a few....

I'm going through the following:

Chandler Tube Driver ---> Big Muff ---> MiG Boost ---> OCD ---> Fulldrive II ---> ToneBone Classic ---> ToneBone Hot British ---> SoulBender ---> Green Screamer

Looking at it now, that's a few! :cool: I mean, that's the stuff that's actually on the pedalboard! :D

• Members

When on stage I like to run my Deluxe Reverb on the verge of breaking up. Dig in it will crunch a slight bit, back off and it's clean. I use a Fulltone OCD to add a bit of dirt and volume boost, and a Barber Direct Drive for a more satruated distortion sound.

While I could easily see owning more to add a few extra flavors, all I really need for a gig is 2.

• Members

Boss SD-1

TS-9

MXR Distortion+

Little Big Muff

I love the SD-1 and TS-9. The Distortion+ is very amp and guitar specific. It sounds incredible through my 60s Gibson GA-5t, but I couldn't dial in a usable tone through the Peavey Classic 50 I used to own. :idk:

• Members

My pedal board currently has a Keeley "plus" modded Maxon OD-9, an Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer and a Fulltone 70 pedal. Also currently sitting on the board taking up space is the Boss Hyper Metal pedal that is borrowed from a friend. I havent ever actually used it live, but the point of borrowing it was to be able to get somewhat of a more modern high gain tone in the event I needed it(just never needed it, and it sounds like {censored} anyways)

• Members

Mostly the master volume on my amps. :love:

Although I do have a Russian Muff. I've been thinking about geting more distortion pedals to provide a variety of sounds, something totally different than what my amps provide. I don't really feel the need for OD pedals as my amps have plenty of that, although the TS9 is very nice.

• Members

I run my Classic 30 on the clean channel(I have never been able to get a sound I like from the OD channel on this amp). My dirt comes from:
TS9(808)>>>Crunchbox>>>>Sparkledrive set to clean. The sparkledrive is used to either Clean boost the signal or to "Attenuate" if I'm playing late at night. The TS and Crunchbox together is my main OD sound. They sound pretty good together. I also have a Hot British that is not on the board at the moment.

• Members

Depends on what I want, but available to me are:

A variety of amps that cover everything from sparkly chimey cleans to mid scooped thrash and detuned death!

Pedals I keep on hand include a Boss Xtortion (evil), and a EH double muff, which is a great creamy fuzz pedal that you can cascade one into another and is great for all those 60's psychadelic fuzz stuff.

I also use a fair bit of the distortions from my modellers/multi FX.

:thu:

• Members

I have a Keeley Vintage Rat and one of those new Danelectro Metal pedals. I've also had a DS-1 in the past, but I donated it to a friend who was learning guitar. It's a pretty solid distortion pedal, although it was lacking in the low end. I've always had mixed results with the Rat. I've only been able to get a good sound from it through an old Behringer amp I used to have.

I'm not playing live these days, and the Metal pedal actually gets some good tones if you turn the gain down to 1 or 2, so that's what I'm using. Once I get my Classic 30 running again, I'll stick to its dirt channel. I much prefer amp distortion to pedals.

• Members
The Distortion+ is very amp and guitar specific. It sounds incredible through my 60s Gibson GA-5t, but I couldn't dial in a usable tone through the Peavey Classic 50 I used to own.
:idk:

Most OD/Distortion pedals are like that. Finding a good pedal is really a matter of matching to your rig. If I had a different amp I would probably have different pedals.

• Members

I guess having a good amp, and using pedals to add different tones is a bit less expensive way to get a bunch of amps.

I also use an EQ pedal to get a a variety of sounds as well. I can get a good Metallica sound out of my TS7 on hot mode with the EQ. I was thinking about checking out a Jackhammer to see if I can get somewhat of a Marshall sound.

The OCD seems to be popular lately. I think I will have to check one of those out.

• Members

I use a Boss ME 50 then a Tube Works 901. I like to be able to add some drive to some clean patches there is less scrolling and the Real Tube 901 with a NOS AU7 tube is about the smoothest drive a ever heard. BTW I do use a DR Z air brake with my DRR for the ultimate power tube push.

Archived