The best compliment you can give a guitar player?

BlackHatHunter

• Members

Best compliment I ever received as a guitar player:

"When I walked into the club and couldn't see the stage, I heard the tune you were playing and thought there were two guitar players in the band. I was shocked to see that you are a three-piece band."

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i believe that when you look up from your solo (since i am not so good to improvise without watching my fingers) that seeing big smiles is the ticket. anyone who comes up to me later and says something generally is inspired by my tone ... which generally is pretty good.

my playing ... not so good. so any recognition like ... hey i was in key, in time, and played something that got emotional is cool.

i play for myself and am my own worst critic.

+1

• Members

I really like when people tell me that they like my songwriting.

"You write some great songs, man."

I'm usually beaming when someone tells me that.

Or, when someone tells me I sound like my influences but they don't know what my influences are.

• Members

Done a lunchtime blues session in a pub a few years back.

Woman comes up to me and says I sound like Gary moore.

I was pretty fuckin' chuffed.

:thu:

Being compared to someone whose playing you like is really cool. One time a long long time ago a local scene fixture (ran sound where I was playing, in bands, now also has a recording studio and has recorded all the local punk/indie bigwigs like Less Than Jake and Hot Water Music and Against Me!) said "you really got those Johnny Thunders licks down man."

The funny thing was, at the time, though I had heard Johnny Thunders licks on recordings, I had no idea who he was talking about. I had to look up the name.

Like I said, it was a long long time ago. ;)

Archived