The best compliment you can give a guitar player?

BlackHatHunter

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Best compliment I ever received as a guitar player:

"When I walked into the club and couldn't see the stage, I heard the tune you were playing and thought there were two guitar players in the band. I was shocked to see that you are a three-piece band."

Awesome :thu:

• Members

Some good ones:

I was playing in a band whose schtick was complicated fast hard rock

verging on metal, mostly instrumental and we were playing at 7th street

entry in the First Avenue Club in Minneapolis. We were soundchecking

and we did one track full of changes and snarling sound and fury and

then we quickly jumped into a cover of "Brand New Cadillac" by the Clash

with me on vocals. The song stops and we start putting our stuff away..

Billy Batson of the Mighty Mofos (a Minneapolis garage punk institution)

was doing sound at 7th Street Entry that night and comes running up

and said "holy {censored}, that was great! Do you guys do that instead of

beating off?" We all crack up. He apparently really dug it for some

reason.

At a gig I had a guy come up to me and said "I love the way you

play the guitar mate, I used to play guitar too until I accidentally

smashed my hands with a hammer at work...." (um, okay!)

Best compliments from anyone unsolicited?

I received two e-mails from "names", both I researched and appeared

to be legitimate in both cases. The first said he'd been spinning my

mp3s and digging them and just wanted to say hello and thanks. I

was stunned. We had a couple nice exchanges about gear after

that. The second was out of the blue too and had played on a

number of records I actually own and he said "thank god someone

GETS it...." which to me was amazing...

Sort of some vindication for slugging away for years without a lot of

real notice...

I got some kudos from various places at my myspace that I've put up

as quotes too.

Recently when doing an ambient looping gig someone said I sounded like

a "one man Pink Floyd" which was kind of cool.

• Members

"Gee, that relic looks really authentic."

Hahaha.......

it's scary to comment on players' guitars.......it might actually be off limits

this kid showed my friend his new ibanez guitar, which was plain black, and my friend jokingly asked him if he was going to put any stickers or anything on it....

the kid took it seriously, and got all defensive.....

ha, it made me laugh.....at least, since I know who the kid is.....

but with compliments, any compliment from another guitar player/musician is a compliment to me..........I don't really acknowledge non-musician comments as compliments.....

• Members

After finishing a set with my band, I was packing up my gear and dragging it offstage when some dude who was standing on my side of the stage for the whole set walked up to me (smiling with beer in hand) and said..."yeah, here's the guy with the killer guitar and monster hands."

Another compliment (I call it a compliment anyway) was getting free tix to G3. Steve vai was doing a autograph signing at a local music shop and the line was a block long. When you got inside the store there was a contest goin on where you play for 20 sec.'s and if you got a good response from the crowd you get a pair of tix to the concert that night. A friend and I signed up thinking nothing of it. right before we got to Vai they announced the winners and both mine, my friends, and some other dude's name were called out of 10 contestants. I was so happy for winning free tix I almost forgot to get an autograph from Steve Vai LOL.

• Members

I had a salesdrone at GC walk by as I was playing and stopped to listen to me play and said, That sounds really good. Wasn't an attempt at making a sale either, cause he walked away after that. I don't know if a salesdrone at guitar center's opinion has any value though, but i did see him jamming on a guitar later that day and he definitely knew what he was doing.

• Members

I had a salesdrone at GC walk by as I was playing and stopped to listen to me play and said, That sounds really good. Wasn't an attempt at making a sale either, cause he walked away after that. I don't know if a salesdrone at guitar center's opinion has any value though, but i did see him jamming on a guitar later that day and he definitely knew what he was doing.

That has happened to me, and one time there was this kid just looking at guitars with his dad, the dad heard my playing and asked who taught me how to play, when I told him I was self taught, he looked at his son and said "maybe you could be as good as him, one day". I was 15 or 16, and it was like winning the lottery.

• Members

I actually prefer constructive criticism to compliments because it shows they know about music, were paying attention and cared enough to let me know their true feelings. It's much better than the compulsory "good job" butt kissing kinda stuff where you can never really tell if they are being sincere.

• Members

I think the best compliment, and the rarest perhaps, is when someone tells you that you sound unique, not like everyone else. With so many guitarists out there today,a s well as past players, it's hard to not sound like everyone else. Have you ever noticed that all the players who make the "best" guitarists lists are the ones who have an individual, unique sound?

Archived