California Earthquake!

• Members

Epicenter was in a recently developed area... the "earthquake construction codes" have been enforced for a long time... and they seemed to work well.

Felt the jolt and rolling here in SD very clearly.

Didn't see any stray animals running away before the quake.

CNN, FOX News, MSNBC are heavily covering this.

Happily for us, sadly for them... there's very little damage let alone carnage to report.

Also sad, many people will continue to be complacent about quakes because of this... thinking when the big one comes... it won't be so bad.

Big mistake.

An anticipated 8.0 is nearly 1000 times more powerful than this.

Good to hear everyone's fine!

M

Everyone worries about "the big one" on the San Andreas, and we're definitely overdue. One of my good friends is a geologist with a PhD, and she does a lot of research on that fault... if it cuts loose on the southern half, San Bernardino is in a world of poop, although LA will probably be better off due to the geographic distance. However, if a 7 cuts loose on the Newport / Inglewood fault, downtown LA will probably suffer more extensive damage than an 8 will create there, due to the proximity.

• Members

Speaking of poop, here's a funny story... :facepalm:

So I have this little dog, half Pekinese half Toy Poodle [what they call a Peek-a-Poo] and she is very skittish when she has to poo...

It's very funny because more often than not, when I take her out to do her business she inevetably cops a squat right over a sprinkler head and...well she's been goosed plenty of times. Or she'll be facing the sprinkler and when she's right in the middle, the sprinkler comes on and gets her in the face...

I swear I have no control over the sprinklers in our apartment complex...

Well today, my wife was taking her out and she was right in the middle of doing what she needed to do and...WHAM!!! EARTHQUAKE!!! My wife was busting up laughing at the poor dog's luck cuz that dog took off running for her life.

I think that dog might never crap again! :facepalm:

-Mike

• Members

Epicenter was in a recently developed area... the "earthquake construction codes" have been enforced for a long time... and they seemed to work well.

Felt the jolt and rolling here in SD very clearly.

Didn't see any stray animals running away before the quake.

CNN, FOX News, MSNBC are heavily covering this.

Happily for us, sadly for them... there's very little damage let alone carnage to report.

Also sad, many people will continue to be complacent about quakes because of this... thinking when the big one comes... it won't be so bad.

Big mistake.

An anticipated 8.0 is nearly 1000 times more powerful than this.

Good to hear everyone's fine!

M

:freak:

If/when it ever happens I just hope FEMA and every other emergency org is going to be as ready as is humanly possible. Glad to hear people seem to be fine from this one, though. :cool: I normally don't post in this forum but saw the topic on the main forum link and was kinda' worried. :D Peace out. :)

Wow, I used to live right there in Chino Hills. Just left message from my carpool buddy from Yamaha that lived down the street.

I have not spoken to John or George, but my kids are in Chino and they got through it fine - I'm sure (or at least hope) they're OK too.

• Members

If/when it ever happens I just hope FEMA and every other emergency org is going to be as ready as is humanly possible.

Actually I just spent a couple of days last week doing sound for a FEMA meeting. Unfortunately I don't expect these people are going to be much more help next time than they were in New Orleans.

• Members

My last quake I was 2 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake. Ass-kicker, that one. My heart goes out to you guys. Glad it was not more severe.

BTW, FEMA was there with a checkbook within 48 hours. Democrats were running things back then.

Archived