Anyobe else own a SG Claasic, I gota question

Mikeo

• Members

So I bought a SG classic from MF, the guitar I believe is only really available through MF and GC.

Any way I ordered the cherry one (only color really available) and it came in. The wood grain was streaky on one of the horns, the top on to be more specific and I didn't like the look of of it. It sounded fine. So I ordered a second one and was gonna compair the 2 guitars. The order got screwed up but eventually did come on.

Now the second SG guitar has the strange as all hell piece of mahogany and also looks like it's 2 pieces of wood, with the second piece running through not through the center of the guitar, but through the area near the volume and tone knobs. My last SG purchase as in 1980 a standard model that I still own.

My question is, does any one else have on of these guitars that looks like it's 2 peices of wood. The guitar(s) sound great with the P90's and some folks don't worry about looks, but I thought that this was really a crummy way of putting wood togeher.

I know it's a cheaper model, but it looks like you don't get too much guitar in the Gibson line up these days for 1000 bucks. I thought if it was 2 peice of wood they would have book macthed the wood down the middle guitar.

Like I said the 2nd one has a cool grain, and I might keep this one, but it's more.

One has to go back on Monday.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was debating between an SG Classic and the Les Paul Double Cutaway during the Guitar Center Labor Day Sale; I opted for the latter, but it was a tough choice!

Aside from that, I'd like to see a pic of the streaked horn (sounds interesting). The one and only that my local GC had a one piece body, but it would not surprise me if that was the exception to the rule. I agree that the seam should be in the center, but I have found that it is not often the case.

• Members

My question is, does any one else have on of these guitars that looks like it's 2 peices of wood. The guitar(s) sound great with the P90's and some folks don't worry about looks, but I thought that this was really a crummy way of putting wood togeher.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're not the only one to notice this 'little thing" they do. It does seem that you will pay more for a book matched top.

I believe all the really good, large pieces of wood are saved for their most expensive and labour intensive models.

I've sort of wondered myself why Gibson doesn't go the extra mile and try to join the two piece top down the center and not make it look like an out-house door. My 78 LP Standard w/cherry burst finish and 3 piece top is at least symetrical. The wings are flamey and the center is grainy.

It's my #1. All 9 1/2 tons of it, warts and all.

• Members

I was debating between an SG Classic and the Les Paul Double Cutaway during the Guitar Center Labor Day Sale; I opted for the latter, but it was a tough choice!

I was in a similar situation, with an SG Classic (looked sweet as hell) and SG Blue Mist Metallic. Ended up going home with "Blue" since the P90 pickups weren't for me and the Classic didn't come with a case.

sgbluemist800600yg8.jpg

The guitar looked really beautiful, though... Seemed to be one piece.

• Members

I ordered mine through MF, and it looks like I got a good one- two pieces and the grain matches nicely.

The Classic is less than a grand, so you know Gibson isn't putting its best wood or book matching into it. What it lacks in all of the fancy eye candy, it more than makes up for with its performace.

It's a player.

Here's the seam up close using a flash:

Classicbody.jpg

• Members

I ordered mine through MF, and it looks like I got a good one- two pieces and the grain matches nicely.

The Classic is less than a grand, so you know Gibson isn't putting its best wood or book matching into it. What it lacks in all of the fancy eye candy, it more than makes up for with its performace.

It's a
player

Here's the seam up close using a flash:

Classicbody.jpg

when was your guitar made?

cause that's very nice, nice hunk of wood

• Members

SGClassic5-3-06001.jpg

SGClassic5-3-06.jpg

Amusing pics, but they don't really show the seams, so hold on a second -

Okay, I'm back - miss me?

Well I went and pulled it out of my storage location and had to take it to the living room under sunlight to find the seam.

Luckily mine is well matched, but it is like you are saying on yours, the seam for the second piece basically runs up the guitar between two tone knobs. I was able to see the two pieces by looking at the but of the guitar. By looking at the top of the guitar I wasn't able to tell for sure because the longitudinal grains matched well.

Don't fret "two pieces" on a Gibson, that is more common that not, even on the more expensive models.

But check this one out for obvious grain patter of the two pieces. It's also mine but I don't care about its bookmatching, it sounds fantastic.

SGFaded001.jpg

But looks better under this lighting

SGKnobs002.jpg

• Members

P.S. When it comes to these guitars, I'm not a huge fan of the bridge tone. I prefer a P-90 tone from a bridge of a thicker guitar like an LP or LP Junior; however, I love :love::love: the middle and neck position tones from this guitar.

So you'll never find me in the market for an SG Jr P-90, but these are a very nice guitar. But the bridge tone would be great for lots of players, just not my sound.

{censored}, I just noticed my bridge pickup is up too high. :o

• Members

NICE!
:thu:

Yeah, it is nice and probably unusual for these guitars for it to be just one piece. But you see that pretty grain will all those unbroken swirl/wave patterns, well you see those swirls trap all the tone in the guitar and it can't get out. That's why you need multiple pieces with straight line grain so the tone will shoot straight out of the bugger. ;)

:lol:

• Members

I have a new SG Classic. The body is two piece, joined right down the center. The grain is matched very well, though, and you have to look really hard in the right lighting to see the seam.

That's exactly how mine looks. I would be surprised to find many (if any) that are truly one piece. On the other hand, based on my Explorer, I would NOT be surprised to find quite a few badly matched specimens out there.

• Members

That's exactly how mine looks. I would be surprised to find many (if any) that are truly one piece. On the other hand, based on my Explorer, I would NOT be surprised to find quite a few badly matched specimens out there.

Speaking of which, check out this one

Ex-ProGOW13.jpg

Usually when I buy online, I accept the grain pattern as one would from a pig in a poke, but on this one, I had to send it back.

The next one I got was better, but still far from perfect.

DSC01817.jpg

and these were the "celebrated" :rolleyes: limited edition Guitar of the Week editions.

Archived