Anyobe else own a SG Claasic, I gota question

Mikeo

• Members

That's why you need multiple pieces with straight line grain so the tone will shoot straight out of the bugger.
;)

:lol:

:D

We need a slaps the head and says "Doh!" icon.:lol:

I'd think you would be hard pressed to find a single or two piece Explorer...looking at the plan form and how it's made...that'd have to be a huge tree.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:D

We need a slaps the head and says "Doh!" icon.
:lol:

I'd think you would be hard pressed to find a single or two piece Explorer...looking at the plan form and how it's made...that'd have to be a
huge
tree.

No, but you could find better cosmetically matched pieces to use on guitars with see-through finishes (although i agree that tone and consistent density is more important than looks; my explorer is well-balanced and sounds great).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

ok here's a flow up

I order a SG classic in July, the wood is pieced together like crap

I order a second one to compare it to the first and hope of a better one

on the second order I get a LP studio

the Lp goes back

3rd order, I get another GS classic, the wood is pieced together like {censored}, cool grain but does not me my standards.

both guitars go back after talking to you guys in the hopes of better wood.

I get the new one today and it's the one I sent back, actually the first guitar I got in the first order.

Man am I pissed and was on the phone for 45 minutes with customer service.

I wrote down the serial numbers with each order, and thought the guitar looked familiar. Check it on on my pc in a letter I sent back with the guitars

maybe the 5 order is the charm, or I'm done, and will have no guitar with P90's.

F!@kin lazy ass pricks at the warehouse.

• Members

Here's mine, I've never really payed attention to the seams on it... it's a great guitar though

SG.jpg

EDIT:

Here's a better pic of the grain

10.jpg

that one looks like a single piece of wood too, nice grain.

I hoping for better this time around, cause the sound great:mad:

• Members

No they're not.

The #19 supposedly "one piece" SGs here has a place where my eye catches a joint.

On the front, right across the lower two knobs, then on the back, same place, it's darker.

That's what appears to be a seam.

My info on 3-piece is from something I watched (it was like "how it's made", but not that particular show) that said, all gibson standard production les paul backs and SGs bodies are made from 3 Hundras mahogany pieces, joined and cut by CNC machine to the proper shape. It didn't mention bookmatching, and some guitars seem to show a lack of it, whereas others seem to be exquisite examples of it. Could depend on price. :confused:

It's also been said (but never cited any reputable information) here and elsewhere, that gibson veneers its backs with african mahogany, for looks.

I don't think it's possible to do so on a beveled SG, but who knows. I certainly don't.

Anyway, what's it really matter? I've heard clips of a 32-piece doglas fir(I think, some kinda fir) telecaster, and it wasn't bad at all(search tdpri, you should be able to find it).

Tone is in something. But I don't know what. :wave:

• Members

The #19 supposedly "one piece" SGs here has a place where my eye catches a joint.

On the front, right across the lower two knobs, then on the back, same place, it's darker.

That's what appears to be a seam.

My info on 3-piece is from something I watched (it was like "how it's made", but not that particular show) that said, all gibson standard production les paul backs and SGs bodies are made from 3 Hundras mahogany pieces, joined and cut by CNC machine to the proper shape. It didn't mention bookmatching, and some guitars seem to show a lack of it, whereas others seem to be exquisite examples of it. Could depend on price.
:confused:

It's also been said (but never cited any reputable information) here and elsewhere, that gibson veneers its backs with african mahogany, for looks.

I don't think it's possible to do so on a beveled SG, but who knows. I certainly don't.

Anyway, what's it really matter? I've heard clips of a 32-piece doglas fir(I think, some kinda fir) telecaster, and it wasn't bad at all(search tdpri, you should be able to find it).

Tone is in something. But I don't know what.
:wave:

I thought I saw a seam in there, too. But on closer inspection, I really think it is a one-piece. Gibson definitely has a limited supply of wide mahogany boards suitable for use in production guitars. I have one of the GOTW Antique LP Deluxe Goldtops, the first run of which had one-piece backs. Mine is definitely one piece and the grain looks an awful lot like the SG posted above.

• Members

ok here's a flow up

I order a SG classic in July, the wood is pieced together like crap

I order a second one to compare it to the first and hope of a better one

on the second order I get a LP studio

the Lp goes back

3rd order, I get another GS classic, the wood is pieced together like {censored}, cool grain but does not me my standards.

both guitars go back
after talking to you guys
in the hopes of better wood.

I get the new one today and it's the one I sent back, actually the first guitar I got in the first order.

Man am I pissed and was on the phone for 45 minutes with customer service.

I wrote down the serial numbers with each order, and thought the guitar looked familiar. Check it on on my pc in a letter I sent back with the guitars

maybe the 5 order is the charm, or I'm done, and will have no guitar with P90's.

F!@kin lazy ass pricks at the warehouse.

Why not pick one it in person at a GC? Most GC's have about two or 3 in stock.

• Members

so what you folks are saying I gather is multi piece of wood randomly glued togther, mostly across the knobs might be the norm these days.

The last SG I bought was in 1980, I still have that one too.

I would not doubt a solid piece of mahogany is a hard find and limited in supply, They are probably saving it for top of the line stuff and not a 1000 dollar working mans axe.

Well I got another one coming and will see how that one is.

I like the playability of the SG, I thought about a LP jr faded, but that has a bit deeper tone, plus I hate the finish on the faded stuff.

As far as a SG with P90's, that's like my only choose, until the 2700 dollar Pete Townsend model. I also could grab another SG and drop Seymour Duncan Phat Cats on the slot.

Anyway thanks for the help, I'll keep ya all up dated

• Members

I think that multi-piece bodies are the norm for Gibson production models, unless stated otherwise in the specs.

I would suspect that for the lower-end models, 3 is the most common, followed by 2. I guess there might be a few 4 piece bodies floating around, and as we have seen on this thread, one-piece bodies still show up now and then.

• Members

The fact is the SG Classic is a Gibson for less than $1000. That is bargain basement for Gibson these days. Don't expect magnificent wood and opulent appointments................................

The SG Classic is a player - built well, plays great, short on the cork sniffing eye candy. It's not marketed as an "eye candy" Gibson. Expecting beautifiul wood and one piece bodies is way above the price of the Classic.

The Classic is aimed at the working musician who wants a kickass guitar.......

.....................and that is why I bought mine. I love my Classic!

• Members

The fact is the SG Classic is a Gibson for less than $1000. That is bargain basement for Gibson these days. Don't expect magnificent wood and opulent appointments................................

The SG Classic is a
player
- built well, plays great, short on the cork sniffing eye candy. It's not marketed as an "eye candy" Gibson. Expecting beautifiul wood and one piece bodies is
way
above the price of the Classic.

.....................and that is why I bought mine. I
love
my Classic!

I love mine as well! It's one of my top guitars.

The body wood on mine is beautifully matched. It has a streaky fretboard, which some people hate. I don't mind it at all: I like rosewood with a little character.

SGClassic.jpg

• Members

I love mine as well! It's one of my top guitars.

The body wood on mine is beautifully matched. It has a streaky fretboard, which some people hate. I don't mind it at all: I like rosewood with a little character.

SGClassic.jpg

My fret board has some streaks along the top but I don't care, either. The guitar just frikkin' rocks when I play it and that's all that counts for me with this guitar.

• Members

The SG Classic is a
player
- built well, plays great, short on the cork sniffing eye candy. It's not marketed as an "eye candy" Gibson. Expecting beautifiul wood and one piece bodies is
way
above the price of the Classic.

.....................and that is why I bought mine. I
love
my Classic!

And these are the exact reasons why I was shocked when I found out that the neck was bound. I ain't complaining though. :thu:

Archived