What does a strat sound like?

papaschtroumpf

• Members

I have only been playing for a couple of years have only played humbucker guitars. I just finished putting together a telecaster from junk parts (mostly a squier affinity).

Now that I'm done, I don't really know to tell if it sounds like strat. I have a cheap set of DragonFire pickups in it which they claim "sounds like an MiM strat". The original Squier pickups sound kinda different, a lot " sweeter" to my ear.

So which ones are closer to a "classic strat"? Are there recordings that can give me an idea of what makes a strat a strat ? I'm not sure what it means, I know how Gilmour or Clapton sound with a strat, but they have effects and stuff behind it too.

• Members
I've never played a strat before' date=' but that's what I'm finding out with my new toy. Especially position 4(?) Neck+middle.[/quote']

That was my preference as well, when I had a Strat. A friend uses the middle pickup exclusively on his Ibanez Strat-style.

• Members

you know papa, I re-read your post, and I personally think someone should smack you upside the head. you have been playing for a while, and had no clue as to what a strat sounded like? Never listened to Hendrix? or Stevie Ray Vaughn? Jimmy Vaughn? Dire Straights? Eric Clapton, (after he lost his balls)? Modern Pete Townsand, or any other thousand and half guitarist out there? REALLY? I find it impossible to believe.

• Members

@badpenguin: the problem is that a strat can sound like so many things, so I was more along what makes a start sound like a strat. I expected my pickups to have a lot of high end, but that's not the case. I expected them to sound thin on single PU, they do, but as much as I thought.

I guess the Sultan of Swings example was a great answer to my question, I think that's the "quack" people sometime refer to?

I think the original Squier pickups did sound thinner than the DragonFire ones. But they also had a more pure? Bell-like? Less rich? tone on the single pickups, especially the neck or middle.maybe the DragonFire are wound more? They don't sound like P90s, but they have more of that richness that I associate with P90s (with humbucker taking it a step further)

So I was trying to figure out which is the most strat-like, if that workd even means anything.

I'm the end I will try and swap them again to see which I like best.

I tried to go to guitar center to try a MIA Fender strat, but between the unfamiliar amp and background noise, that was an exercise in futility. Especially because I didn't have my guitar with me to A/B on the spot.

• Members

The strat was designed to be a country guitar but it had the potential for a lot more than that. Jimi showed us a whole different side to it and spawned a new generation a strat players. Jeff Beck took it to yet another level and maybe the OP will do the same.

As I said in a previous post, it can sound like whatever you want it to.

[video=youtube;Zjjmuz_wEzU]

• Members

To me, the crux of the true Strat sound is to be found in the springs. I know that a lot of folks block the trem and take a lot of that sound out of the equation. I once owned a Washburn WM-3 which was a set-neck Strat with a TOM bridge and tailpiece. Even though it had three Strat pickups with a five way switch, it didn't sound much like a Strat even in the quack positions. Nice sounding guitar but it sounded more like a Les Paul with singles. My 89 American Strat was blocked when I picked it up, and I had to do a lot of work to restore it to it's former glory including backing out trem claw screws which scared the crap out of me. But when I was done with it the difference was night and day.

I love Strats and the sound they make, so much so that I have four of them with different pickup configurations and body woods - each is unique sounding, but they all have that characteristic natural reverb coming from the springs. I was listening to a CD by The Modern Lovers on the way home from work today and thinking how great Richman's Strat sounded for the Rhythm work he was doing. He plays clean rhythm and you can really hear that Strat spank:

[video=youtube;Kc2iLAubras]

I'm probably biased, but I don't think there's a better guitar for rhythm work.

Archived