GC loses another customer

F.D. Neighbors

• Members

I have no prob giving them Mine. I get discounts in the mail frequently,even $25 gift cards, invites to afterhours crap there. ( where I got a bag of free strings and all kinds of crap )

Exactly!

Why avoid their mailing list? I love getting their stuff. Especially all the discount and etc. If you shop there why not try to get discount and if it take give them your address who cares?

I ONLY recieve their stuff in my mail box and this has been like this for the whole time I have purchased stuff from them. Since they are the only music related mail I get I know they have not "sold" my info.

I can understand not wanting to give your {censored} out to a telemarketer but who give a flying {censored} about guitar center? It could only be a good thing to get one of their discount offers.

How ever do what you like buy they didnt loose your business. You decided to take it from them.

(Disclaimer:You have every right to do what you feel like you have to and this is just my opinion.)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i can only imagine the sheer horror of a diabolical organization like GC having my mailing address.

The problem isn't that they have it. The problem is that once they have it, it's no longer really your information; it's theirs, and they can do what they want with it. That said, I'm on their mailing list, but they can pound sand if they feel the need to refuse a sale because I don't want to give them my information. However, they know me by name at my local GC, so it's a non-issue.:cop:

• Members

The problem isn't that they have it. The problem is that once they have it, it's no longer really your information; it's theirs, and they can do what they want with it.

technically, they have to provide access to a privacy policy. it's a legal requirement that states intent of use and limitations of distribution. so, they can do whatever they want within the stated bounds of their privacy policy.

you're also legally guaranteed the right to have your information removed from their system at any time, for any reason and they have to comply.

consumer privacy is a pretty huge deal these days and, really, i feel alot better (read: couldn't possibly care less) about some merchant having my address than any number of creditors/bankers/lease holders/whoevers having my social security number - which gives them access to way more than a mailing address.

• Members

marketing is a disgusting cesspool that lowers the status of individuals into bite sized bits of data that are analyzed and then spat back out as a "demographic" sold to any company that wants them to use as tool to lubricate you up to have products you most likely don't need shoved up you rectum....In fact they lubricate you so well you don't even feel it going in.....and in the end you say..."wow I reeaaally needed that product shoved up my rectum...I don't know how I was living without it before..."

• Members

Dude,

Best Buy sells strings,

so does Target

usually 9's or 10's but I've even seen Wal-Mart sell Gibson strings ( in the funny lookin yellow package)

but still

there are other options.

I usually thought the # thing was to pull up the customers database to ring you a receipt. I could be wrong.

• Members

GC and Radio Shack are the only two stores I give my real info too. I figure since I frequent there so, I might as well benefit from their coupon mailers. All other stores get the info of the last person who pissed me off.

• Members

Just buy your strings online. That way you don't have to give out your name and address.
:facepalm:

lol...

I know one of my relatives buys string and other stuff online because he dont want to give his info to guitar center or any other music store.

One day I asked him why he would give his info to some online place that will probably go out of business soon and then sale your info to someone.

He said "uh, I never thought about it like that. I guess because it is my address and it is different?"

People some times....

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

marketing is a disgusting cesspool that lowers the status of individuals into bite sized bits of data that are analyzed and then spat back out as a "demographic" sold to any company that wants them to use as tool to lubricate you up to have products you most likely don't need shoved up you rectum....In fact they lubricate you so well you don't even feel it going in.....and in the end you say..."wow I reeaaally needed that product shoved up my rectum...I don't know how I was living without it before..."

nearly everything I've ever had shoved up my rectum was with my express consent

and was never done by marketing departments or corporations

maybe you're just dating the wrong people? :confused:

• Members

To each their own.It is for their mailing list but it also keeps track of everything you buy.When I went in there to buy some guitar and speaker cables I ended up buying a pedal or two so I ask the kid if I can get no interest financing by putting it on my GC CC,he says "I can't do that" so this guy Todd ,who always makes sure I'm taken care of,turns around and tells him to look up my purchase history while running my card through.The kid does and Todd says "you see that? give him the no interest rate.Sorry about that Bob he's new and he didn't know.If it ever happens again let me know."

Point is it can benefit you as long as you dont mind throwing mailers in the trash every now and again.

This kind of stuff is legit. I have my name and address on file there and I get discounts every now and again...when I went to buy my bro's acoustic, I got $50 off because "Tyler" saw how "loyal" a customer I'd been. He's now my go-to guy...probably likes me because of the commission, but still, it's mutually beneficial.

• Members

nearly everything I've ever had shoved up my rectum was with my express consent

and was never done by marketing departments or corporations

maybe you're just dating the wrong people?
:confused:

LOL.....maybe.....LOL........

They keep telling me it "costs more" to do that type of thing.....It's tough to haggle with people like that....

• Members

My local store has the same system in the UK.

You don't have to give it though, but when you have done it once they can add everything you buy to the list.

I now get 10% discount as I have bought so much and also they have a record of all I have bought so I never need to bring receipt if I have a problem.

• Members

I've been to GC 3 times in my life and scored mega every time! Any gear I buy there is about 40% of what it would have cost me in the UK... So long as I send all the paperwork home by mail, I'm OK. That way customs are never the wiser - not that I have ever been asked.

When I go to the states now, GC is DEFINATELY on my visit list! Next time I'm going, I hope they got some USA jacksons in stock ;)

• Members

I have no problem with it and give them my info for the discounts and crap.

However, it should be the customer's choice to give up the info. I would've had to buy the strings anyway as my local shop gets 23.95 for a pack of Elixir's :facepalm:

I'm 1 1/2 hours from closest GC though, so I have to stock up when I get that way.

• Members

Actually I like Guitar Center. And I have bought most if not all of my gear from them except for my OCD pedal. I just bought an 08 Traditional from them too. Hasn't come in yet though. I like getting their stuff in the mail, and I like how they keep track of what you have purchased so you can get deals. Sam Ash does the same thing, they have a list of what I bought too. Although I have only bought picks and strings there.

• Members

Oh don't worry about the chip the government already has alien technology that tracks your brain waves as far as I know Guitar Center can't do that yet but if you wear a tin foil hat they can't find you.:poke:
:freak:

I thought it was an armadillo hat.

• Members

I propose we all vote on a fake name and address and everyone uses it each time we go to guitar center, eventually they'd have to notice something was up. i'm really high so this sounds like an excellent idea!@!1

PS, OT but what is the appeal of those coated elixir strings? i was given a couple sets of them as a promotion years ago when i was playing bass and the damn things frayed out on me in days like this crusty ass wool sweater my granny gave me for christmas.

Archived