Who's playing and SG classic w/ the P90's

Mikeo

• Members

Great sounding guitar IMO. There are guitars with P-90s that sound better to me from the bridge position. The thinner SG body makes it a bit brighter and thinner, but the N+B and Neck positions are my favorite P-90 tones in those positions (semi & hollows aside) and prefer that tone over the LP P-90 tone for those positions. I do also have an LP Junior, and I'd rather have that body style for a bridge P-90 only guitar, but for a dual pickup P-90 guitar, I prefer the tones of the SG Classic over the LP Junior Special. The thinner body gives the tone more vibe. Another words, a rather lively tone.

Just try to scout out a good deal. MF tends to put them on sale from time to time.

• Members

Awesome guitar. The neck was too chunky for my taste, but the tone and everything about them is killer. A great bang for the buck guitar. IMO, the two best deals on Gibsons are the SG Classic and the VMLP.

Shouldn't the neck be really thin? I thought it is modeled after the special and those where really thin (according to PT)

• Members

Thanks boyz, placed the order yesterday and I se how I like it.

I hope I like the 50's style neck, as I remember it is a bit chubby.

I looked at the sg classic, the LP faded double cut and a LP single cut.

I love the Townsend Live at Leeds tone and think the GS classic will be less dark in tone as the body is thinner. My last SG purchase was a SG standard which I got in 1980 and still own..

I like the upper fret access on an SG and the weight. I thing the Stop tail piece which my standard has will be a welcome improvement over what was on the Special back in the late 60's.

Once again thanks.

I do need to get a case, afterwards and will do so after I deciede I love the guitar.

I will order a TKL

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/TKL-Premier-SG-Style-Guitar-Case-?sku=541299

, don't need to pay for a TKL case with the Gibson logo

• Members

Shouldn't the neck be really thin? I thought it is modeled after the special and those where really thin (according to PT)

No, they describe it as "rounded profile" or something like that, and it's quite beefy. I have a Standard and Classic, and if they aren't the same they're pretty damn close.

• Members

I have the 67 SG RI, which is pretty similar, only differences I can see are the pickguard, cream binding instead of white and Alnico II magnets instead of what ever are in the Classic..

Two words describe this guitar..

FUCKING RUDE..

No other way to say it.. through a cranked amp it makes me giggle uncontrollably, It makes me just want to keep wailing on powerchords.. Its not polite, its not subtle, its not 'nice'.. Its like waking up a after a big night out in a gutter with no pants, shaved eyebrows clutching a sticky dildo..

Buy one..

Now..

sg67.jpg

• Members

I have the 67 SG RI, which is pretty similar, only differences I can see are the pickguard, cream binding instead of white and Alnico II magnets instead of what ever are in the Classic..

Two words describe this guitar..

FUCKING RUDE..

No other way to say it.. through a cranked amp it makes me giggle uncontrollably, It makes me just want to keep wailing on powerchords.. Its not polite, its not subtle, its not 'nice'..
Its like waking up a after a big night out in a gutter with no pants, shaved eyebrows clutching a sticky dildo..

Buy one..

Now..

sg67.jpg

:eek:

• Members

Just put mine down about 3 minutes ago. Great decision to go ahead and buy it. I don't think that there is another Gibson in that price range that can touch it (besides the LPVM which I love).

Its so damn sexy that even my wife (who isn't overly fond of my guitars) was just amazed at how nice that sucker looks.

• Members

Just sold mine on Friday. Great guitar no doubt. I didn't really need the money (but it did make the wife happy that I got an expensive head and got rid of another piece of gear), I just never played mine and for my band, it didn't really get down and dirty enough for our style. No matter what I did tuning and gain or fuzz wise, always sounded like a classic rock guitar. I've sold two SGs this year, I guess I'm just a Les Paul and Flying V Type of guy.

• Members

Does this help?

SG.jpg

I love mine, the neck is a bit closer to the 50's style than the 60's so it is a bit thicker... it doesn't feel like an SG standard to me, the fit and finish are just as good, but something about it seems like a different guitar. Not in a bad way at all though, it actually feels better in my hands than a standard does.

Archived