Rubber heads vs Mesh heads

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber heads vs Mesh heads

Hi All,

I am moving and am looking at buying a medium quality electronic drum kit for recording (only play a little myself but going to create a small studio).

A quick question, how loud are mesh heads? Are they equivalent to an acoustic drum set or significantly lower in dB's?

If so i will have to get rubber heads to not annoy the neighbors, and will just have to annoy the drummers instead.

Thanks for any replies!

CHeers

JK

Mesh heads are actually really quiet compared to regular drum heads. The main concern I'd have is if you're in an apartment above someone else - they might hear your bass drum pedal through the roof, but that will be an issue with mesh or rubber heads. Outside of that, given half-way decent walls, I doubt you'll have too much problems with annoying the neighbors.

This clip gives you a really good idea of how loud mesh heads are in the room, without amplification:

This one does the same thing, except with rubber pads:

Both videos first give you the amplified sound (what you'd hear in headphones) and then in the second half, they show the actual sound of the sticks hitting the heads. Hopefully they'll give you a better idea of what to expect from each. Good luck with your new studio, and make sure you drop by the Studio Trenches forum here on HC if you have any recording related questions.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

I have the Yamaha combination. ONly the snare has the mesh head, the rest is rubber.

I initially set out to buy the Roland kit, but I liked the Yamaha kit better. My budget was a grand.

Yamaha DTX522K Electronic Drum Set
      Last edited by Mikeo; 11-07-2018, 07:19 AM.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I prefer mesh fake drum heads, YMMV

Comment

Of the one's I've worked with, rubber are louder than mesh. And harder on my wrists.

-D44
          ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
          - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
          - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
          - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
          Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

I find mesh gives you the best response, stay silent, and have less mis-triggers than rubber.
            D
            Keeping the Harmony at Harmony Central

Comment

if i have to play with electronic toys i prefer mesh heads... no offense but my preference remains acoustic drums.
              Originally posted by isaac42;n32240445

Voltan is correct.

Comment

Working...
              X