SWEET U.S.A.

• Members

As most of you already know, I'm a Canadian close to the US border. We buy some U.S. groceries occasionally and we have noticed something. Almost all U.S. food is SWEETER than Canadian food. Cereals and most soda pops come to mind. For a while Krispy Kreme came to my home town and only lasted a few years. Why? Everyone I spoke with about it said their "Donuts are too sweet". I recently read that soda pop is a major contributing factor to obesity in the U.S.. So it is little wonder why the "Biggest Loser" is so popular today ? I'm not skinny by any means, but I suspect that I would be 10-20 lbs heavier if I grew up in the U.S.

Dan

• Members

Canada and the US share nearly identical obesity rates (both too high), so I think you'll need another point of comparison.

But when you are already 50 pounds overweight, 10-20 more won't show up on your comparison chart. You are obese both ways. I agree that we are very close , but it seems to me that the U.S. is even sweeter. Even some brands of spagetti sauce have sugar in them, lots of sugar! Tell that to a diabetic.

Dan

• Members

But when you are already 50 pounds overweight, 10-20 more won't show up on your comparison chart.

Well, I'm 5' 11" and weigh 170 at age 40, so I guess I must not have the sweet tooth that some others have. Or, more likely, my genetics help me have a fast metabolism and I don't need to watch my food intake as much as most people, regardless of diet.

• Members

As for obesity, it's crappy processed food, fast food, soda, sedentary lifestyles, too much working, nutrient-deficient soil from overfarming, stress, and probably a few other issues that I'm forgetting right now.

I think you've summed up the problem very well in that sentence.

I would also add that most Americans have a 2d pallet. It has to be salty and/or sweet, otherwise they won't eat it. I love Brocoli Rabe and other bitter greens, however most Americans like to stay far away from that type of stuff.

Add to it the food science behind the products, they are engineered to keep you from feeling full, to make you want more. If you eat white/refined grains, you will be hungry quick, if you eat whole grains, you will be satiated much longer.

• Members

Krispy Kreme
is
too sweet...

This statement is just SO WRONG! :facepalm:

The fresh & hot Krispy Kreme glazed donut is the food of the gods! :love:

They totally smoke those leathery things Dunkin Donuts puts out there.

BTW - I grew up on Dunkin Donuts so this is not a regional bias.

Also, I really like Tim Horton's donuts as well but will take a KK glazed against a TH glazed any day.

Having said all that, I agree that most processed US foods are loaded with too much sugar or, even worse, high fructose corn sweetener. We've been attempting to curb our intake of the nasty stuff at our house lately.

• Members

This statement is just SO WRONG!
:facepalm:

The fresh & hot Krispy Kreme glazed donut is the food of the gods!
:love:

To each his own, obviously, but it's just waaaaay too sweet for me.

My favorite donut in general is the apple fritter. Now, most people don't make it like Scotty's Donuts used to, the donut shop of choice when I was in high school. They put large chunks of apple in it, and it was appealingly sweet and, uh, fritterish, and the most delicious thing on earth. However, a mediocre apple fritter - the kind that most donut shops have - is still a beautiful thing.

• Members

It's not
sugar
in processed food that leads to obesity. It's high fructose corn syrup, a sweetener, which is added to everything from bread to, spaghetti sauce, and of course soda pop. One ten ounce can of regular Coke has the equivalent of ten teaspoons of sugar in it.

Not only is added high fructose corn syrup one of the leading causes of obesity, it's also one of the leading causes of diabetes.

Science moves forward and it is important to dispell old health myths when new data and studies prove them wrong. HFCS is no worse than sugar, and has no causal link to obesity.

Dispelled - High Fructose Corn Syrup Causal Link To Obesity

A key finding is that studies on the effects of fructose have been used to support the myth of the obesity link for "high fructose corn syrup", which is NOT pure fructose.

For years, widespread confusion about the sweetener has existed within the scientific community and general public, fueled by erroneous links to research utilizing pure fructose, as well as by misinformation about the differences between pure fructose and high fructose corn syrup. High fructose corn syrup never contains fructose alone. Like sucrose, high fructose corn syrup is always in combination with a roughly equivalent amount of a second sugar, glucose.

However, Dr. White said,

• Members

Many moons ago when I was a youngster and had a paper route I would stop for a break in the middle of my deliveries for a cream filled turnover pastry. This thing had to blow away any doughnut out there for calories, but I was addicted. You would think that doing this on a daily basis for the couple of years that I did it would catch up with me, but it never did. I think that metabolism rate has as much to do with obesity as specific eating habits. I have a very high metabolism and always have. In college I tipped the scales at 5'10" and a whopping 113. I could eat anything I wanted in any quantity and not gain weight (I tried to). Of course, it had its advantage, or so I thought, at the time in that I was well under the required 129 for my height to get drafted. Now, 40 years later I have achieved 160 or so. I am no longer much of a sweet eater, in fact I don't even have any sugar (or salt) in the house, but I do have a bowl of ice cream nearly every night, and I eat reasonably, not making a pig of myself (anymore). One good thing about this recession is that I have stopped eating at restaurants for EVERY meal and now eat every meal at home. This has resulted in smaller portions and eliminated some things that were probably bad for me. No more 12 ounce steaks (8 ounce at home), no more french fries at lunch (apple instead), etc.....

• Members

well it is definitely true because i have experienced it and especially so in Europe but I have to say Christian and no offense man, I go through Canada a lot as I lived in AK for 8 years..There are A LOT OF FAT PEOPLE in Canada as well as the US. But I agree. They are definitely trying to fatten us up and kill us. :)

Archived