Best amplifier EVER?

iansmitchell

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It sounded odd and swallowed tubes like a beast. I also had no idea what I had at the time.

I don't have a favorite yet - my friends VVT amp is pretty nice for the boutique and traditional tube tone. I'm more of a shred and kill guy and haven't found the right amp the produces great rhythm tones and holds water with leads yet.

It really all depends what sort of music one is playing and what defines as a good tone.

I'm not into metal so the Bassman suites me fine and covers most of the styles I want from it.

I have had many Marshalls, but even as a Brit I have to say I prefer Fender especially at lower volumes. I recently sold a 1980's JCM800 combo . Great cranked, but at low volumes it just couldn't match the Bassman sparkle and width of tone. Marshalls can tend to be too middy at lower volumes.

Boogies are OK, but always seem a bit sterile and don't have the Fender character for me.

Horses for courses really. As I said, It's all according to what you want from an amp.

• Members

Best for ME?

I require a lot of things. It needs to have channel switching, an effects loop that takes time-based pedals well, lush cleans, clear crunch-to-heavy crushing gain, lots of tweakability, to sound great at low volumes, and really importantly, switchable mains voltage. Right now, my DC-5 does most of all that except the switchable mains thing.

If I had all the money I'd need to get an amp I'd probably buy a custom job from Mesa or Orange. Or a Hiwatt Hi-Gain 50.

• Members

Very, very classy. What kind of speaker? I'm thinking about putting a P12Q into mine.

'60 Vox Silver AlNiCo. Very complimentary to the 5E3's tonal range. But I keep an eye out for a vintage P12Q for it from time to time, the Vox lacks a little of the rudeness the Jensens have.

• Members

I'm a tone freak, and I've tried as many amps as possible. There is one amp that thoroughly blows away all other amps that I've heard. And that is the Speedster Deluxe. That thing sounds so good, you could sit there and play nothing but a G chord all day and be happy. So, that would be my choice.

• Members

modded Marshall JMP.

A classy choice.

I'm not sure I've tried enough great amps to know for certain. I loved the Cornell 18watt clone when I tried it, but I also play through a Ceriatone 18watt trem, and I know that 18 watters are a bit limited, even though they have fabulous tone. If i were stuck to having one amp only then I'd probably try a Hughes and Kettner Alex Lifeson sig, simply because of the trememndous quality and flexibility.

I just don't have an ultimate amp.

• Members
A classy choice.

I'm not sure I've tried enough great amps to know for certain. I loved the Cornell 18watt clone when I tried it, but I also play through a Ceriatone 18watt trem, and I know that 18 watters are a bit limited, even though they have fabulous tone. If i were stuck to having one amp only then I'd probably try a Hughes and Kettner Alex Lifeson sig, simply because of the trememndous quality and flexibility.

I just don't have an ultimate amp.

the link to it is the post above yours :thu:

• Members

That one that Blues Saraceno's dad built for him:

120 watts and has 4 EL 34's, 2 drivers, a mid booster, 2X 5U4's rectifiers, 7 transformers including a Variac, and 6 pre-amp tubes, so that most of the sound actually comes from the power section which has huge filter banks as well as an adjustable feedback loop. It also has an adjustable bias which saves you from paying anyone to bias your tubes.

Archived