warning .... oh boll*cks

rickoshea

• Members

all this building is great, but I needed to play my favourite git a bit. Never, but never, ever, leave your hardcase standing unattended on its end. It will fall and this may just happen to you :

oh_crap3.jpg

oh_crap1.jpg

My precious Crafter GAE-45N. This is the closest I've come to tears since my son hit me in the nuts with a tennis ball last week. This is also the reason why I added the reinforcement strip into the headstock/neck junction of my build guitar ... this would not have happened.

repair time then. I had to make 2 clamping cauls shaped to the headstock/neck junction. Not easy in wood but in silicon (usually used for crown impressions ) - it sets like a brick and is perfectly adapted to where its needed :

repair5.jpg

repair3.jpg

then I had to bloody open the crack (waiting for the whole headstock to snap clean off) to syringe in titebond :

repair2.jpg

and clamp her up :

repair4.jpg

I left it for 2 hours, took the clamps off and sanded flush then drop filled any gaps with superglue :

repair_finish4.jpg

another hour of wait then lots of sanding before finishing with Tru-Oil - I've still maybe 2 coats to apply :

repair_finish2.jpg

repair_finish1.jpg

its turned out pretty well but please .... pleaseeeeeee dont leave your cases upright :facepalm:

• Members

Ouch and Dang! But darn nice whiplash repair job. :thu:

Sales of Tuf-carve must've cratered once luthiers discovered that dental stuff. Fast setting and clean and so great to be able to take a mold without having to worry about it reacting w/ the finish.

• Members

Ouch and Dang! But darn nice whiplash repair job.
:thu:

Sales of Tuf-carve must've cratered once luthiers discovered that dental stuff. Fast setting and clean and so great to be able to take a mold without having to worry about it reacting w/ the finish.

aye - its great stuff and totally dimensionally stable (which is why we use it for crown and bridgework). You can take a nice impression of your face with it too :thu::lol:

• Members

aye - its great stuff and totally dimensionally stable (which is why we use it for crown and bridgework). You can take a nice impression of your face with it too
:thu::lol:

Somewhere I've got pictures of a really interesting jig to do cello neck grafts. The ply'd jig gives you something stable to clamp against, but it's lined with that dental mold stuff. I know you use it professionally, but did it just occur to you to use here, or had you heard about it being used for instrument repairs?

That must've been traumatic, but it does look like it turned out well. Good thing you're handy!

• Members

all this building is great, but I needed to play my favourite git a bit. Never, but never, ever, leave your hardcase standing unattended on its end. It
will
fall and this may just happen to you :

My precious Crafter GAE-45N. This is the closest I've come to tears since my son hit me in the nuts with a tennis ball last week. This is also the reason why I added the reinforcement strip into the headstock/neck junction of my build guitar ... this would not have happened.

repair time then. I had to make 2 clamping cauls shaped to the headstock/neck junction. Not easy in wood but in silicon (usually used for crown impressions ) - it sets like a brick and is perfectly adapted to where its needed :

See? That's why Taylors > Crafter: the scarf joint. ;)

Just kidding. I really don't have an educated opinion on either brand. The "Taylor tone" just doesn't suit me and that's all I should say about that.

Still, I have to laugh about the tennis ball to the crotch thing. I have two boys age 3 and 6. I don't think either wants any more siblings! ;)

Anyway, I give you credit for taking it upon yourself to repair it and do it so quickly. I'd be moaning about it for years and using it as an excuse to buy a new guitar. :cry::idea:;)

• Members

Somewhere I've got pictures of a really interesting jig to do cello neck grafts. The ply'd jig gives you something stable to clamp against, but it's lined with that dental mold stuff. I know you use it professionally, but
did it just occur to you to use here
, or had you heard about it being used for instrument repairs?

That must've been traumatic, but it does look like it turned out well. Good thing you're handy!

it did actually. When I cracked my beloved guitar I really thought it was just salvage for future builds. Gary told me how to do the repair but I just couldn't get a decent clamping caul made from wood. It was a flash of inspiration while I was taking imps at work on some poor French victim :thu:

Strangely enough, and my wife will back me up on this :facepalm:, I'm probably the least handy person you'd ever meet around the house. I take down half a wall putting rawl plugs in, short out a house drilling in curtain tie backs and generally make a balls of things lol. So far all is "good with wood" thankfully :lol:

• Members

Very clever Doc! :thu:

Using sil for wood repair occurred to my wife while she was at the dentists. :) That was a few years ago now, but I remember how jazzed she was about it once she started using it. They got the first few cans through him, but use so much of it now they had to find a supplier. Great stuff!

• Members

Never Ignore Your Crafter!

Thought you knew that,

I think it was jealous you been spending so much of your time on other guitars,

What better way to get you attention?

Your newly developing skills were a very handy thing in more ways than one.

Looks like you are doing well. My deepest sympathy for the damage to the Crafter But a hearty "way to go" at the repair work!

• Members

Oh bugger fu*k wank!

Looks like you did a truly brilliant repair job, though. :thu: You really seem to have the touch for this kind of stuff, man. I am very impressed.

And thanks for the warning. Before hanging my gits on the walls a few months ago, I used to ALWAYS keep them upright in their cases. I was using Dampits, and I was worried that if I left them sideways, I might cause some water damage if the things rested against the interior of the sides... It probably was a matter of time, though, before something like what happened to your Crafter happened to one of my gits. And then I'd have had to ship the thing to France for repair...

Anyway, here's a great vid I found on the topic of proper guitar storage.

• Members

Great fix, big fella.

ran to the corner of the room. Put my guitar case flat on the floor as soon as I read your post. {censored} scared I'm going to step on it now. :)

Knockwood. I refuse to click on that link. I will never click on that link. No. No. No. No.

Aaaaargh! I clicked on the link!

Very informative though.

• Members

I found the picture of that jig.

IMG_4738.JPG

The turbosil keeps the scroll stable so you can carve out the inner pegbox where it joins to the new neck. No clamp marks and no marring of the finish.

So anyway, again, great work! :thu:

• Members

thanks all :thu: .... she's strung up and playing fine thankfully, in fact she never sounded so good, purely because I thought my wee favourite was a goner.

.... and yes Tim, thats the last time I'll ignore her :lol:

James ... that's a nice jig but just look at the head of that cello. Now that is truly beautiful :)

Knock my friend, I'll only be impressed when, in some strange hacker-like fashion, you make good ol Rick play when my laptop starts :poke: ;), Plus, he's sort of growing on me - a bit like a fungus.

• Members

thanks all
:thu:
.... she's strung up and playing fine thankfully, in fact she never sounded so good, purely because I thought my wee favourite was a goner.

The tone-enhancing properties of Tite-bond are well established. :lol:

James ... that's a nice jig but just look at the head of that cello. Now
that
is truly beautiful
:)

That Tecchler is still the most beautiful sounding instrument I've ever heard.

• 1 month later...

Archived