Fender American Strat - Maple vs. Rosewood

toastman

• Members

I like the feel of maple personally, but I would not rule out a guitar because it has rosewood.

play both and see what you prefer. This will turn into a multipage thread arguing tonal difference (or the lack thereof) between the two. So sit back and enjoy!

:snax:

• Members

Maple.

Why? Because I love it on strats and teles. It is a "hard" sound, and I can see the strings better against it so I can play better.

However. Rosewood is the neck on my favorite guitar ever (PRS SE Santana II).

So: either one is good. Go with your ears and your gut.

• Members

I love the way maple looks on a Strat, but the finish on a lot of maple necks is too sticky for me. I have a MIM with maple that does not, which is why I bought it. Every other guitar I own has a rosewood board because I like they way they play better.

• Members

I like 'em both. I have a '74, maple board, LOVE it. I have an srv sig strat, not rosewood, not maple, pao ferro (sort of like rosewood), love it too. I think the maple is a little more slippery. My two bullets have rosewood, like them, but not as much as the other two.

You really can't go wrong. I'd say if in doubt, go with a maple board.

• Members

I have an srv sig strat, (with) pao ferro (sort of like rosewood)

Me too! I love how the pao ferro darkens over time, especially where you play most. I think it looks great!

So to elaborate on my initial post I have strats with maple, rosewood, and pao ferro and love 'em all.

• Members

Don't choose based on the inherent sound qualities of the two woods. Unplugged, my 08 Am standard w/rosewood is brighter and snappier than my 07 Am deluxe w/maple- even after installing new stamped steel saddles on the 07.

I don't prefer one over the other, as far as feel. Both are great. :thu:

• Members

Maple.

For most finishes, I like the look of a strat or tele with maple.

Look at it this way. You can go with rosewood or maple now and in the near future get another strat with the other neck. It just gives you a reason to start planning your "next" guitar purchase.

• Members

I perfer the sonic warmth of rosewood but love the look of maple. For me sound trumps looks. Rosewood.

I'm pretty much on the same page. I can either way on the looks category. To me maple just looks more vintage. Rosewood looks more uptown. I think a strat benefits a bit from the warmth of a little rosie. I've got like 10 of the buggers and they include maple, rosewood and ebony.

A bigger consideration for tone is the body wood. There I'm mostly an alder fan. Although the ash is cool for when you want that extra definition to the tone.

Archived