The best compliment you can give a guitar player?

BlackHatHunter

• Members

I was discussing the Dwight Yoakam Austin City Limits show on another board, and the topic turned to Pete Anderson. This other poster volunteered that

"He's got a ton of chops, but even more taste."

I thought to myself that this is about as good a compliment as you can pay a guitar player... can you top that? :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The best compliment I ever got was recently. I was talking about how, even though it's rather silly, I need to have a guitar that I love the look of. The other player offered, "With the way you play, you don't need to worry about how your guitar looks."

Hey...wait, maybe it was an insult. :(

• Members

"Your hair is starting to feather nicely"

but seriously, a drummer once told me that my solo melted his face. At first I didn't know if that was an insult or compliment so I checked it out with a couple other young guys and they said that was about the highest praise someone can give. So, I felt good about myself for a day.

• Members

my wife smiling ear-to-ear as I played her Skynyrd's "Simple Man" on the acoustic on Mother's Day

It's one of her favorite songs in the world, so I learned it in secret and broke it out for her on Sunday, much to her surprise.

Did you sing Tony?

• Members

i believe that when you look up from your solo (since i am not so good to improvise without watching my fingers) that seeing big smiles is the ticket. anyone who comes up to me later and says something generally is inspired by my tone ... which generally is pretty good.

my playing ... not so good. so any recognition like ... hey i was in key, in time, and played something that got emotional is cool.

i play for myself and am my own worst critic.

• Members

+1 for being a tasteful player. Anyone can learn to play a lot of notes quickly in any given space of time, but it's the silence that accentuates the notes played and lets people know that you meant to do what you just did. For a good example of such a player, see David Gilmour.

• Members

The best I got was from my former lead singer(awesome guy by the way), he said I am one of the best players he met.

The other one wasnt as good although it was a compliment:

I was playing a shred lick for my drummer and he said "Here's the next Michael Angelo Batio".

I was insulted so...:cry:

Archived