If I piece together an american strat, can I sell it as one?

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Members

You should, in the interests of full disclosure, tell what went into it. If you took the neck from one 2008 Strat and put it together with the body from another 2008 Strat, that's one thing. It's still technically a Fender Strat, but you should tell the prospective buyer, just in case.

If you put together using Allparts bits, or built it all yourself, then that is not a Fender Strat, and it would be illegal and unethical for you to say it is.

• Members

if you were to buy an 08 american body, an 08 american neck, the 08 standard pickup's, tuners, pick guard, pots, etc, then yes you can, but you do have to say you put it together, and you need to mention everything you put it together with. If you buy all of that stuff separately you'll end up spending much more than you would if you bought a new american strat or tele.

• Members

my sunburst/rosewood USA Standard from 95 now has a 2003 USA deluxe body, 2002 Fender USA maple neck, new locking schaller tuners, a set of texas specials, new fender pickguard etc etc..the only thing left from original now is the bridge/wang bar and the pickup selector switch. What do I call that? :D

• Moderators

Say I built a strat (or tele) to 2008 american specs. Can I sell it as a 2008 american made strat? Or is that illegal?

I'd say yes, but not to the specs, you'd have to have all Fender parts as used on the model you are building, and in contrast to what the other above say...if you bought a 200b Fender Strat, deconstructed it to it's component parts and then put it back together, it's still a fender 2008 Strat

• Members

Use to be practice that was done from time to time for certain players. A neck would be picked over the one on the Strat chosen. And the dealer would change the necks.

Since E-Bay and computers have made serials much more reliable you don't see this. But when Fender dealers were small Ma-Pa shops? They were much more likely to go out of their way to make a sale? And this did happen. Not all the time, but it happened.

Personally I would explain anything I do to a guitar. And with Fenders serials being what they are today, I think you have to. A serial could be ran now and the Strat will come back as say a Rosewood Board 08. If you put a Maple neck on? You may have a problem?

• Members

yeah i got {censored} on for this once. i had a hw1 body and neck..... put it together and was told "there's no way that cna be a hwy1 strat. the neck and body were'nt put together by a fender employee." even though it had the exact same specs as a hwy1. just traded her though, and yes i told the person i traded it to everything about the history of the guitar!!!!!!! here's a pic of her for the hell of it.

zzzzczczczczc.jpg

• Members
You can do whatever you want, but it would certainly make you an a-hole if you tried to pass it off as a Fender production one rather than one that you put together from parts.
:D

Correct. Just make sure that you describe the guitar accurately and completely. Don't try to "pass it off" as anything.

Archived