Made a big switch: .10s to .09s

RJpilot

• Members

I have been using 10s for about 7 years and an old set of 9s laying around so I strung up my Kramer with em. What a huge difference. Much less effort to play, and my hands don't get tired quite as fast. I know most folks on this forum think that going down in string guage is sinful and others will say your not a real man unless you use .13s or heavier. :cop:

They can go scratch. My playing is much more expressive and i don't have to try as hard. And I can last longer.

I tune to Standard and Eb, and play mostly Classic Rock, Metal, Shred, and Alternative. (mostly distorted):cool:

More power to the 9s!!!:wave::thu:

• Members

I think the confusion stems from the acoustic guitar world where heavier strings produce more volume. On an electric, any difference in tone from one gauge to another is adjustable and correctable. I use 9's for everything except jazz. The jazz box has 11's but there isn't any string bending on that guitar.

• Members

I just started using the GHS Santana Signature Series in 9.5's. I have used 9's for years, but in the current setting in which I'm playing I need absolute tuning stability. I'm really impressed so far. I can still bend effortlessly, yet they seem to be more stable. Time will tell, but that's my initial impression. The high E is a 9.5 and the low E is a 43. It's a happy medium.

• Members

It's okay, you don't need to feel ashamed.

IfYouNeedAGreatBigHug.jpg

J/K

Yeah, it's said that Billy Gibbons and BB King have been known to play with 8-38 sets. (Never know fer sher how much to believe on internet reads though)

But the obvious upside is that the thinner gauges do allow for more of your tone and nuances to come through. I was watching a ZZ Top DVD last week and thinking to myself, "there is no one that I've ever watched play where it is more true that "tone is in the fingers"". It was just amazing to listen to the different sounds he gets without stomping on any boxes. From cleans to brewtalz to harmonics to chugs.

My personal pref is pretty much all 10-46s. I only use 11s on my '72 Tele Deluxe RI and on one strat that's dropped a half a step.

But what I've found is I'm fine with the tone of a HB equipped guitar with 9-42, it's mostly on the SC Fender style guitars that I really feel I need to switch up to the 10-46, but then again, I play a lot of cleans. With more gain tossed in, the need to up the gauge is diminished.

I also find that to balance out the tone, if you're going thin gauge, add more nickel to warm it up, if you're going thicker, then drop the nickel to "nickel plated" or even stainless steel on a set of 11s.

• Members

I've always felt like there is a difference in tone that can't be adjusted out... There's a difference in the initial attack, the snappiness... I dunno how to describe it :)

I strung a guitar up with 8s once... That was fun. I could pretty easily bend the high e right to the bottom of the fretboard... Pretty silly stuff.

Anyway, I've used 10-52 for a long long time... But perhaps it's time to experiment with 9s again... This thread has inspired me :D

• Members

Always played 10s on my electrics up until about a yr ago. But then I was a gibson 24.75 scale guy for the most part. When I got my Strat, it was strung w/9s and I decided to keep them.

I have my Rogue tele strung w/10s tho, cause I use it mostly as a substitute for acoustic, clean settings, open chords, capo, chicken pickin. Thinkin about even goin up to 11s on that one.

My acoustic, I go between 13s for bluegrass and 12s for everything else.

• Members

i could never go back to 9's and 8's are out of the question.like jimi once told jeff beck when he used to use light gage strings,how can you play with those rubber bands?he later changed gage's and never looked back.plus light gage strings always brake on me.i use 11's on my les paul and 10's on my fenders.

• Members

11s are usually what I play.. On the lower strings it's easier for me to do fast passages with the right hand (I play a lot of metal). Maybe it's because I use real thick picks and they don't get along with slinky strings? I have more control over vibrato and bending with thicker strings too. Maybe I'm just weird like that :confused:

• Members

I used 10's exclusively for years on my LP- as that was the only guitar I played but in the last few months Ive diversified into using a Strat fitted with 9's and a Yamaha SG2000, which is also set for 9's.

I'll keep the 10's on my LP but I think I'll persevere with 9's on the Strat and Yamaha.

I use 12's on my acoustic but keep meaning to try out 13's.

• Members
I have been using 10s for about 7 years and an old set of 9s laying around so I strung up my Kramer with em. What a huge difference. Much less effort to play, and my hands don't get tired quite as fast. I know most folks on this forum think that going down in string guage is sinful and others will say your not a real man unless you use .13s or heavier.
:cop:
They can go scratch. My playing is much more expressive and i don't have to try as hard. And I can last longer.

I tune to Standard and Eb, and play mostly Classic Rock, Metal, Shred, and Alternative. (mostly distorted)
:cool:

More power to the 9s!!!
:wave::thu:

Umm, ok. Why'd you use 10s for so long if you didn't like them?

Archived