NGD: its not gumby, its a Moderne!

curseoftruth

• Members

Been looking for years for one of these. No way I could ever afford the Gibson version (they made around 250 in 1982 and they go for around $5K these days). Epiphone has had two versions -- they had the the Vintage series in 2000 that were sold exclusively through MARS (production is said to be 500 units) and then a cheapo bolt on version as a part of the E-Series in 2002.

Ever since I ran across these Epiphone version at a MARS in 2000, I wanted one. Couldn't afford them at the time. They came in Natural Korina and in Black and Gold. Recently with the popularity of Guitar Hero, they are getting noticed again.

I found one locally on CL in Korina but I was the second person to respond to the ad and unfortunately, the first person bought it. I them decided to search after losing out on that one a few months ago and ran across this one.

Let me tell you, it is one cool guitar to play and it sounds just super heavy! The original owner (super nice and really cool guy who I now consider a distant friend through the Internet, yeah, we've talked that much) bought this as a floor model at a MARS in Detroit in 2000. It has some dings and chips in it already due to the floor model status. These have tuning issues (probably why they never mass produced them) so he put on a Gibson fine tune bridge and it works great. He included the original Epi bridge with it. He replaced the bridge pup with a EDIT: SD of some type but like a true gearhead, kept the original and send that along with the package. It will be going back in this week. Has a grounding issue with it as well, only on the bridge selection so I should be able to fix that with no issue when I put the original pup back in. There is a chip out of the very top of the nut above the E-String but that doesn't affect anything. I'll put a bone nut on it eventually.

The autograph is from Dee Snider of Twisted Sister. Haven't decided if I'm going to leave it or not. Gives it some character and I think Dee is a pretty rad dude, so we'll see. Here are the pix he took before shipping, I'll take my own later when I get a chance. It will be going into my playing rotation -- this will be gigged often, nice companion to my Flying V and Les Paul. Plays comfortably sitting down as well and just feels incredible:

P1000706.jpg

P1000707.jpg

P1000708.jpg

P1000709.jpg

P1000710.jpg

P1000712.jpg

P1000719.jpg

P1000720.jpg

P1000722.jpg

• Members

As unusual as it looks, I rather like it........ way cooler than a Flyin'V, for example, for sure
:cool:

That's what i wanted to say !

Beats a " V " any day of the week/month/year !!!

I even like the look of that bridge PU !

Looks like a Duncan Invader ! (...or a copy of it)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/progressive/sh8_invader/

(super bloody hot, makes a Duncan JB sound like an under powered vintage S/C)

My Tele-Lust comes stock with one :

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM03/Content/Fender/PR/Esquire-Custom-GT-lg.jpg

Again, HNGD to you mate !!!

Now lets see some pic's of you rocking this thing on stage !!! :evil:

• Members

I used to have the Korina finished one - bought it at MARS for $350 with a Danelectro Nifty 50 amp! (package price)

My plan was to buy all three Epiphone Korina models (V and Explorer) to go with it - but never did. The guitar never gelled with me either, and the crazy string angle through the nut was a terrible design as well. Ended up selling it for $400 to a guy who planned on getting all three.

Had I any insight, I would have hung on to it for collector's value - but I didn't feel it would appreciate, couldn't find a case to fit it, and again, mine just wasn't anything special in the way it played or sounded.

I still think they look cool though - certainly don't see many around... and if I came across one in mint condition for 4 bills, I would have to think hard about buying it. ;)

• Members

OH Cool!! A Moderne!! :thu: I've always like Modernes, but did not know about the Epiphone version, until several months ago. As others have mentioned, yours has a Seymor Duncan Invader in the bridge. If you want some more high end, you migh want to try the original pickup in it. Invaders are high output, but having used one some years back, I thought it was a bit heavily biased in the low-midrange department soundwise.

• Members

I used to have the Korina finished one - bought it at MARS for $350 with a Danelectro Nifty 50 amp! (package price)

My plan was to buy all three Epiphone Korina models (V and Explorer) to go with it - but never did. The guitar never gelled with me either, and the crazy string angle through the nut was a terrible design as well. Ended up selling it for $400 to a guy who planned on getting all three.

Had I any insight, I would have hung on to it for collector's value - but I didn't feel it would appreciate, couldn't find a case to fit it, and again, mine just wasn't anything special in the way it played or sounded.

I still think they look cool though - certainly don't see many around... and if I came across one in mint condition for 4 bills, I would have to think hard about buying it.
;)

About what I paid for it. The ones I've seen on eBay have been going for between $600 and $1000 depending on the condition which is more than I wanted to pay. It certainly is an Epi that is appreciating. I've sold all of my rare guitars so its cool to have something unique again and one I've wanted for almost 9 years now.

Archived