Best guitar i could get for my $600 range

gamemax300

• Members

For $600, you've got quite a few options. Asking about the best guitar in any price range is like asking about the best color. Everyone is going to have their personal favorite(s) and you'll get lots of opinions. And since they're opinions, one isn't any better than the next.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Godin products. You could get a very nice Seagull or Simon & Patrick for $600. For $600, a used Guild or Martin wouldn't be out of reach. Those would both be good choices as well. Lots of folks around here like Yamaha and Alvarez. DeepEnd has an Ibanez (I think) that he's quite fond of. If you're looking for a good dedicated acoustic-electric, Ovation and Takamine would be worth a look as well.

The best way to make sure you're getting the best bang for your buck is to actually go out and play a bunch of different guitars. You may end up finding a $400 guitar that sounds better than the $600 Taylor you've got your heart set on. You'll never know until you try :thu:.

• Members

For $600, you've got quite a few options. Asking about the best guitar in
any
price range is like asking about the best color. Everyone is going to have their personal favorite(s) and you'll get lots of opinions. And since they're opinions, one isn't any better than the next.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Godin products. You could get a very nice Seagull or Simon & Patrick for $600. For $600, a used Guild or Martin wouldn't be out of reach. Those would both be good choices as well. Lots of folks around here like Yamaha and Alvarez. DeepEnd has an Ibanez (I think) that he's quite fond of. If you're looking for a good dedicated acoustic-electric, Ovation and Takamine would be worth a look as well.

The best way to make sure you're getting the best bang for your buck is to actually go out and play a bunch of different guitars. You may end up finding a $400 guitar that sounds better than the $600 Taylor you've got your heart set on. You'll never know until you try
:thu:

+1 bump

Own many Seagull's over the years and never let me down.

Good suggestion about trying as many guitars as you can to find that one that sounds best to you.

• Members

. . . DeepEnd has an Ibanez (I think) that he's quite fond of. . . .

True. I own an AW120, part of the Artwood series and I like it a lot. Still, mine is a $350 guitar. You can buy more expensive Ibanez models but in your case I have a different suggestion: Waldens have a neck profile that's similar to Taylor but you might have to look before you find a dealer. They have several models under $600.

• Members

I'm going to step out on a limb here... For $500 you can get a Martin DX1. It will hold it's re-sale value should you want to upgrade down the road, it's built like a tank so you CAN travel or campfire with it, it DOES have that Martin tone, plays great and has a really nice neck profile.

A lot of people don't like that High Presure Laminate (HPL) sides and back and will tell you solid wood is "better". Well, comparable guits in that price range new don't sound like a Martin so if you do like Martin tone, it's not better. Ironically, the same people will reccomend graphite guitars...

With the $100 left over, you can buy a gig bag or a nice pick up and amplify it. They sound GREAT amped.

• Members

Not sure you can get a Larrivee for $600, though. At least not new.

Not anymore. Five years ago you could get a P-01 for a little over $300 and an L-03 for around $600. Now the P-01s are discontinued and have actually appreciated in value to around $500 though they're hard to find and the 03 series is around the $1000 mark new (though you can still find used ones around $500-$600.)

• Members

That was my spending limit when i bought my first guitar with my own money and i played everything i could get my hands on. I actually ended up going with an Epiphone Masterbilt. Regular acoustic and had a pickup put in it because i wasn't fond of the one it came with.

But it is all your preference.

• Members

I played everything at guitar center under $800 on two separate trips and each time i like the Yamaha FGX730SC the most. They did NOT have an LL6 though so i still wonder about that. but even so, its not a cutaway nor does it have electronics like the FGX.

The FGX just played really nicely, i like the neck a lot. The sound was very full and balanced and it resonated great and just sort of played itself. It really stood out.

I felt the composite guitars were very bassy and boomy.

Archived