VOCAL RANGES OF GREAT POP SINGERS, COMPARED

• Members

Worth noting that Steven Tyler, James Brown, and Marvin Gaye are listed with almost exactly the same range.

Obviously this was James brown early in his career when he still sang. Long a fan of his funk, I was shocked to get an album of his R&B, he actually had a nice, moderately flexible R&B voice in the early days.

But consider the contrasts between Tyler and Gaye.

Also, I see Bob Dylan in there... that raises so many questions about how they even measured...

• Members

Yea this looks like its centered around older songs. Some don't make sense but maybe I am mixing up tone with pitch.

When I compare Roy Orbison who hits those high notes on songs like Pretty Woman and Joe Cocker anything, I just cant picture Joe singing higher notes without pulling his left nut trying to hit the note and Roy singing a perfectly pure tone with no strain.

Another is Lou Reid. He speaks the notes more than he does sing them and I really cant think of a song he sings at high pitch.

Then you have McCartney singing all those falsettos in his old material and stuff like Maybe I'm amazed or Let it Be and he's way up there.

• Members

What the heck note is McCartney hitting here at 1:49?

It's either the same B5 he hits on Money, or is it actually a B6???

Gets a little harder to tell with falsetto sometimes at least for me...

[video=youtube_share;G0IzqoMYa6M]

nat whilk ii

• Members
Minnie Ripperton has a voice so high only dogs can hear it. She's not even on the chart, while Karen Carpenter has only a couple of octaves. It's completely meaningless. Should we compare penis sizes too?

Well for the guys who hit the high notes you need a magnifying glass to make comparisons. .

• Members
Minnie Ripperton has a voice so high only dogs can hear it.

Mariah Carey has a similar range, but according to this chart, she can only sing a few notes higher than does Axl Rose.

What an asinine chart. It would have been nice had they noted what criteria they used to come up with these 'ranges'. Because obviously listening to the recorded vocal performances of these singers was not something they did.

Archived