Phil Collins ends his retirement

• Members

I think its hard for any dedicated musician to actually quit the business. I think Phil may have done well financially given all the hits he had but it really comes down to the lifestyle you live. If his health is failing he may just want to go out doing what he loves most. Nothing wrong with that so long as you still got something worth listening to and don't embarrass yourself in the process.

• Members

A real musician is something he or she is, not what he or she does.

For most of us, as long as we are healthy enough to keep our chops up to a high level, there is no retirement.

Those who retire because they are tired of being a musician, are not what he or she is, but what he or she does.

Of course that's my opinion, and you have a right to disagree.

Good luck Mr. Collins, I hope you are healthy enough to play well.

Insights and incites by Notes

A real musician is something he or she is, not what he or she does.

For most of us, as long as we are healthy enough to keep our chops up to a high level, there is no retirement.

Those who retire because they are tired of being a musician, are not what he or she is, but what he or she does.

My thoughts exactly! :philthumb: :philthumb: :philthumb: :philthumb:

• Members
Cool. Best wishes for him. I like what I know of the guy and never knew why he received so much vitriol for some of his stuff.

He was just over-saturated at the time. People eventually lash back when you hear the same voice singing on what seems like half the songs on the radio.

Plus, like most artists who reach huge success, it starts to become a formula and wear thin after awhile. I still think "Face Value" is one of THE best albums ever released by any artist, ever. But even just a couple of albums later, most of the soul that made that album so special was missing.

Love Phil, though. Hope his health stays good and would love to see him live at least once more.

• Members

He sure sold allot of albums. I think he was more popular in his solo career then he was with Genesis. I think I bought one Genesis album back in the 70's, some live album they did. when Moog music was the big thing. I wasn't that impressed with the music and its sat on the shelf ever since.

One thing you can say, 150 million World Wide and 33 Million in the US is a lot of albums. Only McCartney and Michael Jackson were in that league. I got burned out hearing all of them all on the radio.

Archived