zeronyne

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

it
is
offensive for you to suggest
is being oversensitive about the situation.

This is quite possibly the oddest thing I've read on the internet, and that's quite a competitive award.

It's offensive for me to suggest someone is being oversensitive? Well, maybe it's offensive for you to suggest I'm being offensive! :mad:

Of course I'm kidding to make a point.

Offense is in the mind of the beholder. Anyone can choose to take offense or not at just about anything, especially something as mild as what happened here.

What's essential is that someone break the cycle. Just let it go, stop the process of offenses at yourself. Brush the chips off your shoulder and don't assume the worst about what another person meant. Just let it go! Obsessing over something harms you much more than the person who offended you.

Having said that, I'm going to practice what I preach. I've said my last piece on this subject, others can have the last words about this.

I really hope that I was articulate enough to get my simple message of tolerance across, which is this: all things in perspective, let the little things go and don't be so quick to assume someone who's offended you meant to. Just let them know they did in a polite, unassuming manner and you may be surprised how much you like the result. :)

:wave:

Terry D.

• Members
No sir, I'm simply offering a suggestion as to how he (and all of us) should
behave.

As a society, why can't we talk to each other any more?

:wave:

Terry D.

I am with you Terry.

I think that about sums it up. How and why did it come to this?

Why is it in a world that has become so small, do people seem farther and farther away, harder and harder to comunicate with?

• Members
My name is Sxx Rxxx, and my Southwest number is xxxxxxxxx. As you can see if you check my flight history, I have flown Southwest exclusively when I have had the opportunity for years. I have always received exemplary service until tonight. In fact, I am so incensed that I am actually writing this on the flight.

One bad perception on your part and now you write a letter? Did you ever write a letter during the "... years. I have always received exemplary service"? I didn't think so.

Ever been on an Asian flight? A Muslim flight? An African flight? (Chicago to Orlando on Southwest qualifies you as some big traveller? :D ) I've travelled more than you, and they ALWAYS assume I don't know the local language, won't eat the food, have no understanding of other religions, and they always give me no choice but to adhere to their rules of custom and religion. Rarely have I been given any of the "sensitivity" that you feel you can demand.

I'd love to watch your reaction when you get on that Asian flight and they assume you speak Chinese. :D Will you be offended? Nope. You're just looking to be offended and you found it. And, since you only give white people one chance, I'll be on your sh!tlist forever. :p

• Members
Oh, don't worry Prog; as an equal opportunity asshole, you're always on everyone's {censored}list. Hey, wanna play "Owner of a Lonely Heart"?

Ah, a personal attack. It figures.

"We are the world ...., we are the children ..." :D

• Members
Oh, don't worry Prog; as an equal opportunity asshole, you're always on everyone's {censored}list. Hey, wanna play "Owner of a Lonely Heart"?

... just for the record.

Bythe way, am I supposed to know who you are? :idk:

• Members

This, in turn, will make that flight attendant upset and perhaps more "racist" if in fact there was every any racism present in her initial act.

Net result: more PC BS for everyone to deal with and more irritated / frightened people.

That's pretty close to what I was saying at the beginning of this thread. People feel they have to walk on eggshells for fear of offending someone. Saying the wrong thing. Saying the right thing but having it perceived as the wrong thing -which, according to the last sensitivity video I watched, is the same as saying the wrong thing since perception means everything and intent means nothing.

What it comes down to is fear of a lawsuit, and that makes everyone paranoid. You got it right, Mr. Knobs. :thu:

• Members

I read the first two pages and then skimmed over the others. Zeronyne, I personally think that your letter was very well written and I agree that the flight attendant was out of place. Being associated with Lockheed Martin, I am sure that you are aware of the diverse workforce that the US Government employs.

One advantage that you do have is that you are of an ethnicity that is considered to be minority; you have a voice that can gain recognition when wronged. Try being a Caucasian in minority at your workplace experiencing blatant reverse discrimination... you get told flat out that your EEO will never fly. We had an African-American upper management boss that was blatant in the name calling of white people. He used to pull my immediate boss aside and say things like, "Now, look you little white motherf__ker..." He called me a worthless pimple on a butt the first day I met him. There were several other white people that he targeted and spewed his blatant racial remarks to, but all were told that filing an EEO would be laughed out of the system for a white person trying to file against a person of minority.

With no support from the local upper management, we had to seek other means of addressing this fool; he was forced to retire after the Inspection Service was called in to investigate his Toxic Management demeanor. He had the history of physically attacking two other employees at another facility before being extradited to our facility as a means of punishment for him. I don't base my opinion of an entire race upon the idiocy of one asshole in the crowd; I also don't like living in the past. What my forefathers did to anyone else's forefathers should not be my debt, and unfortunately, the white race has paid the price and suffered the penalties for generations well beyond that of the initial perpetrators of the invasion of human rights.

I live in America and English is my native tongue. When I hear "American", I do not automatically think that someone is going to be "white", although I do hope that they speak English well enough for me to communicate with them. That's not a dis, it's a fact. I would not expect to go to another country somewhere outside of my own without learning their language so that I could communicate. When I see a white man/woman in America, I do not automatically think that they speak English. We have many immigrants from all over the world that come to America to find refuge from countries that are under developed or in ruins. I've met MANY Russians, or immigrants from other places in the Soviet Union, that are "white" but do not speak much more than bits and pieces of English. French, Australian, Italian, European, and others also live here.... EVEN IN THE MIDWEST (for those that think we have cows walking down our highways :rolleyes: )

There's still reverse racism that goes on in my workplace, but none so blatant as that of the man removed for Toxic Management. While the racism existed at it's worst; it was a living hell every day on the job. I can sympathize with people of minorities that truly suffer discrimination on a day to day basis.

Your letter to Southwest was very commanding in the way you laid out your plan to bring awareness of your experience to fellow travelers within a MAJOR corporation. Southwest will undoubtedly respond quickly to your concerns and the flight attendant will possibly lose her job as a result of ignorance or, at minimum, suffer a demotion or temporary suspension. You were offended; she will experience far more severe consequences. Your pen waves a mighty powerful sword; you WILL be accommodated without question. Sometimes, we have to look inside to make sure that we're not the ones seeking a fight. If her comments were deliberate insults; then she deserves what comes to her as a result of your letter. If her comments were unbiased and unintentionally offended you; it may be a hard lesson learned for her.

I am at Miami's International Airport, coming back from Dominican Republic to Mexico.

Several people, once they see me, start speaking spanish to me, which is normal here in Miami.

... but then I have either answered them in French or in portuguese :D ... and pretend I do not get what they are saying.

This can be fun when you are bored after a whole day in airports.

After the whole discussion I can understand why our 0-9 friend was upset. It would be nice to have that people well-trained because just like our friend, some people can feel uncomfortable. For some others, it is fun if you have a thick skin and are in the mood.

• Members
... and when I am asked "do you speak English" I say "NO". It is funny to count the seconds it takes them to get that I actually understood their question
:D
... some of them do never get the joke, btw, so I have to tell them
:rolleyes:

:D

My best pickup line ever was when the nice girl in my poetry class said to me "Sprechen ze Deutsch?" and I said "Nein".

• Members

One of the funnier things was when I was in Toledo, Spain. In one of the museums, there were several Chinese suits of armor next to the otherwise all Spanish suits of armor and everything else. Two Spanish girls were looking at this, and one said to the other in Spanish, "I don't know why this Chinese display is here." Imagine their surprise when this Chinese guy - me - standing in back of them says in Spanish, "Yes, that IS a little strange." :D That got quite a surprised reaction, followed by laughing. We went through the rest of the exhibit together.

• Members
... just to keep in subject... I have just came from Miami to Mexico.

I was sitting in an exit row.

No questions asked
at all.

With all the bull{censored} immigration rhetoric going around in this country, they were probably just happy to see a Mexican leaving the country! :badump::p

Archived