Seriously considering a cheap acoustic. Should I pass?

erok123

• Members

I have no experience with that guitar but if you believe the ad it must be pretty incredible. Obviously if you could play it yourself you could make up your own mind.

Remember that three things go into making a guitar cheap (or expensive) - the materials, the worksmanship, and the company behind it. Almost every bottom line budget guitar that I have encountered needed work to make it playable - can you do that (I charge 30 bucks an hour for my shop work, a complete setup might take three or four hours)? Inexpensive guitars tend to not sound very good, but again, your definition of "good" might be different than mine. If you are just going to play it amplified it might not matter much. And while Guitar Fetish has been around for a while (and sells a lot of electric stuff) can you count on them for warrenty service and support?

The nice thing about a cheap guitar is that if you don't like it you don't have much money invested - you can take it on camping trips and to parties and not worry about it.

• Members

I have no experience of that guitar either, sorry. But there are some quite good guitars around these days for very reasonable prices.

My most-played guitar cost less than 2/3rds that price new (I bought it used) so you could strike it lucky.

• Members

There are a lot of decent cheap guitars out there. As noted above, a setup will do wonders for a cheap guitar, but it also costs. You may be better off spending $250 on a better quality used piece that's already been set up (vs. $170 + setup).

My Yamaha FGX700SC was purchased used, setup, with a hardshell case for $225 and works great.

• Members

My first guitar was in that price range (before all the reductions you can see in your link ;). Solid Spruce top, laminated back and sides,...it sounded FANTASTIC! I gave it to a friend who wanted to get started in guitar, and everytie I went there and played it I remembered how much i liked it! It was a Vintage V800. But, I got to play it in the shop before I bought it...

Lots of good guitars around....

• Members

A remotely decent new solid topped acoustic with no electronics will typically cost $200-250. You can find offerings from Alvarez, Epiphone, Recording King, and Yamaha, among others. A new solid topped guitar with electronics under $300 is a gamble, IMHO. If you know what to look for, a used acoustic from a music store, pawn shop or CraigsList can be a good deal.

• Members

Those are great guitars for the money. Chinese. Lam back and sides solid spruce top. Decent UST pickup system too. I have played examples twice and they were solid with no issues. Basically you pay less because there's no known brand name like Yamaha or Epiphone

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The ad DOES sound amazing, But I am suspect...mainly because I can be pessimistic. You could buy it and see...or consider a SEAGULL. I own 3 seagulls and use one at gigs every weekend for many years, Solid, well made, good sounding instruments, Initially, they were very cheap..but as their rep has grown..so has the price...but buy one used. Exc Value for the money.

• Members

I have had two Xaviere Acoustics and still have one.

The one I've had and passed on was the Maple dread.It got caught in the bad winter two or three years ago and arrived very dry and with sharp fret ends. Soundwise it was a bit meh, but build quality was better than expected.

The one I still own is the top of the range all solid XV580SS. Solid build quality and a sound that is not as good as they claim it to be, but still usable. I would call it a tad warmer and more Gibson'y than a Yammie FJ730S.

In general, they are better than what you expect - at least the XV580SS that I own.

Archived