Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Love Dropped 'D' Tuning

I've spent most of the night playing "Shine" by Collective soul.

What are some of your favorite dropped 'D' tuning songs?

I think my favorite is 'Everlong' by the Foo Fighters.
    "Hurry up and paddle, I hear banjo music"

Gibson CJ-165EC
    Gibson Les Paul Jr. Robot
    Santa Cruz OMM Hog/Carpathian
    Fender Telecaster
    Yamaha 335-TBS
    Ibanez AS-73
    Yamaha G-240 Classical
    Great Divide Parlor

Not much of a song in length but Stephen Stills' Find The Cost Of Freedom has a nice vibe.

Comment

"Those Who Waot" by Tommy Emmanuel, though technically all his strings are dropped down a 1/2 step and then the low E is dropped down another full step to C# giving his Maton dread a deeper rumble:

Nigel Hawkins

Comment

I really like drop D tuning, too.

Okay, this is not the best video recording, but this guy is The Master:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv7cRnersv4
        Circular logic is best because it's circular.

Comment

Emmanual ia an alien, and I don't mean from another country.
          Did you ever see him play Classical Gas! Ouch! He's inhuman.

Comment

I thought TE's Maton was a 000/OM?

Comment

I like dropped D a lot too.

I have an arrangement of Connection (and old Stones tune) that I do in dropped D. It's not really like anybody else's arrangement, although it is influenced quite a bit by the Montrose version. They did a hard rock, electric guitar intro, though, so I had to come up with my own variation. World Turning is another in dropped D.

If you go to dropped D plus a capo, you get some cool songs like Acadian Driftwood by the Band (one of their grossly underappreciated gems). I'm even doing Here Comes the Sun in dropped D with a capo, although I think most people use standard tuning with a capo for that one.
              Brad

My music can be heard here: http://www.reverbnation.com/braduebinger

Comment

I thought TE's Maton was a 000/OM?

His main one is, but he also has a Maton dread with a cutaway that I saw him use live to play "Those Who Wait", "Questions" and "Initiation."
                Nigel Hawkins

Comment

Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden

Comment

I used to use a lot of drop D but in the last few years, I've moved more toward partial capo, faux drop D. At first, it was tough to shake the feeling I was cheating somehow.

It was years ago, but it took me a long time to train my hands and mind to deal with that D bass -- and, frankly, I was more than a little nervous about possibly displacing that knowledge by working in the partial capo D-bass thing.

But recently I've gotten increasingly into DADGAD, but I think it's kind of like languages; the more you sort of know, the easier it is to learn the next one. Or something. Anyhow, DADGAD gave me a whole new set of challenges (and possibilities, of course; funny I never really got into it before), so I stopped feeling funny about the capo.

(And I should say that my guitars are generally dropped a half-step, besides.)

‚Äč
                    music and social stuff

Comment

I've spent most of the night playing "Shine" by Collective soul.

What are some of your favorite dropped 'D' tuning songs?

I think my favorite is 'Everlong' by the Foo Fighters.

Funny you mention Everlong, I've recently been playing that alot too. Great tune!
                      2008 Guild F-50
                      2007 Blueridge BR-140
                      2013 J45
                      2013 CA Cargo

Comment

I used to use a lot of drop D but in the last few years, I've moved more toward partial capo, faux drop D. At first, it was tough to shake the feeling I was cheating somehow.

It was years ago, but it took me a long time to train my hands and mind to deal with that D bass -- and, frankly, I was more than a little nervous about possibly displacing that knowledge by working in the partial capo D-bass thing.

But recently I've gotten increasingly into DADGAD, but I think it's kind of like languages; the more you sort of know, the easier it is to learn the next one. Or something. Anyhow, DADGAD gave me a whole new set of challenges (and possibilities, of course; funny I never really got into it before), so I stopped feeling funny about the capo.

(And I should say that my guitars are generally dropped a half-step, besides.)

that sort of describes me, too. I would decide to learn a new tune & it would be in a different tuning I hadn't used before. I was a bit hesitant and intimidated at first by this. But in short order I understood I had no reason to fear open tunings.
                        but back to the topic at hand...
                        My drop-D list:

Comment

outshined by soundgarden

Comment

Comment

Drop-D for noobs (my first, and so far only, drop-D song):

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">
                                Frog Rock Tenor Uke
                                Frog Rock 00-12
                                The thing with Chinese guitars is that when I play one, half an hour later I want to play it again... -- Knockwood
                                If you know who wrote it, it ain't folk music. -- DHone
                                Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. -- Richard Feynman
                                De recta non tolerandum sunt. -- Monty Python

Comment

Working...
                                X